throwback week

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By general counsel
  • 7 Post By RebelYell
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: The one draft day comment i despise......

general counsel is offline Registered User

The one draft day comment i despise......

One inevitable comment (not seen very often on this board due to the high level of intelligence) that drives me crazy on draft day. "If we wanted that guy (fill in name), we could have had taken him in round _____ (fill in future round)"

I always have the same response when i hear that comment, no matter what player it relates to, what team or what position. My response is the following: "If you have those kind of psychic powers, why are you watching the nfl draft when you could be out buying winning lottery tickets."

Unless anyone has prior knowledge of every other teams draft board, which is of course impossible, there is no definitive way to know when a player would be taken if you dont pick him. Sure, you can use your own insight and your own inside knowledge of what others might do, but there are certainly no guarantees and for sure the tv talking heads dont have that information (as they are the masters of knowledge of inside "disinformation").

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    HUbison and DE_Ramfan like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: The one draft day comment i despise......

I think that the most apt exception that proves the rule here is with our own 2nd round pick from last year. Anyone who had seen Brian Quick play and thought that he was a solid 2nd round pick was correct, and fans from the lower half of the round probably were really high on him... the Texans for example. Some fans might have suggested that they needed to draft him in the 1st because he wouldn't last to their 2nd round pick. They would be right, as then some crazy team(in this case, the Rams) comes along and drafts him higher than what the talking heads have said about his value.

This draft I see a bunch of names coming up that have bee deep in the 2nd-3rd round and are now getting 1st round picks in mocks. Just today I heard that there very well will be 6-7 OT's taken in the first round because of the huge rush at the top, the bottom half teams will have to go after Watson, Armstead and Pugh to have any kind of starting quality. This could be a huge issue for teams like Miami and San Diego, where if they miss out on the top talent, they very likely will miss out on the 2nd tier as well.

I also have now heard DJ Swearinger as a potential 1st round Safety along with Reid and Vaccaro. I think that it is more and more likely that we could be a Safety in the 1st, possibly even with our #16 pick if one of the top OG talents don't fall to us. Maybe even if they do.

One last one, I saw a projection for Tyler Eifert to go to the Browns, assuming a trade down, but listed at #6. This is the super double secret smokescreen season, but as anyone knows, the draft is terribly hard to predict. So at the end of the day, GC is absolutely right. If there's a guy you like and he's got a grade at or near the top of your board, you take him, because you don't know who else might have him graded the same.
    I believe!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

This thread is why this forum routinely fails. I had this thread being posted on Wednesday in my mock thread. What is this forum doing posting threads a day early when we could have had a high quality thread posted today?

Mark it down, this draft is ruined because of this thread.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    This thread is why this forum routinely fails. I had this thread being posted on Wednesday in my mock thread. What is this forum doing posting threads a day early when we could have had a high quality thread posted today?

Mark it down, this draft is ruined because of this thread.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Anything said by Kiper.
    Semper Fi!

richtree is offline Registered User

Yeah, but the one thing I do remember is when Aaron Hernandez was falling and the Rams had a chance in Round 4 and I was screaming at my TV and throwing something things when he was falling and we didn't trade up for him....and couple that we had just taken Mardy Gilyard......

those drafts make me so happy that there are people in place that I can now trust to give us a fighting chance.....and even get better and better each year, something Rams fans haven't seen in a long time...

can't wait !!!!!51 HOURS !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ZiaRam likes this.