Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,876
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    And why not!
    Why draft a fast WR if your not going to give him a chance!
    Maybe thats why Bruce was let go!
    We released Bruce because the coaching staff was so so high on Derek Stanley- and his 'purely brilliant' hands, which he must dunk in some sort of non-stick coating before game-time, that they thought Bruce was an unnecessary expendiature? I mean, it's like comparing THE Ram of the 1990's
    with a wet sock.

    Quote Originally Posted by randyram
    Or is it nobody is dumb enough to make that trade ? Not going to happen...
    Really? Let's examine our old friend the Trade Value Chart. The 27th pick, for example, is worth a total of 680 points. The 33rd pick, belonging to St. Louis, is valued at 580. The Rams 4th round pick has a value of 112 points. Already, a second and a fourth appears to match the 27th pick in terms of value. In the current climate, it may take more to get the deal done. A conditional pick in 2008 is the sort of thing that could suffice.

    Quote Originally Posted by randyram
    Or is it the O line can't block long enough to throw a deep pass ? Not going to happen...
    We've yet to see how the 2008 edition of the Rams OL will fare. There are new signings, and every primary backup on the 08' edition has starting experience, save Dustin Fry. We couln't block last year due to the plethora of injuries we sustained. I would by no means be opposed to an OT in round 2. I think it would be great. But if DeSean Jackson is available, then you have to explore that option. He looks like he could really excel in our system.

    Quote Originally Posted by randyram
    Or is it Bulger can't throw a good deep ball even he has enough time to throw one ? Not going to happen...
    That's very debatable. Not that we got to see much of it last year, but the Sean McDonald TD overtime win against Seattle, The Kevin Curtis TD and the Torry Holt TD drop in the playoffs against Atlanta a few years back are great examples of deep balls he's thrown really well in big games.

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I wouldnt mind this Avenger but now with this Fahkir Brown thing looming if we dont land Lito Sheppard before the draft and Cromartie is still there after the 20th pick I'd rather trade up for him.
    I don't like that idea at all. We've spent day one picks for three years running on cornerbacks. Give them a pass rush and see how they fare. I don't think another day one corner will come in and have a greater impact than Hill and co without one. (By the by, Tx, you know I'm setting you up for a joke about the 'great' impact Tye Hill is already having on this franchise...)
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-05-2008 at 02:15 AM.


  2. #17
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I don't like that idea at all. We've spent day one picks for three years running on cornerbacks. Give them a pass rush and see how they fare. I don't think another day one corner will come in and have a greater impact than Hill and co without one. (By the by, Tx, you know I'm setting you up for a joke about the 'great' impact Tye Hill is already having on this franchise...)
    I understand what your saying and I would agree with you but.....Now it will be with Hill being our number one which no one really knows if he can handle that. Bartell will now become our number two and Wade three. Not sure a pass rush can get there fast enough if these guys are getting torched. If we draft Chris Long or Gholston #1 why not try and get a corner? Or did you want to draft two defensive ends in a row? We can land a wr like Avery in the third and be ok at wr. In my opinion the needs are in this order de,cb,wr,ol. Saunders can make this offense work with average wr's (see Chiefs wr's when he was there). We have Holt who is above average he's great, and Bennett who I think and hope can play better. We also added Caldwell so we dont have to go wr day 1 in my opinion. Now if we land Lito Sheppard I'm all for going wr with our 2nd pick.
    Just Fix It

  3. #18
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    As I have said before Derek Stanley was a 7th round pick out of a DIV. III college just because he runs a 4.37 doesn't make him an NFL receiver.
    That can be true at times, but at this point we don't know either way what we have in Stanley.

    Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    If he was any good at all he would have been playing by now...
    Sorry I'm not buying that at all. Sometimes it takes time and or the right situation for a player to excel. Last year was hardly a good situation for any Ram to excel in, especially a rookie.

  4. #19
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,876
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Not sure a pass rush can get there fast enough if these guys are getting torched. If we draft Chris Long or Gholston #1 why not try and get a corner?
    Alright; but is the way to fix a problem that has been incurred through inexperience to add more inexperienced players?

    I think corner is definately a big need, but I don't think (for once) that high in the draft is the best way of adressing the issue. I agree with you in that a guy like Lito Sheppard may be the best route to pursue. Let's wait and see how the Fakhir Brown situation develops before we rush into anything. I'm still working under the premise that until it's made official, it's hearsay and hype.

  5. #20
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    I think it would be a huge mistake to grab Sheppard. Let's rebuild with young talent. We need everything from Equipment Manager to Beer Man in Section 444. The only things we don't need is starting QB, any RB, and K. Anything else, even TE, draft them. If Dorsey is the draft pick....great. Move Carriker to his natural position of DE. Don't tell me he isn't a DE. All I've heard from people who follow this sport for a living say he's better suited at DE. If it's Gholston...great. Hopefully Carriker can learn more on DT. If it's Chris Long, great. A natural DE. Jake Long...wonderful. We need quality on the O line.

    Shoot, I'd take Talib also. We need CB's. As for WR's, this is a deep draft with LOTS of talent. That kid from Cal is a stud. If we can get him for a bunch of beans and beer...do it.

  6. #21
    Wolf's Avatar
    Wolf is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    I like this idea. I really think he could be a weapon in all aspects on the field.

