Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Pat Kirwan's New Mock: Monroe to Detroit, Smith to Rams

1. Lions: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    Jason Smith Players under consideration include Jason Smith and Matthew Stafford. Monroe and Smith have been impressive in their workouts and interviews. The Lions can't go wrong with either tackle and they can come back later in the round for defensive help. If Stafford lights it up later this week in his workout, then maybe he moves up, but right now I'll stick with a tackle. Monroe was sensational in his 25-minute interview with me and my radio partner, Tim Ryan, this week. I would like to see Detroit trade for Derek Anderson with the top pick in the second round. The trade for Julian Peterson probably takes Aaron Curry out of the top spot.

2. Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    Players under consideration include Michael Crabtree and Andre Smith. The Rams let Orlando Pace and Torry Holt go, which means they could go for Crabtree or Jason Smith at this spot. Rams GM Bill Devaney likes to build a team from the inside out, so I'll stick with the tackle.

Here's the full mock:

Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top

Interesting that Monroe has now jumped Smith in Kirwan's eyes. I really think it's almost a coin flip with these guys; just depends on what you're looking for. I've still got Monroe with a slight read right now, but I think either are very worthy selections.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Re: Pat Kirwan's New Mock: Monroe to Detroit, Smith to Rams

It may be a little off topic, but that was one of the worst mocks i have ever seen!
    Brown #3?
    Curry #9?
    Just to name a few.
    just dumb.
    But i agree on the fact that it is a coin flip with smith/monroe.
    maybe Detroit will make it easy on us and take one of them.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    1. Lions: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    Jason Smith Players under consideration include Jason Smith and Matthew Stafford. Monroe and Smith have been impressive in their workouts and interviews. The Lions can't go wrong with either tackle and they can come back later in the round for defensive help. If Stafford lights it up later this week in his workout, then maybe he moves up, but right now I'll stick with a tackle. Monroe was sensational in his 25-minute interview with me and my radio partner, Tim Ryan, this week. I would like to see Detroit trade for Derek Anderson with the top pick in the second round. The trade for Julian Peterson probably takes Aaron Curry out of the top spot.

2. Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    Players under consideration include Michael Crabtree and Andre Smith. The Rams let Orlando Pace and Torry Holt go, which means they could go for Crabtree or Jason Smith at this spot. Rams GM Bill Devaney likes to build a team from the inside out, so I'll stick with the tackle.

Here's the full mock:

Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top

Interesting that Monroe has now jumped Smith in Kirwan's eyes. I really think it's almost a coin flip with these guys; just depends on what you're looking for. I've still got Monroe with a slight read right now, but I think either are very worthy selections.
    Now althought the "professionals" change their minds daily the word has always been that Monroe is a "sure thing" that can step in from day one and become your teams starting tackle. On the other hand, Jason Smith while he is more raw, many think that he has more upside/talent/potential.

To bad none of us have a crystal ball so that we can see the future.

general counsel is offline Registered User

You have to love the idiot of the week comment by kirwan that somehow the fact that Monroe was great in a radio interview this week has any bearing of any kind at all on where he gets picked. Personal interview with the team? Sure, thats relevant. Radio interview with the media? Who cares.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    It may be a little off topic, but that was one of the worst mocks i have ever seen!
    Brown #3?
    Curry #9?
    Just to name a few.
    just dumb.
    But i agree on the fact that it is a coin flip with smith/monroe.
    maybe Detroit will make it easy on us and take one of them.
    I actually liked this draft. It is still march and we a month away from the draft so this mock draft gives you a different perspective. I like how he said the alternate picks. This is probably no where close to his final mock draft.

I liked to see both top QBs going in the top 10 without the lions taking one. And how the Eagles get Beanie in the late 1st. Also how Kenny Britt goes before the giants get to pick. It is just a differnent perspective.

It is not dumb it is just a new way to look at the draft if someone reaches like the chiefs (everette brown) or if a good player drops (rey maulauga.)

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    You have to love the idiot of the week comment by kirwan that somehow the fact that Monroe was great in a radio interview this week has any bearing of any kind at all on where he gets picked. Personal interview with the team? Sure, thats relevant. Radio interview with the media? Who cares.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Agreed. And he mentions in Everette Brown's description that "after talking with Brown this week, I can see why he's moving up draft boards." So, his rational as to why the Chiefs take Brown is because he talked to Brown himself. Why would this have any merit on the Chiefs?!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If Curry falls to nine I'll go crazy. He is the best player in the draft. I highly doubt the Seahawks would let him get past them seeing how they just traded julian peterson and instead take a QB to backup Hasslebeck. I realize Kirwan has a pretty good reputation, but really?

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Monroe was sensational in his 25-minute interview with me and my radio partner, Tim Ryan, this week.

Interesting that Monroe has now jumped Smith in Kirwan's eyes.
    I believe the bolded part of his Monroe capsule explains why Monroe has jumped Smith in his eyes...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I believe the bolded part of his Monroe capsule explains why Monroe has jumped Smith in his eyes...
    Probably. I think Kirwan and Ryan's radio show might be the strongest on Sirius NFL Radio, to be honest. The question becomes whether Kirwan pushed Eugene Monroe up his board simply because they talked to him, or because he was impressed by what he heard and that improved his opinion of Monroe as a prospect. NFL GMs will raise and lower guys on their board based on interviews as well, so I can't really hold it against Kirwan for doing something similar.

I guess my main objective behind this topic was just to support the position that both of these guys are deserving options for the Rams @ #2, as I know there still are some Rams fans out there (either at the Clan or elsewhere) who don't feel there's an OT worth the pick. I think at this point that's a minority opinion, though.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

If the Lions take Monroe I want Aaron Curry. I don't want a project tackle right now, I'd rather bolster our defense. But if the Lions don't take Monroe I think we should immediately grab him.