tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

is it out of the question to trade for a franchised player?

i know if we signed one to an offer sheet that we would have to give up two first rounders, which we dont have. But what if we sorted a fair few trouble spots in FA, can you see us trading our first rounder for an established player at the defensive end spot? Obviously it would require the franchise player to sign his tender and then be traded, but do you think its a possibility for the Rams to do this?

Obviously a good young talent can be grabbed from the first round, but that isnt always the case. And we would probably only do it to grab a guy that could come in and start right away.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: is it out of the question to trade for a franchised player?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i know if we signed one to an offer sheet that we would have to give up two first rounders, which we dont have. But what if we sorted a fair few trouble spots in FA, can you see us trading our first rounder for an established player at the defensive end spot? Obviously it would require the franchise player to sign his tender and then be traded, but do you think its a possibility for the Rams to do this?

Obviously a good young talent can be grabbed from the first round, but that isnt always the case. And we would probably only do it to grab a guy that could come in and start right away.
    I don't see that happening. Do you have a particular player in mind?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd have to say no. Just my opinion, but I don't see a franchise player out there worth a pair of 1st rounders........unless of course we go the Trung Canidate/Robert Thomas route again.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't see that happening. Do you have a particular player in mind?
    not really at the moment. But say in FA we signed Adalius Thomas and Eric Steinbach. We know we can get a big body DT in the second round of the draft. Do we give up our first rounder to bring someone like Charles Grant to the Rams.

Obviously im not talking about signing a franchise player and then having to give up the two first rounders, im talking about trading our first rounder for him like the Falcons did with John Abraham

general counsel is offline Registered User

tomahawk, just curious, how do you know that you can get a big body dt in the second round of the draft? Of course you can pick one, that doesnt mean that he is going to make any kind of impact, especially immediately. It seems to be a pretty aggressive assumption.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sorry i should have said, it was a theoretical situation

but the draft is where we will have to look to get a big DT in my opinion, as there does not seem to be many available in FA

Country is offline Registered User

Not worth it the only thing that we have to trade is our 1st round pick, which we need.