  7. #22
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,612
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think it would be a huge mistake to grab Sheppard. Let's rebuild with young talent. We need everything from Equipment Manager to Beer Man in Section 444. The only things we don't need is starting QB, any RB, and K. Anything else, even TE, draft them. If Dorsey is the draft pick....great. Move Carriker to his natural position of DE. Don't tell me he isn't a DE. All I've heard from people who follow this sport for a living say he's better suited at DE. If it's Gholston...great. Hopefully Carriker can learn more on DT. If it's Chris Long, great. A natural DE. Jake Long...wonderful. We need quality on the O line.

    Shoot, I'd take Talib also. We need CB's. As for WR's, this is a deep draft with LOTS of talent. That kid from Cal is a stud. If we can get him for a bunch of beans and beer...do it.
    Music to my ears. And I quote you once again I believe it was you atleast simply stating: It is going to be damn hard to screw this draft up.

    Anyways, I'd definitely trade up for DeSean Jackson, I've only heard great things. What team(s) in the 1st round are interested though? Nick, help me out here?


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  8. #23
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,864
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    I'm heavily against the trade for two main reasons. One, I am firmly in belief that a perfectly good WR will fall to #33, there's no reason to trade up, unless we desperately need a certain player. Desean Jackson is a great speed guy, but just like all smaller receivers, he has durability concerns. However, he is also the perfect compliment to the guys we have at the moment(knowledge and route running of Holt, height of Bennett), so if he falls, he'd be a great pick up. Second, we need all the draft picks we can get, and so if we don't have to trade up, we shouldn't. Furthermore, there are three QB's that will go in the late first or early second, which will either drive better rated players to #33 and/or allow us to trade down and gain more picks.

    So no, no trading up.

  9. #24
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,597
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    There is no way I make this deal simply because I believe there are WRs in this draft that will be better pros than Desean Jackson. James Hardy is one, Limas Sweed another and there are others.

    Not to mention that I believe there will be similar (but bigger) receivers to be had in later rounds.

    No denying his abilities once he's got the ball in his hands, but in order for me to make this trade, he's got to be a future number 1 receiver, and at this point, I don't see it.

  10. #25
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,491
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    There is no way I make this deal simply because I believe there are WRs in this draft that will be better pros than Desean Jackson. James Hardy is one, Limas Sweed another and there are others.
    I like what Hardy brings from an athletic and peformance standpoint, but that arrest for domestic violence (plea bargained) bothers me. As for Sweed, his wrist is a concern.

    No denying his abilities once he's got the ball in his hands, but in order for me to make this trade, he's got to be a future number 1 receiver, and at this point, I don't see it.
    I see a potential Steve Smith or Santana Moss.

  11. #26
    RANDYRAM Guest

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    I would rather have a extra speed rusher DE or RB !!

    Nick how much money are they going spend on WRs
    thats 9 pay checks!
    I think if they do get WR it will be in the later rounds!!
    It seems like theres way less $$$$ spent on RBs and DEs
    on the Rams it's time to even it out a little???

  12. #27
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,876
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    I
    Nick how much money are they going spend on WRs
    thats 9 pay checks!
    You'd think that a majority of those 9 will be cut before training camp.

  13. #28
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,300
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    Nick how much money are they going spend on WRs
    thats 9 pay checks!
    Not much. The salary costs for the nine receivers currently signed are...

    Holt: $5.65M
    Bennett: $2.5M
    Hall: $1.9M
    Caldwell: $645K
    Looker: $670K
    Hagans: $370K
    Stanley: $370K
    Williams: $445K
    Fowler: Unknown (ERFA, so it's low)

    So outside of Holt, Bennett, and Hall, everyone else is signed for pretty minimal cost. If we draft a rookie WR at pick #33, it's not going to be expensive either. Last year's 33rd pick (Alan Branch) has a salary of $370K this season. And in all likelihood, drafting a WR means someone with a minimal salary listed above is likely going to get released - probably Looker, Hagans, Williams, or Fowler.

  14. #29
    Dominating D's Avatar
    Dominating D is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I understand what your saying and I would agree with you but.....Now it will be with Hill being our number one which no one really knows if he can handle that. Bartell will now become our number two and Wade three. Not sure a pass rush can get there fast enough if these guys are getting torched. If we draft Chris Long or Gholston #1 why not try and get a corner? Or did you want to draft two defensive ends in a row? We can land a wr like Avery in the third and be ok at wr. In my opinion the needs are in this order de,cb,wr,ol. Saunders can make this offense work with average wr's (see Chiefs wr's when he was there). We have Holt who is above average he's great, and Bennett who I think and hope can play better. We also added Caldwell so we dont have to go wr day 1 in my opinion. Now if we land Lito Sheppard I'm all for going wr with our 2nd pick.
    Very good point regarding Saunders and the Chiefs WR.... What we need is a good OL and a healthy QB with a power running RB. WR is probably the least of the Rams concerns this upcoming season.....

  15. #30
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,597
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: The one guy I'd trade up (from pick #33 to late first round) to get

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like what Hardy brings from an athletic and peformance standpoint, but that arrest for domestic violence (plea bargained) bothers me. As for Sweed, his wrist is a concern.


    I see a potential Steve Smith or Santana Moss.
    At a listed 170 (which means he probably weighs about 160) i see no chance of him consistently lining up wide, which is the norm for a number one receiver. He'll be too easily bumped off routes, which means he'll either have to go in motion on every play, or line up in the slot. Again, not the norm for a number one.

    And by the way, both Steve Smith 185lbs, and Santana Moss 200lbs, are considerably bigger than Jackson.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-07-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  2. Gordo Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
  3. Wagoner's Mailbag: Feb 23
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-24-2008, 02:25 AM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, Jan 4th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  5. NFL Draft Countdown's Nov. 11 Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •