Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Per Bernie: Faneca, Stallworth

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Am I hearing this correctly? Faneca is OVERPRICED? Are you freaking kidding me? The guy came into Steelers camp last year at top notch shape. He's the best at his position. He's a cog in the Rams hole that could be filled instantly. And some of you think he's overpriced?

He'll be a Ram by Saturday and I will be dad gum glad for it. It's easier to play a rookie WR than a rookie O lineman anyday.
    Darn tootin I think he's overpriced. He's given up on salary once before to stay with the Steelers and now he's jumping ship just to get his big payday. He's only looking at those teams willing to pay him the most, that's why he isn't even visiting with teams.

Dr. Z, the only sportswriter that I've ever seen actually look at line play around the league, has seen Faneca regress over the last two years and he is simply not the best at his position. I would go with youngster Logan Mankins of the Patriots as the best guard in the league. Hutchinson in not as good as he was when he was in Seattle, and Faneca will not be as good as he was with the Steelers, which he isn't even as good now as he was.

Faneca is the glitzy name to win the press conference, not the games. If you people think that Bennett was a waste of money, just wait till you're all clamoring for another two players that we could have afforded had we not signed Faneca. There are other guards out there for half the price who'll be just as good, mark my words.

RamJackson39 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Darn tootin I think he's overpriced. He's given up on salary once before to stay with the Steelers and now he's jumping ship just to get his big payday. He's only looking at those teams willing to pay him the most, that's why he isn't even visiting with teams.

Dr. Z, the only sportswriter that I've ever seen actually look at line play around the league, has seen Faneca regress over the last two years and he is simply not the best at his position. I would go with youngster Logan Mankins of the Patriots as the best guard in the league. Hutchinson in not as good as he was when he was in Seattle, and Faneca will not be as good as he was with the Steelers, which he isn't even as good now as he was.

Faneca is the glitzy name to win the press conference, not the games. If you people think that Bennett was a waste of money, just wait till you're all clamoring for another two players that we could have afforded had we not signed Faneca. There are other guards out there for half the price who'll be just as good, mark my words.

Then the talent he's playing against must be regressing as well because he's been a stud in Pittsburgh. He's in great shape and a hard worker, and besides that he is an excellent football player. He wants to get paid, thats great. Who doesnt want to make that kind of money? It's hard to find great linemen in the league right now...and I definately wouldnt put Mankins in the category or anywhere near it yet.

In the end I think it's really difficult to overpay the guys that are opening the holes for the running back and protecting the QB. Those are the guys that really make the offense work. And with the league moving towards more athletic defensive lineman now, I think it's going to be hard to find a more athletic guard then Faneca to handle them.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Faneca's play might have not been what it once was. But he was playing at such a high level that just because his play is not as good, it doesnt mean he is still not one of the best guards in the league

Rambos is offline Registered User

Can faneca play center cause last time i checked we dont have a center on our roster.
    No, but Cog can. And we can still draft a C and or grab a vet in FA. Brett Romberg might not be brought back.

Incognito Settled at Center

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The first time Richie Incognito lined up at center in an NFL game was just over a month ago. Now, with five games under his belt, Incognito looks like he’s been playing center for years.

In fact, it took just a few moments for Incognito to settle in the middle. For his performance against the ***** on Sept. 17, just a week after replacing the injured Andy McCollum, Incognito was named the team’s offensive player of the week.

Despite his early success, Incognito is keeping a level head about his performance.

“I played very well in San Francisco,” Incognito said. “I don’t think I’ve been going up and down, I think I just kept an even track and I think it’s been going pretty good.”

Indeed it has. Incognito has made an almost seamless transition from guard to center. Incognito estimates that the last time he played center before this season was in fall camp before his second season at Nebraska. In that case, he was also replacing an injured ball snapper.

This year, Incognito got some opportunities to work in the middle during minicamps, but he hadn’t had a whole lot of experience. That’s why Incognito calls the transition one that will continue to take some time.

“It’s an ongoing thing,” Incognito said. “It’s tough because I wasn’t there in training camp and I wasn’t preparing for all of the defenses, so every week, each team has a different look, so it’s like I’m getting acquainted each week.”

Incognito will have to get acquainted quickly this week considering the challenge that is put before him. The Chargers boast the league’s top rated defense, allowing just 241.2 yards per contest.

Anchoring the defense is giant nose tackle Jamal Williams, a 6-3, 348 pound monster in the middle who went to the Pro Bowl last season. Williams is the key to San Diego’s 3-4 defensive scheme and will be the man who has to line up directly over Incognito. Incognito squared off against San Francisco’s Bryant Young and held his own.

Williams is a bit different, though.

“He’s a game wrecker,” Incognito said.

Incognito is the type of player that relishes one on one battles in the trenches. But center is a different deal than guard as far as lining up for those battles.

“Just the close proximity,” Incognito said. “I have a guy right, head-up over me. When I played guard, my toes were on his heels, so there was about two feet of space in there where I get two or three steps in before he makes contact. Now my feet always have to be on the ground and I can’t get really too far in bad position.”

