The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Optimistic's "Underdog" Mock Draft V 1.0

My favorites in this draft are all very underrated... So I'm going to dare to be different. Leave your criticism below so i can respond.

1) Leonard Hankerson WR:
    How about a receiver who:
    Has more yards than Julio Jones?
    More Touchdowns than Julio Jones?
    Averages more yards than Julio Jones?
    Laugh now, but Hankerson is sneaking up draft boards. Early in his career, Hankerson had trouble with his hands like Jones. But he worked with Mark Duper to overcome his deficiencies and his production has sky rocketed, and has made many acrobatic catches in 2010. Despite what scouts say, Hankerson has better hands than Jones, he runs better routes than Jones, and is a better deep threat than Jones. He's intelligent, a 4 pillar player, and arguably has improved himself more than Jones. But Jones is a very physical WR who can also make big plays after the catch where Hankerson will not. It comes down to preference, physical vs finesse.

Options?
    Any DT, DE, OLB, worth a first round pick doesn't fit our scheme, we don't really need to reach for a CB or OG that high (Amukamara might be a possibility if available), and we don't need a QB or OT, so that doesn't leave us with many choices: Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, Leonard Hankerson.

2) Drake Nevis DT/DE:
    EXPLOSIVE!!! One of the most elite first steps I have ever seen (gives him a lot of tactical advantage in the leverage battle) Plays with a swagger and a nastiness i love!!! Has made a habit of showing up with the big play when the game is on the line. Career Stats: 140 tkls, 3 forced fumbles, 10 sacks, 1 int. Stats are as good as any first round prospect. Can play anywhere on the D-Line. Downside is he is only 285lbs.

3) Mason Foster OLB:
    A true tackling machine: 372 tkls, 6 forced fumbles, 4 int, 11 sacks
    6-1, 242 lbs... is an ideal weakside linebacker, 4 pillar player, coaches rave about his attitude and work ethic... Has a quick closing burst, especially when zeroing in on opposing quarterbacks, great instincts. Is very powerful against blockers off the edge, which makes him a very able pass rusher along the outside, bull rush is surprisingly effective for his size, high motor and passion for playing the position, has all the physical tools to be a nightmare against the run, and has never had durability issues. Downside is he struggles in coverage, which seems to be a must in Spag's defense.

4) Danny Watkins OG:
    6-4, 310 lbs
    Can start instantly, naturally talented, was Jason Smith's old teammate, downside is he is 27 yrs old and wont be a long term answer. However Watkins is a cheaper option than going after a FA. If he starts for 4-5 years its worth the pick.

5) Darren Evans RB:
    I believe SJAX is at his best on passing plays. I give him a lot of credit for catching all those passes mid season when he was wearing a cast. Most of those he caught with one hand. I also think he is spectacular on screen plays, Jackson is unstoppable in the secondary. However running SJAX between the tackles for 1-2 yards seems to be a waste of his talent, has seemed to be somewhat ineffective, and only shortens his career. Therefore i say SJAX should be used more as a reciever in McDaniels' pass happy scheme, and pick up Evans in the 5th to run between the tackles. Evans is 6-0, 220 lbs, has never fumbled in his entire college career, 4 pillar player, can make the first defender miss, specializes in running between the tackles, good pass blocker, smash-mouth player, avg 5.7 yds in 2010. Downside is he isn't much of a pass catcher, lacks speed, tore is ACL in 2009
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-31-2011 at 07:16 PM.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Re: Optimistic's "Underdog" Mock Draft V 1.0

1: I love Hankerson but i think we can trade back about ten picks and still get him. We just need to find someone willing to trade up
    2: Haven't seen too much of Nevis, Any game recomendations?
    3: Foster is gonna start where ever he goes so i like this pick
    4: Watkins was a beast at the Senior Bowl, but I would go Rodney Hudson here because of the age difference.
    5: Im not too high on evans but wouldnt mind him in the 5th round

Overall i would love if the draft went this way. Good job.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    My favorites in this draft are all very underrated... So I'm going to dare to be different. Leave your criticism below so i can respond.

