Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: One More Reason Not to Take a WR

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

One More Reason Not to Take a WR

Actually it's more than one reason, to be more accurate, more than one player, possible star receivers who will be coming out in 2015.

While 2014 looks to be a weaker year even than 2013 for top receivers, 2015 is looking like a banner year.

You think Sammy Watkins, a good 6-1, 208lb receiver, is worth a top pick off his 203 season of 85-1237-10 playing in a weak defensive league, especially pass defense?

That puts Watkins 10th in NCAA division I receiving yardage this year. The scoring total would put him even further down the list.

Now, imaging a 2015 draft, IF the Rams have avoided a WR pick in 2014, and IF the young , talented receivers already on the tream have not blossomed.

The Rams then could look at a group that includes 6-6, 230 pound Dorial Beckham Green, who is exploding into a superstar; 6-2, 216lb Davante Adams, who as a sophomore totalled 122-1645-23 at Fresno St.; 6-3 210lb Autin Hill, who had a huge 2012 and missed this year with a knee injury; 6-5, 234lb Kelvin Benjamin, who scored 14 tds on just 50 catches this season at FSU.

That's just the start of the bumper crop of big, fast, unbelievably productice receivers coming out in 2015.

I remember when the Cardinals reached for arguably the best WR in the draft back in 1984, Clyde Duncan. Almost no receivers from that draft, except Louis lipps, who had an OK career, made any mark on the NFL, and Irving Fryar the first overall pick, who never really lived up to that selection, at least not for a few years.

Because they had taken Duncan high, and had other good receivers, especially Roy Green the Big Red didn't "need" one in 1985.

That year's draft brought the NFL, Jerry Rice, Al Toon , Eddie Brown, Jessie Hester, Vance Johnson, Andre Reed, Reggie Langhorne, and Steve Tasker.

Had the Cardinals just waited a year, and had taken in that weak draft, say one of the four top OL taken, who all became stars, and made a modest 2 position trade up in 1985 to get Rice, instead of the Niners moving up to get him , who knows how history would have been changed for the Big Red.

Barry Waller

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: One More Reason Not to Take a WR

I'm all for developing our current crop of receivers since drafting another rookie just means wait another 3 years for them to fully develop. If Quick doesn't pan out in 2014, we can consider trading up for DGB.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

It is true, next years crop at face value looks to be a lot more talented, but I don't think that's a very good reason not to take someone now. At the end of the day all these guys are talented and are good at some things and bad at others. It's the coaching as well as their determination and dedication which separates college and the NFL.

Jerry Rice wouldn't be Jerry Rice if he wasn't one of the hardest working players on his team. And Matt Jones wouldn't be Matt Jones if he wasn't a drug addict.
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams then could look at a group that includes 6-6, 230 pound Dorial Beckham Green, who is exploding into a superstar; 6-2, 216lb Davante Adams, who as a sophomore totalled 122-1645-23 at Fresno St.; 6-3 210lb Autin Hill, who had a huge 2012 and missed this year with a knee injury; 6-5, 234lb Kelvin Benjamin, who scored 14 tds on just 50 catches this season at FSU.
    It sounds like Davante Adams will likely declare. Kelvin Benjamin could declare too. That could really change this list. Not so sure I would want to wait an extra year for two guys who might be beyond our reach in the draft when we are picking 25-32.
    lostsoul likes this.

Here is Youtube of Watkins vs Georgia, one of the few good teams they played.

You tell ME what is so special about him, except the dreds, which by the way would NOT play well in St Louis with some fans

Sammy Watkins vs Georgia 2013 - YouTube

I see nothing special whatsoever. I do see poor routes, at least two drops on easy balls, and lots of bubble screens, mediocre end arounds hardly anything deep at all. I see no willingness to block, no physicality on jump balls.

Check out his game log
    Sammy Watkins 2013 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Watkins may shine versus Maryland 14-163, or Virginia 8-169, but where was he against FSU?

In 2012 he lit up Wake Forest 8-202, and NC State, and did nothing the rest of the year.

His best year was his first, but he really hasn't been the same player since, good, but certainly NOT great.
    Barry Waller

Now let look at Evans.

In 2012 he lit up SMU 6-123, LA. Tech 4-137, and Old Miss 8-105, but did n't have over 100 yds against anyone else, with just 5 TDs on the year, not good for a big man in the red zone. Two of those TD were against Sam Houston State.

In 2013 Evans put himself on the map with HUGE games against Alabama and Auburn, with 563 of his total yards and 5 of his 12 TDS. Nice stuff against two great teams, so it seems, however;

Auburn in particular is bad against the pass, giving up almost 260 yards a GAME this year.

Sam Houston State and Mississippi State once again allowed Evans to pad his stats, but where was he against:

Missouri 4-8, SMU 2-57, LSU 4-51, UTEP 4-46, and OL Miss 4-46 ?

Sorry, but I like consistency in a really high #1 pick.

