Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Patriots: Amendola would make sense as Welker 2.0

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Patriots: Amendola would make sense as Welker 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    As of right now it doesn't look like there will be much overhaul except for subtracting the only productive receiver last year, Lloyd, and people seem fine with subtracting the only productive receiver from two years ago, Amendola, as well. Makes no sense.

Even if we can get Blackmon, I don't see how this team is better without Amendola.
    But you'd agree no one is arguing in favor of that approach, right? Given their interest in Garcon, Meachem, and Douglas, it's reasonable to conclude they aren't taking that approach either. So I don't see much need in projecting that out as if that's the argument being made, especially six hours into free agency.

I understand that some people think Amendola is not expendable. He was certainly more consistent and productive than any receiver the Rams fielded in 2010. He flashes the ability to make spectacular grabs. This team isn't stocked in talent at the position, so it's tough to give it away.

However, the catch that I think some of us feel is there is that he plays at a position where the Rams actually have a promising young player. Greg Salas stepped in as a rookie last year, particularly after the bye, and seemed to pick up where Amendola left off in terms of production (similar catch percentage, better YPC average). In fact, Salas's YAC-per-reception average in 2011 was nearly double that of Amendola in 2010 as well.

So in a league where a legitimate #1 receiver like Brandon Marshall is traded for two third-round picks, should the Rams really turn down a second-round pick for Danny Amendola? I like Danny, but I'd take it. Suddenly the Rams would be looking at four picks in the first two rounds, which can do a lot for improving this team at receiver or other areas.

Of course, this is all conjecture, because it sounds like this is simply the musings of a writer rather than something based on actual leads or information.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Jim Thomas on Twitter...

If New England makes offer on RFA Danny Amendola, it wouldn't be a shock if the Rams didn't match. The one thing they have _ actually. . .

. . .about the only thing they have at wide receiver are slot guys. Greg Salas and Austin Pettis are waiting in the wings if Amendola goes.

. . .They'd get a second round pick from Patriots if they didn't match and that would give St. Louis 5 of the top 65 picks in the draft.
    https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/180323484977729536

Rammed is offline Registered User

That would make sense and would be an awesome deal in my opinion. I'll drive him there myself for that pick.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams get a third second round pick, they'd be in a great position (if they don't take Blackmon at No. 6), to put together a package to jump up and grab a guy like Floyd in the mid-late first round.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams get a third second round pick, they'd be in a great position (if they don't take Blackmon at No. 6), to put together a package to jump up and grab a guy like Floyd in the mid-late first round.
    Yeah, in a way I hope we do get that addition 2nd round pick...

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What would you package for that jump? Because I think we can use those 3x 2nd rounders on solid players at positions of need. Rather have that then Floyd.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

This is horrible leverage. The Rams should be saying that they will match an Amendola offer. The Patriots don't have the cap space to make a ridiculous contract and the Rams do have the cap space to match whatever they offer. I would be on the phone negotiating a trade for the Patriots second round pick from Oakland (2.16), which the Patriots wouldn't give up for signing him (that would be 2.31).

I'm not sure the rumors are true, but if they are it says a lot about the real value of Amendola. I would be hesitant to let him go, just because of his chemistry with Bradford and his importance to the offense when he is playing.

From the Boston Herald...

A little more clarity on the situation surrounding Rams WR Danny Amendola (Update: No visit planned)

It was noted earlier that Rams receiver Danny Amendola, a restricted free agent tendered at a second-round tender, was in town recently. In fact, he hung out at the Faneuil Hall bar “The Place” last night.

Wanted to add some clarity to what we know…

– Amendola does have relatives in the area. His grandma, for instance, works in Scituate. And he is related to the Stewart family in the same town. His brother was also in town. Which leads me to…

– ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss reported that there was a death in Amendola’s family, which may be why he’s in town. His agent Erik Burkhardt wouldn’t say that, though. Early, he said he wouldn’t comment on visits. There is still intrigue, and the thought that the Patriots are interested.

[Updated at 2:16 p.m.] — Colleague Karen Guregian tweeted that Amendola has no plans to meet with the Patriots. He is headed to a family funeral in Maine, and he has relatives in Scituate, Brockton and Maine. So, much ado about not much, according to someone close to Amendola.

– The suggestion, somewhat crazy, was made on Twitter that the Patriots are interested in trading Wes Welker and signing Amendola. Fulfilling my duty to chase everything, I brought this up to a Patriots source. The response was “nice try.” So, that seems to mean no.

– On the other hand, Welker is in a holding pattern with contract negotiations with the Patriots. Perhaps bringing in Amendola and Colts WR Anthony Gonzalez is, as was suggestion to me, head games. Maybe. The Patriots do play them sometimes. But not recklessly. This will be interesting.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Nick how did you beat me to this?! Haha well I'm glad to hear he's not leaving. I'm very biased because I love Danny, but I'm glad these rumors don't seem to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    Nick how did you beat me to this?! Haha well I'm glad to hear he's not leaving. I'm very biased because I love Danny, but I'm glad these rumors don't seem to be true.
    Dez has me tied to my desk glued to my Twitter feed.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would take the second pick IF it happens...

Amendola, Salas and Pettis are so similar still not sure why we drafted both Pettis and Salas. Salas is a keeper, I think he can slide out side and be a solid number two. He's just is a beast to bring down once he as the ball...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123