throwback week

Thread: Paul Soliai, DT

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Paul Soliai, DT

So I was reading Barry Waller's sleeper picks and he had one DT, Paul Soliai from Utah. I personally had never heard of him and was wondering what you all, especially the wise and all knowing Nick , thought about him.

I'll cut and paste the info I found on him.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=14827

Combine Results
    Height: 6040
    Weight: 344
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.10
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.93
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.63
    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
    Vertical Jump: 29 1/2
    Broad Jump: 8'7"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.69
    3-Cone Drill: 7.66

Pro Day Results
    Height: 6040
    Weight: 344
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.02
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.86
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.69
    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
    Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
    Broad Jump:
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53
    3-Cone Drill: 7.77

Draft Scout Paul Soliai News
    01/07/07 - Utah All-American Eric Weddle and teammate Paul Soliai have been invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine Feb. 22-28 in Indianapolis. The duo will also participate in postseason all-star games. Weddle, a defensive back, accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 27 and Soliai, a defensive lineman, is headed to the Houston-based East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 20. - Dirk Facer, Deseret Morning News

12/31/06 - PRO PROSPECTS: DT Paul Soliai should have scouts drooling over his size (6-4, 334) when he tries to make it to the next level. But he was suspended for the Armed Forces Bowl and character issues might become a consideration.

12/24/06 - DT Paul Soliai was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules and didn't play in the Armed Forces Bowl against Tulsa on Saturday night. Soliai's suspension was announced just before the game began. Freshman Kenape Eliapo started in his place. Soliai, a senior, started all 12 games during the regular season with 35 tackles, two sacks, a fumble recovery and a blocked PAT in the regular-season finale against BYU. As a junior college transfer last season, Soliai played in all 12 games. - AP Sports Wire

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/soliai_paul

OVERVIEW
    Soliai is an unheralded talent with excellent size to play in the two-gap scheme. He is a former offensive guard with just two years of experience on the defensive line, but he plays with leverage and is known for his ability to occupy multiple blockers.

One of eight children, Soliai was team captain and an offensive lineman at Nuuuli Poly Tech in Pago Pago, American Samoa. He also lettered in basketball and soccer. Upon graduating, Soliai moved to the United States. He enrolled at Coffeyville Community College in 2002, where he excelled as an offensive guard. The two-time All-Jayhawk Community College Conference choice added All-America honorable mention as a freshman and first-team national honors in 2003.

Soliai transferred to the University of Utah in 2004, spending the season redshirting on the scout team. He suited up for the team's fourth game of the season against Air Force, but did not appear in that game. He shifted to the defensive line in 2005 spring camp, gaining valuable experience behind Kelly Talavou at nose guard. He managed just five tackles (four solos) with a sack and 1 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

Soliai earned second-team All-Mountain West Conference honors in 2006. He started the team's first 12 games at nose guard, but was ruled ineligible for post-season action. He registered 35 tackles (13 solos) with 2 sacks, 3 stops for losses and four pass deflections. He caused and recovered a fumble while also blocking an extra point attempt.

In 24 games at Utah, Soliai started 12 times. He produced 40 tackles (14 solos) with 3 sacks for minus-27 yards and five stops for losses totaling 31 yards. He caused and recovered a fumble. He also was credited with four pass breakups and one blocked kick.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a wide-body frame with massive chest and shoulder thickness, huge bubble, wide waist and hips, thick thighs and calves and an ideal frame to play in a two-gap alignment Has good quickness and short-area balance for a player of his size and adequate change-of-direction agility to work his way down the line Shows the functional burst and acceleration needed as a bull rusher and uses his hands decently to gain advantage coming off the snap Holds his ground firmly vs. the trap blocks and double teams, but is still learning proper hand placement to stave off low blocks Not a quick learner, but will show urgency to close when he locates the ball When he keeps his pad level down, he is quick to slip blocks and deliver a strong hand punch to push the blocker back into the pocket Has the functional strength needed to stop the lead blocker and ball carrier at the line of scrimmage Uses his hands adequately to disengage when bull rushing Can stuff and shed when he keeps his hands inside his frame, and has enough short-area burst to close on the quarterback Has some lateral agility to slip past blocks and has learned how to time his leaps and get his hands up to block the passer's vision at the line (good at deflecting passes) Stays on his feet working through trash and locks up the ball carrier well once he wraps to secure Delivers a strong hand punch to prevent blockers from getting into his chest Still developing hand placement, but when he extends properly, he can maintain separation Gets more pressure on the bull rush to take down the quarterback, but is used more to occupy multiple blockers and collapse the pocket rather than give chase and close the deal.

Negatives: Has had weight issues in the past and needs to keep his bulk down, as he does tire late in games Not always alert for angle blocks and traps, but is a load to bring down when he moves to the ball (will get washed, but only when he gets too tall or narrows his base) Will get washed out of plays when he fails to keep his pads down, as his base gets too narrow when he is stood up at the line of scrimmage Has good power in his lower body (despite being knock-kneed), but runs upright and lacks the change-of-direction agility in pursuit (more suited for a straight-ahead charge) Late to react coming off the snap, showing only adequate ability to locate the ball instantly (lacks valid instincts) Has the arm strength, but will struggle to break through the containment when he short arms Lacks ideal pass rush moves, but is good at squeezing the pocket rather than sealing the deal Lacks good plant-and-drive agility, needing to gather before redirecting Keeps his arms too close to the body rather than extending to jolt (has a strong punch, but does not use it consistently) Character issues arise, as he was suspended from postseason action for team rules violation Typical junior college player who has yet to learn what kind of work it is going to take to succeed (does what is asked in training, nothing more) More comfortable diagnosing run plays, as he is very slow to locate the passer in his pursuit More effective playing in the box, as he tends to lose balance and get cut often working in space His girth and previous experience as an offensive guard could see him develop quicker on that side of the ball Is susceptible to being drawn offside, as he lacks a feel for the pre-snap.

Compares To: Isaac Sopoaga, San Francisco -- Much like his fellow Samoan, Soliai is a load in the middle of the field In a two-gap system, he is much more effective, as he plays the run well, but lacks the explosive initial step on his pass rush to be anything more than a type who can sometimes pressure the pocket He doesn't have an array of moves or the vision to locate the ball well in backside pursuit Left at the line of scrimmage, he is very capable of tying up multiple blockers at the point of attack He is quick to slip single blocks, but exposes his body too much at the Xs, getting double-teamed often.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Team captain and an offensive lineman at Nuuuli Poly Tech in Pago Pago, American Samoa Also lettered in basketball and soccer.

JUNIOR COLLEGE
    Enrolled at Coffeyville Community College in 2002, where he excelled as an offensive guard The two-time All-Jayhawk Community College Conference choice added All-America honorable mention as a freshman in 2002 and first-team national honors in 2003.

PERSONAL
    Sociology major One of eight children of Florence Levao Mother played softball at San Francisco State Step-father is the Reverend Foto Levao Born Paul Fuapapa Soliai on Dec. 30, 1983 in Orange County, Calif. Resides in Pago Pago, American Samoa.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Paul Soliai, DT

Probably an early Day Two pick as a nose tackle, maybe late Day One if someone wants to get a jump on him before teams are able to take the rest of the night to regroup for the second day. I'm rather intrigued as to why there aren't any bench numbers from either the combine or his pro day.

It is interesting to note though that here we have another big man who has weight issues and work ethic concerns listed in his analysis.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

So is there any way he is available when the Rams pick in round 2?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    So is there any way he is available when the Rams pick in round 2?
    Yes, but I would consider him a pretty big reach in the second round.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Oops I meant to type round 3.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Nick, I've become interested in this kid recently. He seems to be have what we are lacking for a defensive tackle. Do you think that he would be a fit for this team? And if so do you think that we could take him round 3 or 4? I know he has some character issues which tends to lean towards the fact that he may be a trouble maker. Do you think that he would be worth the risk? And one final question. If we end up with someone like Tank Tyler in round 2 do you think that we would still go after someone like Soliai?

And I too found it odd that he didn't bench press. Makes me wonder what kind of upper body strength he has then, if he isn't willing to bench.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Why is it that most of the talented D line men that have potential also have character issues? The kid dose have the size, but JK keeps popping into my mind the more I read on him.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

keith m. klink Guest

This is something that i had heard earlier this year on this site and other ram's sites, everyone wanted this kid, just because they saw his size. he's a monster. but i had done some looking into this kid , months ago. and without loosing any sleep, i would pass on him.and as you look at this article that ramfantilidie posted, this kid IS NOT , NFL ready. played in very few games, not much of a differance maker. i might even say, that there is better talent at that position in the 6th -7th rounds that i would have to take before him. if the rams wanted to suit him up, and just leave him on the line to take up space, then he is our man. we need a player there. he's not it.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Klink,

Why do you feel he's not a talent. No chance of him being "coached up".

I know your thoughts on him but you gave no explanation of how you came to this conclusion.....

keith m. klink Guest

CRAZY, he might be able to be coached up , as you say, i never met the kid, or studied a film on him, but it really looks as if he got by on just his size alone. there have been many huge guy's in the college ranks that could not make the NFL adjustment. all i'm saying is this. if you look at who we drafted last year with our 3rd- 4th round. this is where most of the guy's on the teams sited say he would go, i just see better talent , better and more experianced players, at 6'1 and 300-310 lbs, that i believe would be better than this guy, that have played 40 -50 games. this is just my opinion. as a college player, the amount of games he played and talent that he saw, the amount of time at his position, i'm sorry , i just don't see it. i wouldn't give up a pick, the likes of (ALSTON or VICTOR A.) for him. if it so happens that the rams or someone draft him , and he is a good pro, i will admit that i was wrong. when i'm wrong i'll say and admit i'm wrong. i don't mean to upset people here. this is just an honest oppinion that i shared. and maybe i should be careful, and keep these things to myself. maybe i'll just stick with all the genaric stuff put out there like: who do you think is better or what do you think would be the best guy .
    Last edited by keith m. klink; -03-25-2007 at 03:19 PM.