This tells me teams that might have good DBs shut him down. NFL teams all have good DBs, and many are big.
    Barry Waller

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

None of this years crop of receivers really jump off the page at me. Especially in the first round. Outside of a true Calvin Johnson type, of which I see none, I really don't see the need to add another rookie. Our biggest problem right now is the defensive secondary. We'll never win consistently while giving up 23-24 points a game.

Mikey is offline Registered User

If you try to run your draft on what the following year might yield you you're going to ruin your team. Worst possible way to live is of what I might be able to do next year if I don't do it this year. Draft for now, play for now and win for today.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not over the moon about this year's crop of receivers either, but it would seem to me that the same criticism being made of Watkins and Evans regarding a lot of their best production coming against less than impressive opponents could be made of DGB and Davante Adams this season as well.

It's easy to say "Wait until next year" when next year is so far away, but there's no guarantee that the Rams will be in a position to take one of these receivers in 2015. It could be another 2011 situation again, where most Rams fans acknowledged AJ Green was a pipedream but held out hope that the Rams could somehow find a way to get Julio Jones. Then, it turns out Jones is gone in the Top 6 due to a blockbuster trade.

So it's nice to know that, if the Rams for whatever reason don't address the receiver position in this year's draft, they'll have some intriguing options in 2015. But I don't know how much next year's predicted class at the position should play into the decisions to be made about this year's group, because ultimately, you never really know what's going to happen between then and now.
    lostsoul likes this.

I should note that I concentrate alot on Watkins, as far as this year's draft.

In reality, I like Evans much better, as a fit for what the Rams need, physicality and size and HANDS.

In the NFC West, NO ONE is going to get wide open much way downfield. against these pass rsuhes and DBS that are right in your face, that isn't gonna change, you need that guy that can catch an 8-15 yard pass over the middle or along the sideline consistently.

That's something the Rams thought they had in Cook, but his inconsistency and drops leave a big receiver a need.

There are some this year that can be had later too, but Evans seems to have the biggest upside.

I wouldn't take him top 10, but if they deal down and end up around 15 or 20, with extra picks, and have their OT in hand, I might be tempted to go after Evans.

Watkins? No way, no how, doesn't fit, too many negatives for the job open on this roster( Pettis' job).
    Barry Waller

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This reminds me of when most of the people on this board wanted the Rams to draft Suh in 2010, they (including myself) said: "Take Suh this year, and then Locker #1 overall next year, he's better than Bradford anyways" and look what happened. Locker stunk it up and had HUGE accuracy issues and ultimately dropped to #8. You can't predicate a draft on this type of stuff.
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

richtree is offline Registered User

brandon coleman,
    allen robinson,

and jarvis landry

sit back and learn something barry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Here is Youtube of Watkins vs Georgia, one of the few good teams they played.

You tell ME what is so special about him, except the dreds, which by the way would NOT play well in St Louis with some fans

Sammy Watkins vs Georgia 2013 - YouTube

I see nothing special whatsoever. I do see poor routes, at least two drops on easy balls, and lots of bubble screens, mediocre end arounds hardly anything deep at all. I see no willingness to block, no physicality on jump balls.

Check out his game log
    Sammy Watkins 2013 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Watkins may shine versus Maryland 14-163, or Virginia 8-169, but where was he against FSU?

In 2012 he lit up Wake Forest 8-202, and NC State, and did nothing the rest of the year.

His best year was his first, but he really hasn't been the same player since, good, but certainly NOT great.
    I guess that 80 yard TD catch where he outran the entire defense was nothing. Teams also run way more screens and short passes now because offenses have gotten smarter and know that getting the ball in the hands of your playmakers in space with high percentage throws is much more efficient than running long developing low completion percentage plays. This mostly catching balls near the line of scrimmage logic also could have been used to not draft Michael Crabtree but I am sure the ***** are glad they ignored it. In addition to this, Watkins appeared to block well on most plays so I'm not sure what you were watching and he has consistently put up great numbers the entire season so pointing out 1 poor performance does not prove that he has no NFL potential. Guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones and every receiver that has ever played have had the occasional bad game but in the macro picture Watkins has played very well this entire season. I agree that Watkins has flaws but posting a video of a game where he had 100+ yards against an SEC opponent and using it as evidence that he won't be able to play at the next level doesn't seem like a very strong argument to me.

This seems like some sort of analysis where you ignore anything positive because you have a confirmation bias. And if you're not going to draft someone because of their hair then I don't know what to say to you. I'm sure the Falcons are happy they have Roddy White and Julio Jones despite their hair not being up to par of the old man "get a haircut, hippie!" standard.
    sosa39rams likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

just sayin...georgia doesn't have a defense...many SEC teams don't have one...vastly overrated for a long time

but they were surely exposed this year

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

yeah passing on a good receiver because maybe next year we can get a better one just seems silly to me. If Watkins, Evans or Lee is there at pick 15-18 I don't see any reason we wouldn't take one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast