Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Orlando Pace controls our draft

Orlando Pace has been a dream at tackle. From the start he was always an elite tackle. Even now as he ages, he is still an excellent tackle. No one can deny that without him this line is completely different. Plain and simple, we miss Orlando.

Now comes the hard part. Two years in a row, Pace has suffered a season ending injury. We now are forced to question his health. Is he really well enough to play next year? For all we know, Pace might decide to call it quits this off-season.

Here comes the problem. With the number two pick in the draft we can have almost anyone we want. The obvious choices are Chris and Jake Long. In my mind which one ends up in a rams jersey depends on Orlando. If he stays, then I think we go with Chris Long. If he does choose to retire, then I think we are almost forced to take Jake Long.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Orlando Pace controls our draft

i don't agree we are forced to take Jake Long. Look at the colts when Tarik Glen surprisingly retired their second round pick Tony Ugoh stepped in immedeatly and played very well

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

This draft is so deep at OL that a OT we take with the 33rd pick can come in and contribute immediately.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    This draft is so deep at OL that a OT we take with the 33rd pick can come in and contribute immediately.
    No matter who says what, I'm a strict believe that Chris Long is our first choice. No matter what. If he gets picked by the Phins, then we have to go with either another potential DL or go and choose Jake long

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Don't "force" the pick

Regardless of the situation, the Rams shouldn't be "forced" to take Jake Long or any other player.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Here comes the problem. With the number two pick in the draft we can have almost anyone we want. The obvious choices are Chris and Jake Long. In my mind which one ends up in a rams jersey depends on Orlando. If he stays, then I think we go with Chris Long. If he does choose to retire, then I think we are almost forced to take Jake Long.
    The Rams may end up taking Jake Long regardless, simply because he gives them a future prospect at tackle that can step in whenever Pace does hang it up. I don't think Pace staying removes Jake Long from the equation at all.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Well you really never know with this admin. so you might as well count both Longs as equals at this point, until you hear a little more about the draft and free agency.

I think you have to keep building a solid core of young defensive players, and still land a quality OL in the second round. Keep in mind that it's a "second round" pick, and just about a first rounder, so we can still grab a great player, essentially a first rounder in other draft years, where OL aren't so abundant.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams may end up taking Jake Long regardless, simply because he gives them a future prospect at tackle that can step in whenever Pace does hang it up. I don't think Pace staying removes Jake Long from the equation at all.
    That may be true, but what would we do with Jake Long? You can't draft someone that high in the draft and then sit them on the bench waiting for someone to have an injury. Unless we were to have him replace Barron on the line, in which case we would still have a high paid offensive tackle on the bench.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    That may be true, but what would we do with Jake Long? You can't draft someone that high in the draft and then sit them on the bench waiting for someone to have an injury. Unless we were to have him replace Barron on the line, in which case we would still have a high paid offensive tackle on the bench.
    Have him compete at right tackle with Alex Barron. Or have him compete at left guard with Mark Setterstrom. Barron's salary in 2008 is under $1 million and he'd make a more than adequate back-up should Long beat him out. Ultimately you'd want the best players on the field regardless of cost, and I'm not convinced Barron should have that spot locked down anyways.