Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Opinion on UT W.Williams & NT A. Burton on Rams Roster?

Opinion on UT W.Williams & NT A. Burton on Rams Roster?
    I didn't hear about these players until after season. Do the Rams still draft a DT in the draft?
    With L'Roy Glover Retireing & DT Wroten back from suspension do the rams still draft DT or wait untill after draft for undrafted free agents?
    With only 7 picks and so many holes. Only the rams F.O. knows what they're going to do. If u have a opinion please post.
    What type of DT does Spags like? Smaller faster type or bigger run stuffing type?

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Re: Opinion on UT W.Williams & NT A. Burton on Rams Roster?

I like your thinking Shan, but Wroten should probably be let go. So much emphasis on character these days. The DT position in NEW yORK WERENT ALL THAT BIG GUYS. i DONT THINK IT TAKES 350# MEN TO STOP THE RUN. oTHER THAN hAMPTON THE sTEELERS DONT HAVE ANYONE THAT BIG. Their players just know how to anchor. Besides if we lose Glover and Wroten well only have 2 DT's left. I wouldnt see why we couldnt draft at least 1 DT in the middle rds.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If we can get an extra second round pick I want us to take Brace. He should go in the middle of the second round.

Ron Brace 6'3 330 NT

He would be a great addition to our DL.

DE Long 6'3 265
    UT Carriker 6'6 310
    NT Brace 6'3 330
    DE Little 6'3 265

I would be happy with this DL going into next year. Then replace Little the following year. Carriker and Little hopefully will be fully healthy again and Long will have a year under his belt. Brace will make them all bettrer because he can occupy blockers. It will also be harder to run with Brace in the middle 6'3 330.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-12-2009 at 09:02 PM.

I was hoping the Rams draft a Brace type DT to go with Ryan in the Middle.
    Move Carricker back to DE on rushing downs. L. Little can come in with fresh legs and go after the QB on passing downs.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Your correct SHAN. I believe Carricker should move to LDE also. Perhaps his more natural position to help contain on running downs plus learn to shoot gaps better for more tackles for loss. - remember the Buffalo game this year where he really looked good penetrating the guard and center positions. I think hell benefit and not wear down as much if he plays LDE. Something radical has to happen quickly - 5.2 yds. per. rush given up this season.

Does anyone know anything about NT Antwon Burton 6'2", 308 from Clemsen with 3 years in Nfl?
    Same with NT Willie Williams 6'4" , 305 lb Rookie from Louisville?
    I hope rams give Wroten a chance before releasing him. I know they want high caractor guys , but Rams short handed enough at DT.
    How about dorell Scott Dt Clemsen or Sam Lee Hill DT Stillman.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Burton came out of Temple in '06. Undrafted but signed by The Broncos. Played a little but got cut in, I think, '07, spent time on PS of Chiefs & Bengals.Didn't have a lot of tackles in limited action with Denver but these widebody 2-gap guys aren't there for that.
    Maybe nothing more than camp fodder but has potential if this blurb is to be believed:

5. Antwon Burton, DT, Temple
    "Burton might turn some scouts off because he is soft-bodied and fleshy and doesn't work out well. But focus on his play and it's clear he gets the job done. Burton has good instincts and quickness, which enables him to get off the ball very quickly. When he is aggressive with hands, he can jolt the offensive linemen and disrupt plays in the backfield. Burton has the natural strength to control offensive linemen. He is a consistently disruptive force against inside runs, and if he learns to bend his knees, he could become a dominant defensive tackle. Burton is never going to be a great pass rusher, but he has the talent to be a productive nose tackle."

Good enough to play in East-West Shrine game in college. I hope the Rams upgrade to someone like Terrance Taylor ,Mich, in the middle draft rounds . As has been noted, Spags isn't known for this kind of DT-although Cofield ain't no ballerina- but Flajole had Kemoeatu in Carolina so who knows?