1) Leonard Hankerson WR:
    Laugh now, but Hankerson is sneaking up draft boards. Early in his career, Hankerson had trouble with his hands like Jones. But he worked with Mark Duper to overcome his deficiencies and his production has sky rocketed, and has made many acrobatic catches in 2010. Despite what scouts say, Hankerson has better hands than Jones, he runs better routes than Jones, and is a better deep threat than Jones. He's intelligent, a 4 pillar player, and arguably has improved himself more than Jones. But Jones is a very physical WR who can also make big plays after the catch where Hankerson will not. It comes down to preference, physical vs finesse.

Options?
    Any DT, DE, OLB, worth a first round pick doesn't fit our scheme, we don't really need to reach for a CB or OG that high (Amukamara might be a possibility if available), and we don't need a QB or OT, so that doesn't leave us with many choices: Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, Leonard Hankerson.

2) Drake Nevis DT/DE:
    EXPLOSIVE!!! One of the most elite first steps I have ever seen (gives him a lot of tactical advantage in the leverage battle) Plays with a swagger and a nastiness i love!!! Has made a habit of showing up with the big play when the game is on the line. Career Stats: 140 tkls, 3 forced fumbles, 10 sacks, 1 int. Stats are as good as any first round prospect. Can play anywhere on the D-Line. Downside is he is only 285lbs.

3) Mason Foster OLB:
    6-1, 242 lbs... is an ideal weakside linebacker, 4 pillar player, coaches rave about his attitude and work ethic... Has a quick closing burst, especially when zeroing in on opposing quarterbacks, great instincts. Is very powerful against blockers off the edge, which makes him a very able pass rusher along the outside, bull rush is surprisingly effective for his size, high motor and passion for playing the position, has all the physical tools to be a nightmare against the run, and has never had durability issues. Downside is he struggles in coverage, which seems to be a must in Spag's defense.

4) Danny Watkins OG:
    6-4, 310 lbs
    Can start instantly, naturally talented, was Jason Smith's old teammate, downside is he is 27 yrs old and wont be a long term answer. However Watkins is a cheaper option than going after a FA. If he starts for 4-5 years its worth the pick.

5) Darren Evans RB:
    I believe SJAX is at his best on passing plays. I give him a lot of credit for catching all those passes mid season when he was wearing a cast. Most of those he caught with one hand. I also think he is spectacular on screen plays, Jackson is unstoppable in the secondary. However running SJAX between the tackles for 1-2 yards seems to be a waste of his talent, has seemed to be somewhat ineffective, and only shortens his career. Therefore i say SJAX should be used more as a reciever in McDaniels' pass happy scheme, and pick up Evans in the 5th to run between the tackles. Evans is 6-0, 220 lbs, has never fumbled in his entire college career, 4 pillar player, can make the first defender miss, specializes in running between the tackles, good pass blocker, smash-mouth player, avg 5.7 yds in 2010. Downside is he isn't much of a pass catcher, lacks speed, tore is ACL in 2009
    Optimistic,

I really like this mock of yours-well, all except the first round. More on that later.

Rounds 2 thru 5 are excellent. Love Drake Nevis. He's a guy that I think with a little weight room work can be that true penetrating undertackle that all 4-3 teams need.

I'm really huge on Mason Foster and just hope and hope some more that he's there in the 3rd for us. This is the kind of smashmouth OLB we've been needing for some time now. Physical, productive and a team leader to boot. What's not to like?

Danny Watkins is showing why the Senior Bowl week can be such an important tool in evaluating talent. I've read that he was kickin' a## and taking names all week. But again, much like Foster, I hope that he's there in the middle of the 4th round.

Don't know anything about Darren Evans but I like your thinking on his choice.

Now let's discuss your first round selection. In a word, NOOOOOOOO!!...lol

You asked if there were any options at DE for that spot. Short answer is hell yeah! Cam Jordan is rocketing up draft boards as we speak; probably to the top ten. But a guy like Aldon Smith could easily be there when we pick and we need to seriously consider him to be the newest Ram. There are some other DE typed like R. Kerrigan but they look more like 3-4 typed to me at this point.

For the record I like what Hankerson is showing but I just can't see him busting that far into the first round if at all. And, even so, I hope that Rams would never consider him at 14 even if he does.

Overall, heck of a job though.

WHAT SAY YE?

BarronWade is online now Registered User

Like RAMarkable i will tell you what i think about prospects 2-5 first then Hankerson...

Nieves is fine but im just letting you know with his size he wont bull rush many in the NFL. If he plays 4-3 UT its going to be an adjustment and dont expect him to start or contribute any time soon.

Yawn; mason foster is in every single mock i guess hez fine

It does not matter what age he is Watkins is a solution. But he may shoot up draft boards come april.

Steven Jackson is not a pro bowl running back because he is a good receiver he is a pro bowl running back because he is a good rusher. Jackson is very patient and waits for his blocks to develop and our offensive line is not elite so when they mis a block Jackson will get a couple yards on the play. But Darren evans is a solid pick.

When you compare Jones stats vs. Hankerson's there is a reason why Jones pretty much loses. Consider the RB both teams had, the arm strength of there QB, and the system. Also Jones is much faster and stronger than Hankerson. I hope u dont mean we pick Hankerson over JOnes if both are still on the board.

I like Hankerson but just not over jones.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1) Leonard Hankerson WR:

Options?
    Unless Hankerson cracks a sub 4.3 forty time, it's hard to imagine he's anywhere close to good value in the Top 15 of the class. It's interesting that you put such an emphasis on last year's college production when comparing the two. Hankerson outproduced A.J. Green as well, so using your logic maybe he'll be the first WR off the board!

Kidding aside, I think a fair amount of your analysis is debatable, but you seem to acknowledge you're going against conventional wisdom by saying your points don't line up with the opinions of scouts ("Despite what scouts say..."). If we're taking a WR in the first round, IMO, it's either Green or Jones. I'm not really interested in anyone else at the position that high.

I would also disagree about there not being any DE, DT, or OLB that are considerations for the Rams in the first round. I absolutely think there are.

2) Drake Nevis DT/DE:
    Nevis is a good choice if you're looking for a second round 4-3 DT. I'm a fan, and think he's worthy of consideration for the Rams in this spot.

3) Mason Foster OLB:
    I like Foster in the third round. There are some that believe his Senior Bowl week may have improved his stock into the second round. Then again, I've also read one reaction that says he may be worth fourth round consideration after impressing at the Senior Bowl. So opinions are varied on him, but I think he's good in that third round range and I like what he brings to the table.

4) Danny Watkins OG:
    6-4, 310 lbs
    I think Watkins is gone by this point, to be honest with you. I believe I had him mocked in the second round of my last mock draft, but I guess it's possible that his age might cause him to slip.

5) Darren Evans RB:
    I was wondering what the motivation was in drafting a between-the-tackles back-up, and you made an interesting argument. I'd be curious to see how the touches are going to break down in your plan, because it almost sounds as if you're describing Jackson as the change of pace 'back. I think the Rams' inability to run efficiently between the tackles isn't so much about Jackson as it is our poor interior OL personnel, specifically at guard. I don't know that a different running back is going to suddenly change the picture for our inside run game.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

I knew my Hankerson vote would cause some to scatch their heads, so allow me to elaborate.

Almost every highlight and game film i can scrounge up on Julio Jones shows him running the same two plays. He either runs a screen or runs about a 10 yard curl route. And he is almost always standing still while catching the ball. That concerns me. Aside from a single play against LSU, Jones has zero highlight film of catching the ball in stride, or showing some sign of being a viable deep threat. Yes he can turn a dink pass into a big play, but in my book, that only counts for so much. Last draft Dez Bryant was drafted at 24, and we're talking about taking Julio Jones at 14??? Dez Bryant was a much better prospect.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -02-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.