Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Patriots: Amendola would make sense as Welker 2.0

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Patriots: Amendola would make sense as Welker 2.0

Amendola would make sense as Welker 2.0
    Could Danny Amendola be on the Patriots' radar?
    PATRIOTS REPORT: TUESDAY, MARCH 13

In 2007, the New England Patriots hustled the Miami Dolphins out of Wes Welker.

Welker, then 26, was given a second-round tender by the Miami Dolphins as a restricted free agent.

For a young player on the rise on a poor team, the Patriots could pry him loose with a contract offer that included a "poison pill" and only have to fork over a second-round draft pick.

In the end, the Patriots took pity on Miami and worked a trade instead, sending Miami their second-rounder and a seventh-rounder as well in exchange for Welker who they signed to a five-year deal.

In the Patriots' system -- and thanks to his own talents -- Welker has been perhaps the most productive slot receiver in NFL history. My friend Mike Reiss wrote about the machinations behind the Welker signing for The Boston Globe back in 2007.

Now, five years later, there's a player that's as close to Welker in style as any in the NFL. And he's been given the second-round tender as an RFA.

Danny Amendola of the St. Louis Rams, who missed almost all of 2011 after dislocating his elbow in the season opener, is a player that had 85 catches for St. Louis in 2010.

He's 5-10, 186 pounds. He plays the slot. He returns punts. He's 26 years old. He was undrafted out of Texas Tech. He was cut by two teams -- the Eagles and Cowboys. The Turf Show Times, a Rams fan site, detailed the similarities last year.

Could the Patriots pull the same move with Amendola that they did with Welker and set themselves up with Welker's successor?

It makes sense. Except for the money. With Welker carrying a $9.5 million franchise tag and the Patriots likely looking at a wideout like Brandon Lloyd in free agency as well, that's a lot of money being flung at a position that New England's been miserly about spending toward.

A new deal for Amendola to pry him out of St. Louis would only add to the wideout tab in 2012.

Meanwhile, acquiring Amendola would certainly crimp any contract extension talks with Welker that the team could have between now and July 15. It could cause Welker to back at signing the tender at all and staying away from the team into training camp.

But it would free the Patriots up from having to give a long-term deal to a slot man who turns 31 in May and it would bring Welker's eventual replacement in the fold.

With free agency opening Tuesday at 4 p.m., we'll soon find out if the Patriots see the logic in making the same move with Amendola that they did with Welker.

Let's hear from you in the comment section whether you think it's a move New England should explore.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Patriots: Amendola would make sense as Welker 2.0

I love Danny, but i feel Greg Salas showed enough last year that getting a second round pick for Amendola wouldn't be something to cry about
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I've never been that high on Amendola. He was a good safety blanket for Sam but part of Welker's ability that sets him apart is being able to run after the catch. I don't remember Danny doing too much of that.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know, fellas..........not sure we can easily replace 85 receptions with a 2nd rounder.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Heck, I'd take the 2nd round pick in a heartbeat. 'Dola has been decent but I'm not even sure how much slot/3 wide Fish and Schotty are going to use and he has not shown that he can play split out wide.

I agree with tomahawk; make mine Salas...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I don't know, fellas..........not sure we can easily replace 85 receptions with a 2nd rounder.
    How do you feel about replacing 85 receptions with a fourth rounder (Salas)? In the four games after the bye but before his injury, Salas was averaging enough to have reached that mark when projected over a full season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

The 85 catches? Perhaps.
    The 689 yards and 3tds that came with it? Pretty sure you could.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Is this a joke? I'd trade him for a 4th round pick.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Sorry to disagree but no way I want to trade Amendola. You can try to judge him by stats or this and that but his true measuring stick is the heart he brings on to the field.

In my opinion he elevates the other players with his passion.

I hope we keep him.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I like Amendola. The sad thing is that I remember two years ago, when he was our only receiver, teams at the end of the season were triple covering him. We missed him last year, because as bad as is yards per catch and yards after catch are, he got tons of first downs. He also got us into better 2nd and 3rd down position, which is a lot better than being 2nd and 13 every series like this year.

That being said, a second rounder is nice. Ryan Broyles comes to my head when I think of a sure handed slot receiver replacement.

Also, while a second round pick seems fair for him, the Rams tendered him at that level (new coaching staff no less) AND the Patriots might value him at that level or even higher. Seems GMs might value him more than fans do.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How do you feel about replacing 85 receptions with a fourth rounder (Salas)? In the four games after the bye but before his injury, Salas was averaging enough to have reached that mark when projected over a full season.
    Maybe I just have a soft spot for him, but I do know that Bradford looked a whole better with him than without him.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

codeman123 is offline Registered User

The thing about Amendola's stats are that they are true and misleading at the same time. He might be the least athletically gifted player in the entire NFL. He was the entire focal point of defenses and he still produced. Every other receiver had single coverage and still couldn't get open, and Amendola still had to make plays. If the Rams get a receiver or two who can take advantage of single coverage and coverages have to change to reflect that, then Amendola becomes much more dangerous then he was during his 85 catch campaign. He is still limited by his athleticism though, so him becoming Welker is a stretch. No matter what, he makes Sam better and he makes it easier on the other receivers. He might be worth it to keep, even if it is a second rounder.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Maybe I just have a soft spot for him, but I do know that Bradford looked a whole better with him than without him.
    Think you can't dismiss Sam being injured during the season. Plus who makes who look better...

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Heck I'd trade him for a second you kidding? I love Danny but a second would be crazy to get for him! Heck I'd trade SJ for a first...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I hope we keep Danny Boy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast