throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Re: OT PACE Released ! Now who do we Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Rams have to go J. Smith or E. Monroe in the 1st. Barron can barely play RT. How is he going to play LT. This is Barron's last year of his contract. Do you want the Rams to pay the ton of $money Barron's going to want for a mediocrity.
    B. Devaney says Bell is going to play RT at 280LBS. That is crazy. When he could hardly play LG at 280LBS.
    Statistically, his best season was at LT.
    Baron gets the job done minus the false starts.
    Some games he's great, and in others...he leaves me scratching my head.
    I have a feeling he'll find a way to put it together this year.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Of corse he will it is his contract year all players play better in there last year of contract. So the last three years at RT were great for the Rams and Barron.
    I don't think so.
    Let him make the mistakes that he always makes on some other team.
    Draft the OT in round 1.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Pace gone. Aaron Curry talks gone too?

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    At times last year I thought that Quinton culberson could be good, but the more I watched the less I liked. I hope I am wrong and quinton turns into a stud, but he has done nothing to warrant a starting position. I would rather draft Aaron Curry in the 1st. Ron Brace In the 2nd. Ramses Barden in the 3rd. and Glenn Cook LB from Miami in the 4th. Miami Linebackers always turn into studs.
    you do know we have a need at OT right?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Giants won the Super Bowl with a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder starting at the OT spots.

Curry is absolutely still in the mix.
    Amen brother!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Why can't we just take Jason Smith with the 2nd pick. Then trade back into the late 1st round and take James Laurinaitis? IMO Laurinaitis is a cheaper maybe better MLB (not SLB) than Curry.

I had a mock Rams draft on this trade between the Rams and Patriots:

Patriots get:
    Rams 2nd round pick
    Rams 3rd round pick

Note: according to the Trade Draft Value Chart this is worth 810 points.

Rams get:
    Pats 1st round pick
    Pats 4th round pick

Note: this is worth 814 points. Not much of a difference so it is a goo trade.

The patriots would do it because they dont like paying 1st round pick money to rookies. Also they have back to back picks and may fill 2 important needs. They just lost Vrabel (trade) and Seymour (FA) so they can take Sintim and Ayers back-to-back. If they stayed at 23 they would have taken Laurinaitis as a back-up 1st rounder until Brucechi retired. Now they fill in 2 holes and can make another run (damn those patriots).

Dominating D Guest

well apparently It's Alex Barron at LT and Jacob Bell at RT. so if we go by that logic why would we need to draft an OT before Round 5 when AV mentioned that The Giants Starting OT was a 5th round Pick? I don;t think we need to Over Draft On OT just Because we need one. after Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith, the Quality of OT takes a Huge Dip.
    Not True still some very good talent at the position....

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Of corse he will it is his contract year all players play better in there last year of contract. So the last three years at RT were great for the Rams and Barron.
    I don't think so.
    Let him make the mistakes that he always makes on some other team.
    Draft the OT in round 1.
    (This post made the argument easier for me...)

Or...we can possibly end up benefiting from his performance next season (the contract year, BECAUSE based on your 'all players play better the last year of their contract logic' he very well should..), and then see what deal he'd be looking for come the offseaon. You do realize that just because he has a good contract year, it doesn't mean we're obligated to resign him...right?

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

well apparently It's Alex Barron at LT and Jacob Bell at RT. so if we go by that logic why would we need to draft an OT before Round 5 when AV mentioned that The Giants Starting OT was a 5th round Pick? I don;t think we need to Over Draft On OT just Because we need one. after Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith, the Quality of OT takes a Huge Dip.
    Huge dip? Not really. Sure, there's a potential difference..but it's not huge. What makes Jason Smith so qualified anyway? The amount of times he can bench press 225lbs?

This is what im talkin about. Since many of you guys are so high on Barron already just because we moved him from the right side to the left side which doesnt really mean he will stop all his false starts let me speculate with Barron as a long term LT. We will still need a RT.

Do you guys know how much we will have to pay to our starting backfield?

Action Jackson: 6.11 mil (2009)
    Marc Bulger: 6.5 mil (2009)
    Brian Leonard (FB for now): 460,000 (2009)

That is a total of 13.07 Milli that we are going to spend on our starting backfield next year (we might sign Karney so it might be more). So lets provide time for our biggest long term expenses.

Cuz right now Bulger is looking like a career 3rd stringer! Why dont we protected him so he can prove somthing to the rest of the league. (i exaggerated the 3rd string to prove a point)

Action Jackson looks like a waste of money that can't even stay healthy for a season. 2006 one hit wonder. So why dont we get him some run blocking so he can prove that he is washed up (i go to Rutgers and trust me i hear this sooooooo many times "Jackson is a washed up scrub")

Lets protect our superstars!!!!!!