Also if you think our oline is so bad how is one guy going to fix that and I dont care what anyone says he is overpriced.
    This one guy is a proven Pro Bowl player, add him next to Pace another Pro Bowl Player and Jake Long to the mix and you have a very big O line. I would love to see SJ get behind these big boys.

Setterstrom played well enough for us to start him and draft some depth.
    He did play well, but he has not played that long to compare him to seven-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca like Faneca is a reach IMO. We need more then just well enough. I think Marc and SJ would agree.

LT Pace
    LG Faneca
    C Cog - Romberg
    RG Long
    RT Barron

LT Pace
    LG Faneca
    C Cog - Romberg
    RG Setterstrom
    RT Barron
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-29-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Faneca's play might have not been what it once was. But he was playing at such a high level that just because his play is not as good, it doesnt mean he is still not one of the best guards in the league
    Actually, the Steelers had a lot of issues protecting the QB the last couple years. The run game has done pretty well for them, but Jax got 1000 even with our makeshift line last year, so you could say our run game wasn't horrid. The fact of the matter is, Jax and Parker get themselves open and will work with whatever line they have in front of them. It's the pass protection that's the key, and Faneca's been a part of a line that has had issues and you can't say he's not at least partially responsible for that.

smizzhfx Guest

Can we even afford to give the kind of money a guy like Faneca is going to demand? He's 31 and will be 32 by the time the season starts meaning he's well past the peak in his career. We'd essentially be doing what put us in this situation to begin with.. throwing too much money at aging FAs who don't necessarily deserve it rather than building by signing young, up-and-coming FAs with a lot of upside and by making reasonable, informed, sane draft picks...

Revelstoke Guest

LT Pace
    LG Faneca
    C Cog - Romberg
    RG Long
    RT Barron
    Thats a pretty slick lookin line. Lots of size, Cogs provding the fire from the middle. I think I could get used to that.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Can we even afford to give the kind of money a guy like Faneca is going to demand?
    Rams signed Marc for 65 million, my question is when are we going to protect that investment.

smizzhfx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Rams signed Marc for 65 million, my question is when are we going to protect that investment.
    For what, the next 2 seasons while Faneca rapidly regresses and becomes just another 35 year old cap casualy?

smizzhfx Guest

Alan Faneca isn't making any free agent visits until he's ready to sign a contract. The Jets have offered four years for $32 million with about $20 in guarantees.

The Rams and ***** are also reportedly making offers. Faneca's agent will present the deals to his client Saturday, and a decision will come by Sunday at the latest.
    via rotoworld.

Where do the 9ers find all this cap space.. they signed 3 or 4 FAs last year, including Nate Clements' massive contract, and they've already signed a couple of guys (no big names albeit) this year. I don't think this is a bidding war the Rams can afford to win.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We need to start thinking about 2 years into the future when we are back in the same problem we are now with the cap. We will have a 33/34 year old guy taking up a huge cap chunk. If we were one or two players away from the super bowl this would be great but we arent. Stick with the draft and get depth behind setterstrom. There is no point in continually moving the oft injured cog.

This is dead thread anyway. the guy is going to the jets.

smizzhfx Guest

Alan Faneca-G-Steelers Feb. 29 - 1:50 pm et

Alan Faneca isn't making any free agent visits until he's ready to sign a contract. The Jets have offered four years for $32 million with about $20 in guarantees.

The Rams and ***** are also reportedly making offers. Faneca's agent will present the deals to his client Saturday, and a decision will come by Sunday at the latest.
    Source: Newsday
    via rotoworld.

Jets | Team to meet with Faneca
    Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:22:41 -0800

NFL.com reports the New York Jets are expected to meet with unrestricted free-agent OG Alan Faneca (Steelers) sometime during the weekend.
    via kffl.

Done deal?

jquarando is offline Registered User

its on wikipedia that he signed the deal. I mean its gotta be true if its on there.

btimsah Guest

Well last night I threw a touchdown bomb to Stallworth on Madden, so I say he's worth it. (haha)..

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Can we even afford to give the kind of money a guy like Faneca is going to demand? He's 31 and will be 32 by the time the season starts meaning he's well past the peak in his career. We'd essentially be doing what put us in this situation to begin with.. throwing too much money at aging FAs who don't necessarily deserve it rather than building by signing young, up-and-coming FAs with a lot of upside and by making reasonable, informed, sane draft picks...
    No, we can't. People like to use Adam Timmerman as a reason to go after Faneca, saying that he's going to be the next great line signing that leads to a ring. Timmerman gave us 8 good years. Faneca's not a good as Timmerman was in 99, and I highly doubt he'll be as good in 4 years as Timmerman was after 8. Do you really expect Faneca to be productive till he's 40? Please. Sign someone in their 20's who's up can coming, not a might be at his prime or probably past it. That's how we got into the Chavous mess.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-28-2008, 09:27 PM