HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The past 10 drafts

This time of year always gets me fired up for the sporting world's biggest non-event event.......the NFL draft. So in the spirit of the season, I present to you my choices for Biggest Winner, Bust, & Steal from each of the past 10 drafts. Join me, will you?

Winner - Peyton Manning (#1) - Please.....it's Peyton Manning!

Bust - Ryan Leaf (#2) - Please......it's Ryan Leaf!

Steal - Matt Birk (#173) - One of the best Centers in the league, and a steady lineman for the Vikes

Winner - Champ Bailey (#7) - Don't get me wrong, a strong case could be made for Holt (#6), but by a hair it goes to Bailey

Bust - Tim Couch (#1) - Thrown to the wolves in his rookie year (NFL leading 56 sacks), lost his confidence and never recovered

Steal - Donald Driver (#213) - Has led the Pack in receiving 4 times, has over 500 catches and is closing in on 7000 yards

Winner - Brian Urlacher (#9) - A dominant Bears MLB? Of course.

Bust - Courtney Brown (#1) - A Penn St. D-lineman flops? Of course.

Steal - Tom Brady (#199) - How did he make it to nearly 200?

Winner - tie: LT (#5) and Richard Seymour (#6) Hard to pick just one with these guys back to back. Each is currently (and has been for a few years) the best at their position and the heart of their team

Bust - Jamal Reynolds (#10) - This DE only played in 18 games over 3 seasons. Career sacks.....3

Steal - T.J. Houshmanzadeh (#204) - The Bengals 7th rounder has been one of the best receivers in the game over the past 4 seasons.

Winner - tie: Julius Peppers (#2) and Ed Reed (#21) The most complete 4-3 DE in the game or the most complete Safety in the game........hmm, decisions, decisions

Bust - Wendell Bryant (#12) - Yea, I know what about Carr and Harrington? At least their still playing. Bryant's 2.5 year career totaled 9 starts and 1.5 sacks

Steal - Aaron Kampman (#156) - One of the best pass rushers in the game the past two seasons

Winner - Kevin Williams (#9) - In a first round that saw 1/3rd of the picks go DL, Williams was the best. He's anchored the Vikes line ever since

Bust - Charles Rogers (#2) - The Lions and their 1st round receivers.....shocking, isn't it?

Steal - David Tyree (#211) - Seriously, did you see that catch? With his helmet, people!

Winner - Tommie Harris (#14) - Pro Bowler 3 of his 4 years, and currently the only 2-time All Pro in this draft

Bust - Robert Gallery (#2) - Mountain of talent, but can't find a position and is the most penalized lineman in football

Steal - Jared Allen (#126) - The top DE on the free agent market, and one of the league's best pass rushers

From here, it gets a little sketchy.........3 or less seasons isn't a large body of evidence to work from but here goes:

Winner - Shawn Merriman (#12) - The Chargers seem to know something the rest of us don't when it comes to the draft. Merriman has been a Pro-Bowler every season

Bust - David Pollack (#17) - A true tough luck situation. Pollack had a world of promise, but injuries shortened his career to just 6 starts.

Steal - Lofa Tatupu (#45) - Has played every bit like a top 10 pick for the Hawks.

Winner - AJ Hawk (#5) - A LB the Pack can (and have) build(t) their D around with success

Bust - Broderick Bunkley (#14) - Still time for the chiseled DT, but so far....not so good.

Steal - Marques Colston (#252) - 70 catches his rookie year, nearly 100 this year.......nice 7th round pick up

Winner - nah.....way to early to even guess.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: The past 10 drafts

Nice list.

One could make an argument for Steven Jackson as a steal, as he has played like a Top 10 talent when healthy.

I also would put Holt equal with Bailey. Both will go to the HOF.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd like to see Robert Mathis in there as a steal for the Colts a few years back. Went very close to being a league sack leader, if memory serves me well.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Steal - David Tyree (#211) - Seriously, did you see that catch? With his helmet, people!
    Good choice, but Tyree really hasn't had much of an NFL career outside of that one memorable play.

Other choices for '03 I think would include kicker Josh Brown (222), Cato June (198), David Diehl (160), Asante Samuel (120), and Justin Griffith (121).

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd put 2007 NFL Defensive Player Of The Year Bob Sanders (#44) as the steal of the 2004 draft.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HUbison again.
    :l

-jake-

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I'd like to see Robert Mathis in there as a steal for the Colts a few years back. Went very close to being a league sack leader, if memory serves me well.

He would have been the sack leader, if Freeney hadn't gotten hurt and opened up the other side. I agree Mathis was a huge steal and continues to get better.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, did we happen to forget Damione Lewis and Adam Archuleta?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Good choice, but Tyree really hasn't had much of an NFL career outside of that one memorable play.

Other choices for '03 I think would include kicker Josh Brown (222), Cato June (198), David Diehl (160), Asante Samuel (120), and Justin Griffith (121).
    I absolutely agree, and I wouldn't even pretend to argue. But I had to work that catch in somehow. I mean seriously.....he caught it with his head!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'd put 2007 NFL Defensive Player Of The Year Bob Sanders (#44) as the steal of the 2004 draft.
    Definitely an agrument could be made, no doubt. The reason I went with Allen was IMO, Allen has outperformed his 126 slot moreso than Sanders has outperformed his 44 slot. Just my thought on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Would definitely be in the running for the 2003 steal at #138.