With Pace gone we dont have that guy on the outside. I dont think Barron is too good in the Run Game.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Well I am sure that he is high on Mayock and mel kiper and todd mcshay's draft board for some reason.
    Vernon Gholston?

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    Huge dip? Not really. Sure, there's a potential difference..but it's not huge. What makes Jason Smith so qualified anyway? The amount of times he can bench press 225lbs?
    What makes him qualified?

Spags said before that Action Jackson is going to be our centerpiece to the Offence!!!!!!!!

Jason Smith is a former TE with great athleticism so he can lead block for Jackson and get down the field. Which basically means he can get to the 2nd level. Smith is great in Pass protection. Smith just has that demeanor that just makes him look kinda like Pace. He is very agressive. and if you remember in the begging when devaney became GM he said we want to get bigger more physical. Well this guy Jason Smith is very very physical.

They said he wasnt strong enough but his bench press drill will prove those people wrong. His footwork needs help and he is still learning the position but from what i have heard he has an extremly good work ethic so he can easily improve that with our new coaching staff full of teachers.

Monroe or J. Smith not Curry. We dont have Pace anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    Vernon Gholston?
    are you trying to compare Vernon Gholston to Jason Smith??

a top 5 OT is low risk.

Look at Vernon Gholston his combine performance made him an elite prospect however he could not contribute in the NFL. Aaron Curry also had a good combine. So Curry is more similar to Gholston than Jason Smith is.

Im not saying Curry will be bad at the pro level im just saying that Jason SMith is a bigger need and a lower risk.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    This is what im talkin about. Since many of you guys are so high on Barron already just because we moved him from the right side to the left side which doesnt really mean he will stop all his false starts let me speculate with Barron as a long term LT. We will still need a RT.

Do you guys know how much we will have to pay to our starting backfield?

Action Jackson: 6.11 mil (2009)
    Marc Bulger: 6.5 mil (2009)
    Brian Leonard (FB for now): 460,000 (2009)

That is a total of 13.07 Milli that we are going to spend on our starting backfield next year (we might sign Karney so it might be more). So lets provide time for our biggest long term expenses.

Cuz right now Bulger is looking like a career 3rd stringer! Why dont we protected him so he can prove somthing to the rest of the league. (i exaggerated the 3rd string to prove a point)

Action Jackson looks like a waste of money that can't even stay healthy for a season. 2006 one hit wonder. So why dont we get him some run blocking so he can prove that he is washed up (i go to Rutgers and trust me i hear this sooooooo many times "Jackson is a washed up scrub")

Lets protect our superstars!!!!!!

With Pace gone we dont have that guy on the outside. I dont think Barron is too good in the Run Game.
    From the looks of it, we're going to be a run-heavy team from now on. Pass-protection, while still a big deal, isn't AS big of a deal like before. You got to keep in mind that Barron was serviceable when filling in for Pace. I'm not saying he played at a hall-of-fame level, but the guy wasn't horrible.

Once again, we're going to run the ball a lot and Barron's a better run than pass-blocker. You also have to figure that MOST of the rookie tackles will take awhile to adjust to pass-protecting in the NFL, so we might not have much of an upgrade over Barron anyway..at least to start off. This especially goes for Jason Smith.

I think most of you are forgetting the complete overhaul of the offensive line we could be looking at if we do in fact move Barron and Bell (The one player returning to the same position would be Incognito). We'd also be a hell of a lot more bigger and even skilled IMO. Barron with better blockers makes it a lot easier on him and less likely to screw up.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Vernon Gholston had Bust written all over him. plus Vernon Is not an O-lineman.
    You completely overlooked the intent of the post. You acted as if Mayock and Kiper perfectly plan how prospects will turn out when it's all said and done...

Hence be bringing up Gholston, who both equally salivated over..

Before the combine, the hype wasn't there. Kind of like Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    are you trying to compare Vernon Gholston to Jason Smith??

a top 5 OT is low risk.

Look at Vernon Gholston his combine performance made him an elite prospect however he could not contribute in the NFL. Aaron Curry also had a good combine. So Curry is more similar to Gholston than Jason Smith is.

Im not saying Curry will be bad at the pro level im just saying that Jason SMith is a bigger need and a lower risk.
    Lower-risk? You said it yourself...the kid was a former tight-end. You threw in the athletic argument..well, Ok. That will get you by in college most definitely, but this is the NFL. The fact that the kid came from nowhere is what worries me about selecting him.

Curry and Gholston only compare at being linebackers. Two completely different kids. Plus, looks as if you missed the point of the Gholston reference too.
    Last edited by IzzyHigh1212; -03-10-2009 at 09:33 PM.

IzzyHigh1212 Guest

Plus recent history suggests that a Top 5 pick at the O-line position will do very good. Jake Long, (rookie Pro bowler) Joe thomas, (rookie pro bowler)
    Oh..and one more thing...There's no Jake Long or Joe Thomas in this draft.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast