Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pay Close Attention to Trent Richardson in Today's Game

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Re: Pay Close Attention to Trent Richardson in Today's Game

I think going the running back by committee is the better option once the Jackson era is over.

Heck, we could use a change of pace back right now behind Jackson.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    To the person who said Trent Richardson is above average, and not elite...

Well, you probably can't be more wrong than you just were.

Above average? You're calling the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson above average?

I don't know which Trent Richardson you've been watching, but the one from Tuscaloosa is a legitimate player.

Personally, I think he's better than SJax.
    Oh I believe he is elite. I was referring to last night's performance which other than the 34 yard TD run and an earlier run were not up to his usual standards. I think he is great and having him in our backfield would immediately help Bradford because teams would have to respect our running game. I happen to agree with you that he's probably better than S-Jax. I also believe he will come into the draft with a higher grade than Justin Blackmon which was the purpose of my saying that if we remain in the #2 spot we would be better served with selecting TR.

Go Rams!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Okay, let me elaborate a bit on my thoughts here. First, TR IS rated higher than JB in every draft grading I've seen to date. Second, some ratings have gone so far as to declare him the Best RB to Come Out of College since Adrian Peterson. There has been none of that talk surrounding Justin Blackmon (who I really want to see as a Ram). You cannot lose sight of the fact that football these days has become a business and drafting smartly is considered good business.
    Rankings vary from person to person so I don't doubt that some have Richardson rated higher. But a higher grade doesn't guarantee being picked higher. If a kicker had the highest grade in the draft, should he be a Top Ten pick? Not a great comparison, but part of the evaluation process for every team is not just an objective player evaluation but their own organizational needs as well as positional value. And IMO, in today's NFL, a running back simply doesn't possess a positional value to be taken second overall. It's rarely happened in the last decade-plus, and in an era of 5,000-yard passers, this is a league built around the passing game, not the elite running back.

My only reasoning is that if we need extra draft picks and free-up cap space this could be an option the FO will consider.
    But neither of those are things this team needs to do. Based on numerous reports, the Rams don't need the extra cap space because they'll be one of the teams with the most cap room in 2013. Additionally, the return on a Steven Jackson trade is not going to be big due to (1) his age, (2) his contract, and (3) the pounding he's taken over the years on a team that has used him as a workhorse. If all you're getting in return for Jackson is a fourth or fifth round pick, that's hardly worth losing your best offensive player IMO.

If we wind up taking Blackmon at #2 depending on his combine performance, you can expect to hear "reach" coming from a lot of voices.
    I'm sorry, but I think this is kind of silly.

For starters, mocks around the 'net are already pegging Justin Blackmon as a possibility for the Rams @ 2. In fact, the vast majority of mocks either have Blackmon or Kalil as the Rams' pick. And many of them had Blackmon there before his outstanding bowl performance. To say that the Rams would be criticized for reaching by taking one of the two most frequently projected players in that spot doesn't seem logical to me. And it's not just fan mocks projecting him to the Rams. Here's what Charlie Casserly said just two days ago:

"If Griffin comes out that second pick has value. If he doesn't come out, it doesn't. I would ask for two No. 1 picks and another pick depending on where that team is [sitting]. Unless I can get a second No. 1 I'm taking [Justin] Blackmon and now I've got a target for Bradford."
    So yes, by all means explore a trade down. But Blackmon is already being talked about as a possibility for the Rams, both before and after his electric bowl performance. Unless he completely bombs at some point this offseason, he's going to be an option and I doubt many are going to criticize it as being a reach given how often it's projected.

Secondly, if you view Blackmon as a Top Five pick in this class, and I think a number of people do, then you're not really "reaching" by taking him at two. There has to be some wiggle room in your draft rankings to account for need. Obviously you don't take, say, the 18th-rated player at the number two spot. But if Blackmon is the fifth-highest prospect on your board, third highest of non-quarterbacks, are you really reaching by taking him at #2 overall? I really don't think so.
    rammiser likes this.

rammiser is offline Registered User

When was the last time a running back carried his team to the Superbowl? Maybe you can say Terrell Davis and Jerome Bettis but both of those team had elite qb's in the backfield. We have an elite back and S-Jax did not appear to be slowing down as of yet. He won't last forever but why waste a pick on a running back now when there are so many holes on this team. I don't care if you throw Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in the backfield if we cant block for our qb it doesnt matter.

Richardson looks like he will be a fine back but if I got a dollar every time i heard so and so is the best fill in the blank since so and so I'd be having dinner with Donald Trump. Ryan Leaf was the next so and so. Lawrence Phillips was the next so and so. Blair Thomas was the next oh you get it. The list goes on and on. The draft is a complete crap shoot and you just dont know until they hit the field. Arian Foster is a pretty good examlple of that. I'll take a undrafted free agent like Arian Foster rather than using the number two over all on a position we are solid at.

Will we need a rb in the next few years? Yes of course we will, however good and even great rb's can be found in any round of the draft and even after the draft. We need to fill the positions on this team that we are not good at before making luxury draft picks.
    Just Fix It

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    When was the last time a running back carried his team to the Superbowl? Maybe you can say Terrell Davis and Jerome Bettis but both of those team had elite qb's in the backfield. We have an elite back and S-Jax did not appear to be slowing down as of yet. He won't last forever but why waste a pick on a running back now when there are so many holes on this team. I don't care if you throw Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in the backfield if we cant block for our qb it doesnt matter.

Richardson looks like he will be a fine back but if I got a dollar every time i heard so and so is the best fill in the blank since so and so I'd be having dinner with Donald Trump. Ryan Leaf was the next so and so. Lawrence Phillips was the next so and so. Blair Thomas was the next oh you get it. The list goes on and on. The draft is a complete crap shoot and you just dont know until they hit the field. Arian Foster is a pretty good examlple of that. I'll take a undrafted free agent like Arian Foster rather than using the number two over all on a position we are solid at.

Will we need a rb in the next few years? Yes of course we will, however good and even great rb's can be found in any round of the draft and even after the draft. We need to fill the positions on this team that we are not good at before making luxury draft picks.
    The problem with saying we can find good and even great RB's in any round and even after the draft is that it is much easier said than done.

For every Arian Foster there are countless Quinn Porters and Chauncey Washingtons.

Just saying that we can get a great RB anywhere anytime is foolish. Obviously there will be a few gems here and there, but for the most part RBs fall that low or become undrafted because it accurately depicts the talent, or lack of talent, they have.

And for the record, saying Trent Richardson is the next best prospect since AP is much different than saying he is the next best running back ​since AP.

msha is offline Registered User

Saying he's the best since since AP means absolutely nothing to me. You'll have to do a whole lot more than that to convince me. McFadden is really the only other good RB to come out since AP. Most people would probably say Ingram had the better career at Alabama, or at least even to TR, and he was a late 1st round pick who had an average rookie year on a team with the top passing O.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12