Thread: Pats eye Welker

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Pats eye Welker

Continuing with their aggressive approach in free agency that already landed linebacker Adalius Thomas and tight end Kyle Brady, the Patriots are now expected to court restricted free agent receiver Wes Welker.

Welker enters his fourth season in 2007, having played his first three seasons with the Miami Dolphins. He was tendered a one-year, $1.3 million contract by Miami.

If the Patriots sign him to an offer sheet, and the Dolphins elect not to match it, the team would have to surrender a second-round draft choice.

Welker totaled a career-high 67 catches for 687 yards last season. He had nine catches for 77 yards against the Patriots on Oct. 8.
    Now the interesting thing about this is not that NE will give up a second round pick to get Welker, its that they will likely include a 'poison pill' clause in the contract. One suggested is that the entire contract will have to be honoured if Welker plays 5 or more games in Miami. Thats such a nasty clause for Miami to have to accept that its almost criminal

I would love to have Welker as a Ram. He might not have great speed but the guy can just make plays as both a returner and a receiver

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: Pats eye Welker

I dont understand the poisen pill, can someone else explain it to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    I dont understand the poisen pill, can someone else explain it to me?
    Its basically a clause in the contract that makes it very hard for the team that currently owns the player to match the offer sheet.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I agree that Welker is good WR, but he's not the game breaker that Brady needs and hopefully will never get

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I agree that Welker is good WR, but he's not the game breaker that Brady needs and hopefully will never get
    Welker is very very underrated.

The Pats know a thing or two about players, and this is the type of pick up that keeps them up in the running for the superbowl year after year. Little known players that make a big impact

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Welker is underated, but he is not worth a 2nd round pick, 3-4 maybe but not 2nd. Good return man, but maroney is also very good and he would be #2-3 with caldwell, gaffney(played great at the end) and later chad jackson.