RockinRam is offline Registered User

Our #1 Receiver in the 2011 Draft?

In the upcoming 2010 draft, the current receivers projected to go in the first round are:

Damian Williams (USC)
    Brandon Lafell (LSU)
    Dez Bryant (Ok. State)

(Golden Tate and Arrelious Benn might have a chance of sneaking in)

That being said, do we address our WR need this year, and not grab a franchise QB, or grab a franchise QB in the first round, and try to get some talent later in the draft?

Well, we may have found the answer. In the 2011 draft, there are three juniors who have immense talents, great size, great hands, and terrific athletic ability.

They are:

A.J Green (Georgia)
    Michael Floyd (Notre Dame)
    Julio Jones (Alabama)

All three of these guys were five-star recruits coming out of high school. All three of these guys have great size.
    They all had great freshman years.

Green is almost 6'5, 190lbs.
    Floyd comes in at 6'3, 220lbs.
    Jones is at 6'4, 215lbs.

Some think A.J Green is the next Randy Moss, albeit a little bit slower. This guy catches everything that comes his way. Made Stafford look amazing in 2008. Also works the other way, as Green had a good QB to throw to him. Put up great numbers his freshman year. Will jump up and fight for every ball. Big target in the endzone. Very smart player.

Michael Floyd can make the difficult catches. Good, tough runner after the catch. But, he's more fragile than Green or Jones. Starting receiver over Golden Tate this year, but was knocked out because of injuries. This guy will make big plays consistently.

Julio Jones is the toughest of the bunch. Has nice bulk, and he can carry multiple defenders while running. Will also catch almost any ball. Was toted as the best receiver behind Michael Crabtree last year.

Although not very credible or very accurate yet, all three of these guys are projected to go in the top ten in the 2011 draft.

If we decide not to get a true #1 receiver this year, we should keep a close eye on these three.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Our #1 Receiver in the 2011 Draft?

I don't think a first round WR is in the cards. First, the Rams are saving on a ton on their WR corp. Second, they have a solid group if they can get healthy. Robinson, Gibson, Burton and Avery a nice group of four WR. The team only goes with 4 WR's right now so who do they bench in favor of another player? Then you throw in Foster, Amendola (both expendable) and it's a crowded group. They are more likely in my opinion to gamble on 4 of those guys and maybe adding a mid-level free agent or rookie if they see a problem.

I like Denario Alexander of the MU Tigers more than I liked Maclin as a pro prospect. Not as fast but he's much bigger, great route running, better hands and still has enough speed to run past most DBs. I love the guy as a 3rd round type WR.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I just hope we don't draft Clausen. I'd rather have Bryant than Clausen.

shower beers is offline Registered User

You know, I forgot all about Julio Jones, but he is just nasty. I'd like him on our team. He would definitely bring the physical presence that our squad needs. It's a shame he's only a sophomore, I thought he was older than that...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    You know, I forgot all about Julio Jones, but he is just nasty. I'd like him on our team. He would definitely bring the physical presence that our squad needs. It's a shame he's only a sophomore, I thought he was older than that...
    Yep, I would be more than happy if we got Jones in 2011. The kid is very physical. Catches and run like a receiver, hits like a big tight end.