Chiledog is offline Registered User

Pathetic draft history

As I look at the Rams' recent 1st rounders, a nauseating feeling sets in. This is no news for anyone on the board here, but these picks were just pathetic. With the possible exception of Barron (who we all hope will prove his worth as a first rounder this year), and Arch (at least in the opinion of one Dan Snyder) I see very little very little wisdom from the Rams' personel department.

2005 Alex Barron OT
    2004 Steven Jackson RB
    2003 Jimmy Kennedy DT
    2002 Robert Thomas LB
    2001 Damione Lewis DT
    Adam Archuleta DB
    Ryan Pickett DT
    2000 Trung Canidate RB

My conclusion? If we can't do better than this with our middle-of-the-first round picks, then let's DRAFT UP for a sure pro-bowler! Giving up a first and second round pick, to get a star, makes more sense to me than keeping the picks for ourselves and adding more mid-round talent to our roster.

I've said my piece...

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Pathetic draft history

Steven Jackson?

He is probably the best first rounder we have taken in years

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, let's see. wasn't Torry Holt a first rounder? does he count in the "in years" category?

Also, uh....Orlando Pace. Is he in the "in years" category?

You youngsters need to think before you post.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's a list of names for you:

Alex Smith, Cedric Benson, Adam Jones, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Kellen Winslow, Reggie Williams, Charles Rogers, Dewayne Robertson, Johnathan Sullivan, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams, Ryan Sims, Gerard Warren, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, and Jamal Reynolds.

What do these 17 players have in common? They were all top ten picks the last five seasons and have either completely busted out or so far have not lived up to their draft status. That's 17 out of 50 top ten players taken in this time frame, or roughly 35%.

And that's being conservative. After all, you said a sure Pro Bowler. I didn't tally the top ten picks that haven't been elected to a Pro Bowl, but I would imagine it would be greater than this.

Drafting isn't easy no matter where you are, let alone in the top ten. If taking a top prospect was such a sure thing, teams would be trading their entire drafts to get into the top 5-10.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Youngster? He's 47, right? The way I look at this, though, hindsight is 20-20. I bet a lot of teams are looking at the last few years and thinking about how many busts they've had. Nobody's a guaranteed Pro Bowler, not at #11, not at #1. Jackson and Barron look like good moves so far. Pickett and Kennedy could still turn out to be decent players. If Archuleta hadn't had so many injury problems, he might have been one of our success stories.

I figured this post would get a rise out of a few folks. But hey, you can't tell me we have really made the most of our last few years in the draft.

Well, let's see. wasn't Torry Holt a first rounder? does he count in the "in years" category?

I only went back to 2000 in the draft, because in years previous to that, we did a great job.

1999 Torry Holt WR
    1998 Grant Wistrom DE
    1997 Orlando Pace T

You can't do much better than that! My point, we have really done bad since 2000. Why? I don't know. Was someone else doing the picking prior to that? Whatever the case, I think it's time we picked someone who will make a big impact, and based on the past 6 years, it doesn't seem that our FO has the wisdom to do that with a #11 pick.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

general counsel is offline Registered User

Pickett led the nfl in tackles for his position last year. Independent of the decision to resign him for the money, can you name a more productive guy drafted at that point of the first round recently, especially when you consider that he was drafted as a junior and everyone said up front that it would take a couple of years.

The problem with this kind of analysis, in addition to the 20-20 hindsight which i agree with, is that it doesnt take into account the track record of other teams, most of which arent doing any better than the rams. the draft is a crapshoot in large measure and injuries are beyond everyones control. Kennedy and lewis both got hurt. Thats just bad luck. Until you show definitive evidence that the rams are materially worse than anyone else drafting, i dont see how you can make that kind of criticism, at least not to that extreme.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan

When i said in years, i meant in the time frame that he listed. Of course i know Orlando Pace and Torry Holt were first rounders. I might be young and from the UK, but that doesnt detract from my knowledge of football

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This kind of analysis is too subjective....sure the Rams have busts, every team does. However, when DLew was drafted I can't recall anyone saying that was a bad pick. Actually, most of the negativity on this draft was Pickett being too young to take in the first round and then turns out he was the most productive one of the three. Hmmmm.......

rampete is offline Registered User

and least we forget...

pace, wistrom and holt were top 5 picks...

the others mentioned regarded as dissapointing were
    all mid to late 1st rounders with #12 for kennedy and #11 for d. lewis...

and by the way, why on earth would you be expecting a display of wisdom, of all things, by men paid to organize entertainment for the masses?

pace, wistrom and holt were top 5 picks...

the others mentioned regarded as dissapointing were
    all mid to late 1st rounders with #12 for kennedy and #11 for d. lewis...
    This is my point EXACTLY, and why I believe we should give up a 1st and 2nd pick to draft up. That way we will be in a position to NOT SCREW UP our pick, and be sure to get away with a stud rather than two possible disappointments.

rampete is offline Registered User

trading up may be what the fans and coaches want but the individuals that really control the team are driven and conditioned not to go near the top 5 due to the exorbitant signing bonus that comes with the territory...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hopefully Alex Barron will vindicate himself A-N-D the Rams draft directors. :clanram: THIS YEAR!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    This is my point EXACTLY, and why I believe we should give up a 1st and 2nd pick to draft up. That way we will be in a position to NOT SCREW UP our pick, and be sure to get away with a stud rather than two possible disappointments.
    Or we wind up blowing the pick doubly by losing our top two picks on one bust rather than spreading out the risk. I'm willing to consider moving up, but it would be naive for us to think that because we moved into the top ten suddenly we're no longer at risk for a bust. The Chargers traded up to get Ryan Lead, did they not?