Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

One receiver I would like to see the Rams at least take a look at is...

...Juaquin Iglesias.

The Chicago Bears got down to the mandatory 53-man roster Saturday, handing out pink slips to a few notable players, including the organization's top two picks of the 2009 NFL draft, third-round choices wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias and defensive end Jarron Gilbert.

Iglesias saw action in only one game last season and failed in training camp and four preseason games to sway the staff into giving him another opportunity in 2010. The wideout out of Oklahoma averaged 21.3 yards on four catches in the preseason, including one touchdown reception. But Iglesias, who was slowed by injury early in camp, couldn't beat out veteran Rashied Davis -- who is also a special teams contributor -- for the final roster spot at receiver. A second-year player, Iglesias still has practice-squad eligibility, so there's a chance the receiver could be brought back.

Gilbert registered two sacks in the preseason, but failed to crack the defensive line rotation, beaten out by fellow 2009 draft class member Henry Melton and 2010 fourth-round selection Corey Wootton

A former third round pick, Iglesias was Sam Bradford's top receiver at Oklahoma during the 2007 and 2008 campaigns. He wasn't a fit in Chicago in the Martz offense, but he could be an effective possession receiver in a West Coast offense IMO. He's practice squad eligible, should he make it through waivers and the Rams don't want to spend an active roster spot on him. I think he'd at least be worth a look, given his skill set and the familiarity he had in college with Bradford.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Re: One receiver I would like to see the Rams at least take a look at is...

I would also like to add that Jarron Bilbert would be worth taking a look at! Wasnt he the guy who jumped out of a swimming pool?!

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...Juaquin Iglesias.

A former third round pick, Iglesias was Sam Bradford's top receiver at Oklahoma during the 2007 and 2008 campaigns. He wasn't a fit in Chicago in the Martz offense, but he could be an effective possession receiver in a West Coast offense IMO. He's practice squad eligible, should he make it through waivers and the Rams don't want to spend an active roster spot on him. I think he'd at least be worth a look, given his skill set and the familiarity he had in college with Bradford.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw he was cut - but then I've got to think that they'll be fancying putting Danario Alexander and/or Brandon McRae on the practice squad.
    Going off topic a bit, which running back that has become available would you prefer Nick?

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Juaquin Iglesias

Juaquin Iglesias has been cut by the bears. But the kid is a rookie, and I think he's worth a 1 yr contract to see if he can recreate some chemistry with Bradford. At this point, if we ain't gonna sign a #1 like VJAX, we gotta take some long shots.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Re: Juaquin Iglesias

He's a perfect fit for our system, and with the chemistry he can transition with Bradford, he looks like he can develop quickly.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Juaquin Iglesias

Exactly although I'm tired of waiting for WR's.

MACD is offline Registered User

This thread made me think a little more about Bradford and his receivers at OU...I don't think you could say he ever had a speed-burner deep threat at WR. Sure he threw deep and successfully, but we never said "boy that WR is a great deep threat." It was more a matter of play selection and setting up the deep ball...maybe that translates to the NFL or maybe not, but it was the situation in college.

footballbme is offline Registered User

Nick...My thoughts, exactly. Juaq caught everyting that Sam chucked within three yards of him. To say that there is a chemistry there is an understatement. Malcomb Kelly was a "bigger/better" target, yet Sam showed preference for Juaq every time. Could it be because he simply caught everything? Only costs 90K to put him on the practice squad and check him out. Sam would be verrrry happy!!!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Bears sign cut Iglesias to practice squad

• September 05, 2010|By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
      • Nam Y. Huh, Associated Press

The Bears waived wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias on Saturday, but they have not given up on the third-round draft pick from 2009.
      Iglesias was one of seven players the team signed to the practice squad on Sunday, meaning he'll be around with a chance of moving up to the 53-man roster at some point during the season.
      It's unknown if the same arrangement can be worked out with defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert, the other third-rounder from '09 who was cut Saturday.
      Gilbert was claimed on waivers by the Jets, according to a league source, but they were awarded Cowboys defensive end Marcus Dixon, who they had a higher priority on. That made Gilbert, the 68th overall pick last year, a free agent. Both Iglesias and Gilbert are owed money by the Bears in the form of future base guarantees.
      On the move: Cut linebacker Tim Shaw landed with the Titans, who claimed him to bolster their special teams. The Jets also submitted a claim for Shaw, but Tennessee has a higher position in the waiver process.
      Nam Y. Huh, Associated Press

scandit is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Bears sign cut Iglesias to practice squad

• September 05, 2010|By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
      • Nam Y. Huh, Associated Press

The Bears waived wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias on Saturday, but they have not given up on the third-round draft pick from 2009.
      Iglesias was one of seven players the team signed to the practice squad on Sunday, meaning he'll be around with a chance of moving up to the 53-man roster at some point during the season.
      It's unknown if the same arrangement can be worked out with defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert, the other third-rounder from '09 who was cut Saturday.
      Gilbert was claimed on waivers by the Jets, according to a league source, but they were awarded Cowboys defensive end Marcus Dixon, who they had a higher priority on. That made Gilbert, the 68th overall pick last year, a free agent. Both Iglesias and Gilbert are owed money by the Bears in the form of future base guarantees.
      On the move: Cut linebacker Tim Shaw landed with the Titans, who claimed him to bolster their special teams. The Jets also submitted a claim for Shaw, but Tennessee has a higher position in the waiver process.
      Nam Y. Huh, Associated Press
    Sorry I don't know how all the rules work in the NFL, can any team sign a player off of another teams practice squad. If so I really would like to see Juaquin Iglesias signed to the Rams in some fashion. Just enjoyed watching these two at OU. BOOMER SOONER RAMS!

Quote Originally Posted by scandit View Post
    Sorry I don't know how all the rules work in the NFL, can any team sign a player off of another teams practice squad.
    Yes, but he'd have to be signed to that team's active roster. And I believe his salary is guaranteed for three weeks.

richtree is offline Registered User

Why would we want these guys. They are cut from teams that have bad WR's themself.

We have a decent bunch now. We are not finding any answers until next years draft.

You can bank on WR be our round 1 pick to help our 60 million dollar qb.

Draft

round 1 - WR, round 2 DE/DT ---- that's probably set in stone unless we steal a big free agent this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Why would we want these guys. They are cut from teams that have bad WR's themself.
    And yet fans screamed for the Rams to go after Danario Alexander, whom no other NFL team wanted.

I agree that the Rams won't fill their need for a legitimate #1 receiver until next year, likely in the draft, assuming their isn't a lock out. But clearly there's still some roster churning that can be done on the bottom end of this roster, unless you're convinced that guys like Brandon Gibson or Dominique Curry are simply irreplaceable.

Iglesias has previous familiarity with Bradford and a skill set that, at least IMO, would translate well to a West Coast offense. I think that makes him at least worth a look.

scandit is offline Registered User

Iglesias has previous familiarity with Bradford and a skill set that, at least IMO, would translate well to a West Coast offense. I think that makes him at least worth a look.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.....