HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Past Rams compensatory picks

Past Rams compensatory picks

03/22/2005

Here's the complete list of past Rams compensatory picks. The designation "never played with club" means the player never appeared in a regular-season game for the Rams:

- LB Brandon Chillar, UCLA (4th round, 130th pick overall): Played in 16 games with 5 starts; 31 tackles from scrimmage, 13 special teams stops.

- QB Jeff Smoker, Michigan State (6th, 201); Did not play as team's No. 3 QB.

- TE Erik Jensen, Iowa (7th, 237): Placed on injured reserve list Sept. 5 with knee injury.

- C Larry Turner, Eastern Kentucky (7th, 238): Played in 13 games, including Dec. 19 start at left guard in Arizona.

- CB Shane Walton, Notre Dame (5th, 170): No longer with club. Played in 4 games with 6 special teams stops in '03.

- CB Kevin Garrett, SMU (5th, 172): Has played in 23 games (1 start), with 10 tackles from scrimmage, 4 pass breakups, and 20 special teams stops.

- LB Scott Shanle, Nebraska (7th, 251): No longer with club. Played in 5 games with 4 special teams stops in '03.

- TE Richard Angulo, Western New Mexico (7th, 254): No longer with club. Played in 6 games with no receptions in '03.

- TE Brandon Manumaleuna, Arizona (4th, 128): Career totals of 53 catches for 519 yards with 5 TDs; starter in '03 and '04.

- WR Francis St. Paul, Northern Arizona (6th, 197): Never played with club.

- P Rodney Williams, Georgia Tech (7th, 252): Never played with club.

- DE Jason Chorak, Washington (7th, 236): Never played with club.

- DE Bronzell Miller, Utah (7th, 239): Never played with club.

- WR Johnny (J.T.) Thomas, Arizona State (7th, 240): 34 catches for 400 yards from 1995-98; returned kickoffs in '95-96.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Past Rams compensatory picks

Should we be worried that this is the 3rd year in a row that we've had 4 comp picks (ie. we're losing vast more in FA than we're gaining)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Actually, that generally means you have a good team.

Its like taxes. If you pay a lot, that means you've earned a lot (or you have a really bad accountant).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Actually, that generally means you have a good team.

Its like taxes. If you pay a lot, that means you've earned a lot (or you have a really bad accountant).
    Huh? :confused: I thought it meant you lost more in free agency than you picked up.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

The more picks , the better! Looking for the diamond in the ruff! Like future league leader Jeff Smoker! Near future I will say ! :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Should we be worried that this is the 3rd year in a row that we've had 4 comp picks (ie. we're losing vast more in FA than we're gaining)
    Now that's a tough question. On one hand, you might stake the claim that the Rams have such a wealth of talent that each year they are bound to lose people who they can't afford to keep. Couple that with the idea that the Rams can always develop talent without having to resort to the FA market, and one might say there is no need to worry.

On the other hand, one might suggest that the need to compensate the Rams for the loss of FAs with the maximum number of comps indicates that someone is clueless in how to operate within the confines of the salary cap.

Personally, I think the truth lies somewhere in between. If the Rams were losing lots of FAs each year AND weren't competitive each year, then I might be inclined to worry that the trend is indicative of a simmering problem. But they have been relatively competitive. This doesn't mean that the FO's methods are beyond reproach.

The FO has not been inactive this year. With more releases bound to be around the corner, I am going to reserve judgement about how good of a job they have done. They are off to a decent start, but there still are issues to be addressed.

At some point I think stock piling comp picks may be a good strategy IF staff has proven that a large number of draft picks will either lead through trade or draft to the acquisition of useable talent. Getting a Jackson or a Hargrove doesn't demonstrate an eye for talent. It just means with more quantity the chances for draft successes are greater. Even a stopped clock will be right twice a day.

Great analysis, A2. This is the most lucid post you've presented since....well ever. The smoke must be clearing in the Hollow. :redface:

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by U.B.AHOO.2
    This is the most LEWDcid post you've presented since ... well ever. The smoke must be clearing in the Hollow ...
    Funny you should mention that. We ran out of kindling to keep the stills lit. Someone had the bright idea of using some discarded hemp lumber as a substitute. As luck would have it, it was still damp and a wisenheimer decided to blow on the fire to kinda of try to prod it along. You know, one of those moments.

Remember the movie Backdraft? Doesn't matter. Just believe me when I say the smoke billowing through the Hollow has yet to abate. As much as I'd appreciate an unsolicited compliment, the fact is that the post was nothing more than the result of me falling backwards and hitting my head on the keyboard and some of the keys getting stuck ...

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Funny you should mention that. We ran out of kindling to keep the stills lit. Someone had the bright idea of using some discarded hemp lumber as a substitute. As luck would have it, it was still damp and a wisenheimer decided to blow on the fire to kinda of try to prod it along. You know, one of those moments.

Remember the movie Backdraft? Doesn't matter. Just believe me when I say the smoke billowing through the Hollow has yet to abate. As much as I'd appreciate an unsolicited compliment, the fact is that the post was nothing more than the result of me falling backwards and hitting my head on the keyboard and some of the keys getting stuck ...
    Ahh, there's the A2 we all know and love.