RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

The Patrick Willis Thread

All Patrick goes in here!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqadSMQm5o

Highlights.

This is the guy that is atop of my board from where we pick.

RamsFan16

Country is offline Registered User

Re: The Patrick Willis Thread

I like Patrick Willis and he would help the Rams, but someone else said it best. With all the problems that the Rams have on the DL I don't think that they will go LB with their 1st pick I would look at them to go with Adam Carriker in the 1st round.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The guy is tackling machine, but I think I only saw one highlight of him in coverage, and it looked more like he'd dropped back in a zone than him playing man on anyone. I still think that if you take Willis it's to be a MLB; I think that's ultimately going to be where he's most productive. If the Rams are open to the idea of moving Witherspoon outside and replacing him with someone to man the box, then Willis is someone to consider. Still concerned about his value @ 13 though, and I'm interested to see what he does at the combine.

RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

He was all over the field in the Senior Bowl, and he doesnt give up on the play, Willis is amazing, Thanks for the highlights

LARAM is offline Registered User

After seeing the video.....I have to say I was impressed with his toughness and total power of taking people to the ground.....I must say, I havn't seen anyone like that in a Rams uniform in a long time.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Lets get this guy.... Put Spoon on the outside and give this rookie a chance in the middle.

Forcus the later rounds on the DL and maybe free agency.....

Go Rams

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Video on Willis

Thought you all might want to see the next Ram ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqadSMQm5o

Re: Video on Willis

Yea I posted that in my Willis thread. The man is a machine! I'd be very very greatful to have him on the Rams! Could have him play SAM, or middle and move Witherspoon to SAM. Either way it'd be a boom - boom situation.
    RamsFan16

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I love Patrick Willis. Hopefully we can adress our Defensive Line situation through free agency so we can see P. Willie in horns.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

I think we'll definity have a shot at him, but doesn't Kiper have him going late in the 1st Round? I wonder what his downside is?

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Taking P. Willis at #13 would be a reach. If the Rams decide that is the way to go then we should trade down and get extra picks, but I hope we dont do that if there is a quality DT or DE still on the board when we pick. No LB is going to correct our run defense.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Taking P. Willis at #13 would be a reach. If the Rams decide that is the way to go then we should trade down and get extra picks, but I hope we dont do that if there is a quality DT or DE still on the board when we pick. No LB is going to correct our run defense.
    You say Willis is a reach? Why is that, is it because he isn't a favorite of yours? This kid is potentially the next Ray Lewis. If we drafted him he provides two options 1. Keep him at MLB and let him hopefully become the next Ray Lewis, or 2. Shift him to SLB and let him dominate there.

He's the best Linebacker in the draft and can play either MLB or SLB. The guys a beast.
    RamsFan16

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    You say Willis is a reach? Why is that, is it because he isn't a favorite of yours? This kid is potentially the next Ray Lewis. If we drafted him he provides two options 1. Keep him at MLB and let him hopefully become the next Ray Lewis, or 2. Shift him to SLB and let him dominate there.

He's the best Linebacker in the draft and can play either MLB or SLB. The guys a beast.
    Look if he is your favorite guy so be it, my favorite guy is the player the Rams choose in the draft and that would include Willis if that is who they pick. Now lets talk about the NEXT Ray Lewis thing, can you give me one good reason this is so, can you predict the future? I am not saying that MR Willis is not a great player and I do consider him the best MLB in college, but he will be there if we trade down because there are better players then him.I don't think he can play the SLB, where you get this idea I don't know. The last thing I will say is that even the great R. Lewis will tell you that he needs big talented DTs to keep the o-line off of him or will not be effective.:l

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    I think we'll definity have a shot at him, but doesn't Kiper have him going late in the 1st Round? I wonder what his downside is?
    Middle linebackers really have to be elite athletes and prospects to go in the top of the draft. The concern with Willis is that while he's good, he's not at the elite athletic level and isn't strong in coverage. There are valid questions about how well he'll be able to run and defend tight ends and 'backs. If Willis can't display and speed and agility needed to effectively handle coverage duties on a regular basis, and in the end has to be taken out on passing downs, is he really worth a top pick?

That's not to say Willis won't be a good player in the NFL. I think he'll be an excellent middle linebacker, and if we took him at 13, I would be excited about having him on this team. But ultimately the draft is not just about who you take, but when you take them. If Willis' grade is in the 20-32 range and you can trade down to, say, pick 20 and take him, you've (1) acquired additional picks to improve your team and (2) have lowered the financial cost of the player.

Then again, it all depends on how teams evaluate the guy. Not many people expected Buffalo to take Whitner as high as he went. What he does in drills at the combine could be a strong factor in whether he rises closer to that elite category.

Also, what we're actually looking for is going to factor into our decision as well. Assuming Lawrence Timmons has the workout that many are expecting him to, then I think he's going to be the strong-side linebacker we need and a better value at that spot. He has very good height for the position, is very strong in coverage and will match up well with NFL tight ends. His upside and potential is through the roof, and while I know some fans don't like taking guys based on potential, that's essentially what you're doing with any rookie pick because none of them are pro superstars yet.

Timmons' value though is going to heavily depend on what he does in Indy as well, primarily because he only has one year of starting experience at Florida State so the résumé isn't as beefy as some other guys. If he doesn't have the kind of impressive workout that many are anticipating from him, then he's not likely to be of great value at that spot either.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post

I think it's a mistake to assume MASSIVE thinks Willis is a reach because Willis isn't one of his favorite prospects. I have no idea whether or not that accurately describes MASSIVE's opinion on Willis, but it's certainly possible to think Willis is a reach for actual valid reasons.

It's interesting that you call upon the name of Ray Lewis as justification for Willis not being a reach, because Lewis actually went 26th overall when he was drafted in the mid-90s.

I also think you're being a bit generous by suggesting Willis would dominate at the SAM position. I think Willis has the ability to line up anywhere on the field and do well, but if there's a position he's potentially going to dominate at, it's inside.