Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 3 Post By DE_Ramfan

Thread: Packers WR Jennings to Dolphins coach Philbin: ‘Joe, how you doing? Remember me?"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Packers WR Jennings to Dolphins coach Philbin: ‘Joe, how you doing? Remember me?"

Green Bay Packers WR Greg Jennings to Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin: ‘Joe, how you doing? Remember me?’
    by Ben Volin

NEW ORLEANS – To those of us on the outside, the Dolphins and receiver Greg Jennings seem like an obvious match this offseason.

The Dolphins desperately need another top receiver, Jennings has three 1,000-yard seasons, two Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl ring on his resume, he will be a free agent in March, the Packers seem content to let him walk, and the Dolphins’ coach, Joe Philbin, was his offensive coordinator for five years.

The Dolphins have given no indication whether they will sign a top-flight receiver in free agency – Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe and Wes Welker may all be available – but we’re not the only ones connecting the dots with Jennings and the Dolphins.

Jennings joined The Finsiders, the Dolphins’ team-owned radio/web TV show, on Friday at the Super Bowl media center. He looked right at the camera and had a message for Philbin:

“Joe, how you doing. Remember me?” he said with a smile.

Jennings, who turns 30 in September, said he realizes it may be time to move on from Green Bay.

“I’ve prepared my family for change,” he said. “Wherever I end up, if it’s outside of Green Bay, we’re ready to be great wherever we go

Jennings said he and Philbin developed “a great relationship” during their time together in Green Bay, and he caught 46 touchdowns in Philbin’s five years.

“He’s one of my favorite coaches,” Jennings said. “Obviously he jokes a lot, little subtle things here and there, but he’s a great coach to have. He was a great coach to play for. He’s one of those guys that you can have a relationship outside of football. As a player you admire a coach when he actually opens himself up like that.”
    Jennings says he's ready to go wherever, but you've got to think the connection with Miami makes them the frontrunners for his services at this point.
    ManofGod likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Packers WR Jennings to Dolphins coach Philbin: ‘Joe, how you doing? Remember me?"

Cannot argue with that logic. Remember the art of FA involves smokescreen tactics like this to get negotiators to bid up their prices. Obviously until the FA period begins in March the Dolphins cannot respond otherwise it would be considered tampering. Frankly, as good as Jennings might be for us, I have serious reservations about a 30 year old WR who has a history of injuries. I would say this even if we had mega FA $ to spend. Under the new CBA with the rookie wage scale it far more efficient for teams to draft a player and groom him than overspend on a veteran in FA.

We did a commendable job last year in getting Courtland Finnegan and Scott Wells who were plug-n-play veterans who gave us immediate results. Although Wells missed a host of games, he'll still be a leader on the O-Line next season and hopefully play 16 games. On a lesser scale William Hayes and Robert Turner did very well for us too. Not so good were Steve Smith and Trevor Laws. Smith is likely gone and Laws will have to show himself in camp this year after spending last year on the IR. I know I'm off-topic from Jennings, but we aren't likely to break the bank for a risky WR in my mind.

Go Rams!

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Packers WR Jennings to Dolphins coach Philbin: ‘Joe, how you doing? Remember me?"

We thought the same thing about Flynn and look where he ended up. Of course Jennings is actually good at his job so there is that.
    Nick, THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The Dolphins FO hasn't really been keeping it a secret that they desire some weapons to put around their young QB, and have the cap room to make a little noise. It's as good of a match as any that we can make at this point of the season. It's where I see him ending up.