Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 'Only One' Tavon Austin

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: 'Only One' Tavon Austin

Personally I don't like these small players and within that group he's VERY small.

Biggest problem I think is his fit in Schottfish's offensive scheme. As AV mentioned you need to be creative with a player like Austin. I just don't see that in the current system.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Austin's versatility is a huge plus, but teams don't spend Top 20-25 picks on return men and situational runners. Those skills serve as a great bonus, but Austin still has to have a primary position to work from. How interested the Rams are in Tavon Austin likely depends on what they believe his primary role will be in the NFL.

Do the Rams believe he's going to spend most of his time (ala Amendola) in the slot? If so, Jared Cook's signing may impact how interested the Rams are, since Cook also figures to get in plenty of slot time as well. But if the Rams believe Austin can line up outside at flanker, where his elusiveness and quickness combined with being off the line of scrimmage at the start of the play can help him avoid the jam, then Cook's signing shouldn't impact their opinions of Austin much at all.
    Rambos and KiwiRam like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin - WR - Player

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is the "most explosive playmaker" in this year's draft class.
    It's the budding consensus. "If the NFL is passing/space league, why is (Austin) not a top-ten pick," Cosell asked rhetorically. "(He) can align anywhere. Matchup nightmare." While a 5-foot-9, 174-pound receiver is unlikely to go in the first 10 picks, it's quite possible Austin will crack the top 20.
    Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Having multiple guys that can score whenever they touch the ball would be great for this offense. Givens, Austin, Cook, Quick, Pead and Richardson would be an extremely athletic group of playmakers.

KiwiRam is offline Registered User

I would like to still go the way of building up the Oline, Safety spot or even possibly picking up a linebacker or trading back into the 2nd round if they guys they really covet don't fall to them. That is all contingent on there being a market for people wanting to trade up? i think if Austin was there at #22, there would be a market.

I think Austin is the icing on the cake ... but we are still mixing the dough. If we grab him ... hopefully we have to personnel to help put his skills to good use. But I admit it would be a 100% more exciting offseason if we draft him.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I dont buy the notion that Austins height will hold him back from playing on the outside. Steve Smith(Panthers) is about the same height and excels on the outside.

While Austin isnt Steve Smith, if he proves he can play the outside, he will be a very versatile offensive weapon. He could line up outside, in the slot, and even carry the ball out of the backfield a handful of times a game. Even if hes not the focal point of a certain play, any defense will be forced to account for his playmaking ability. If Schotty thinks hes up for the challenge of finding ways to get him the ball even with Cook as our primary slot guy, id be all for it.

After all, we do have 2 first round picks so why not take a shot at a player with such a high ceiling. But, the deciding factor could be if Schotty thinks he could fit in our offense with the addition of Cook.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -03-20-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    But, the deciding factor could be if Schotty thinks he could fit in our offense with the addition of Cook.
    If Schotty can't fit a dynamic, multidemensional player like Austin in our offense, he needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If Schotty can't fit a dynamic, multidemensional player like Austin in our offense, he needs to be fired.
    If you read my earlier statement you would understand that him fitting in the offense has alot to do with Cook primarily playing the slot. The slot is undoubtedly where Austin and his skill set would fit the best. If Shotty doesnt believe he would fit very well on the outside, or the backfield, maybe that opinion decides if hes worth a Rams first round grade.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    If you read my earlier statement you would understand that him fitting in the offense has alot to do with Cook primarily playing the slot. The slot is undoubtedly where Austin and his skill set would fit the best. If Shotty doesnt believe he would fit very well on the outside, or the backfield, maybe that opinion decides if hes worth a Rams first round grade.
    Now that we no longer have SJ I wouldn't mind seeing Austin in the backfield. Lines up in the slot with Cook (4 or 5 WR sets), can line up outside, in the backfield, and KR/PuntR. He's good for 10-20 touches a game.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Now that we no longer have SJ I wouldn't mind seeing Austin in the backfield. Lines up in the slot with Cook (4 or 5 WR sets), can line up outside, in the backfield, and KR/PuntR. He's good for 10-20 touches a game.
    I wouldnt mind seeing him come out of the backfield either. However, I would limit his touches out of the backfield because of his size. Theres still alot of ways to get him the ball, and id be ecstatic if we drafted him. All im saying is will he be worth a first round grade after the signing of Cook, who will eat up the slot snaps, which will be Austins primary position.

At the end of the day if Fishnead fall in love with his potential, I'm sure they would take him and find any way possible to get him the rock in open space as much as possible.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -03-21-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12