Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Panthers told LenDale not to run at USC pro day

The running back says he didn't run at the combines because of a bad hamstring. He fully planned on running at the USC pro day, but opted not to when the hammy got tight the morning of the workout. White further explained that he dined with John Fox, Jim Skipper, and other members of the Panthers organization the night before the event. They told him that if he felt any twinge or problem whatsoever, he shouldn't participate, stressing it wasn't worth running the 40 if he would miss mini-camp as a result. And White said he agreed with that assessment 100%, saying he would never want to get off to a bad start with the team that drafted him.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5497044

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Re: Panthers told LenDale not to run at USC pro day

The sad part is that is actually good advice. Who would draft a guy with a serious hamstring injury in the first, which is what I think would have happened if he ran on it at full speed before it was ready.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

problem now is, everybody knows he has the hamstring problem by simply not running.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I think the kid got played. If you can run, you run.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome to the 2nd round, LenDale.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

These camps, 40 times in shorts and throwing in controlled environments are dangerous. I'm sure it's good to know that one player is .01 faster in the 40 than another but I don't know why.

Judge potential players on what they do on the football field. Just like some people don't test well but are smart anyway, some don't run well but are fast anyway. There is one thing these combines can't judge and that's heart. Give me heart and an average 40 anyday over a speedster with no heart.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That smacks of tampering, if you ask me. Clearly, White's decision not to run increased the chance that he'd fall to the Panther's pick.

Interesting.

There is one thing these combines can't judge and that's heart
    But I think that is the one thing these scouts are now questioning with White....his heart.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    These camps, 40 times in shorts and throwing in controlled environments are dangerous. I'm sure it's good to know that one player is .01 faster in the 40 than another but I don't know why.

Judge potential players on what they do on the football field. Just like some people don't test well but are smart anyway, some don't run well but are fast anyway. There is one thing these combines can't judge and that's heart. Give me heart and an average 40 anyday over a speedster with no heart.
    they dont time how quickley a RB sees a hole or a defender on the wrong foot or a LB sees the play
    thats what should be timed

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But I think that is the one thing these scouts are now questioning with White....his heart.
    My observation wasn't necessarily about White but the process altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    My observation wasn't necessarily about White but the process altogether.
    Very well. And I agree. There's just no way to measure the will of a man.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't think any director of scouting is going entirely on the basis of workout numbers. But, if Lendale ends up being slower than everyone thought...then it tells you something about how he'll perform when he isn't heads and shoulders above most players on the field (or on a team that is heads and shoulders above all but one team). It wouldn't mean he would fail, it does increase the level of risk involved in taking him. I think it's kind of silly to pretend that this isn't the case.

An example -- Nick Reid was one of the best linebackers in college football last year and wasn't even on the most talented team in his division, let alone his conference. Anyone here willing to spend a first round pick on the guy because he's got heart and good instincts?

I didn't think so.

An example -- Nick Reid was one of the best linebackers in college football last year and wasn't even on the most talented team in his division, let alone his conference. Anyone here willing to spend a first round pick on the guy because he's got heart and good instincts?

I didn't think so.
    On the flip side, another example....Ryan Leaf. One of the most physically talented QBs to come along in a long-time, but a mental wimp.

Numbers are important, but heart and mindset has to be a factor.