Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JustinHasAnAxe
  • 1 Post By rNemesis

Thread: Peter King: Gap Between A.J. Green and Julio Jones Closing

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Peter King: Gap Between A.J. Green and Julio Jones Closing

Those of you who saw my most recent Rams Draft Board know that I already have Jones (slightly) ahead of Green.

Looks like others are starting to join my bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter King
    NEW ORLEANS -- A.J. Green or Julio Jones? That is the question for many receiver-needy teams in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft on April 28.
    For most of the off-season, it's been assumed Green was a lock to be the first receiver -- and might even be a candidate to go first overall, to the Carolina Panthers or another team trading up to get him. But then Jones ran two 40-yard dashes at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis between 4.34 seconds and 4.40 seconds with a slight foot fracture (which I'm told will not threaten his long-term pro career). Teams began putting their sniffers out to discover everything they could about the two players as people. Jones is a safer guy, in terms of work ethic and practice habits, several personnel men have told me.
    It's now a race. Jones has narrowed the gap between himself and Green to the point where I'm told by two teams with receiver needs that they favor Jones. Draft czar Gil Brandt says, "The gap has closed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones picked ahead of Green at this point.''
    I'm told the Bengals, who have the fourth pick and are considering a receiver, have Jones ahead of Green on their preliminary draft board. Coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't go that far this morning at the annual NFL meetings, but there's no question he's studying each guy. "That's the fun of the draft,'' Lewis said. "Sometimes we as teams all look at things slightly differently. But they're both going to be outstanding players. They're big, they play the game physically, they run well.
    "A.J. has demonstrated acrobatic catching ability. They both have a big catching radius. Julio has been a tenacious blocker. The question is, what do you value most?''
    The Panthers, picking number one, reportedly have Green in their list of "six or seven'' players they're considering at the top of the draft. I'd be stunned in Carolina does anything but pick a defensive lineman, quarterback or trades the pick. John Elway has said the Broncos are considering a quarterback at number two, but that would be a shocker. Buffalo is not taking a receiver at number three; the Bills will go quarterback or defensive front-seven player. That brings us to the fourth pick.
    "My boss loves offense,'' Lewis said Tuesday morning.
    He's referring to the owner and GM of the Bengals, Mike Brown. The Bengals will be the first serious candidate to choose a wideout. Here's where it gets interesting. I'm told Cincinnati has gotten poor reviews of Green as a practice player and willing blocker. The Bengals new offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, will demand his receivers block downfield. They have no trepidation about Jones on either score.
    That's why I believe there's a better chance now, five weeks before the draft, that Jones will get picked before Green -- if Cincinnati is doing the receiver-picking at number four in the first round.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Peter King: Gap Between A.J. Green and Julio Jones Closing

Thats worse for us I think, if Jones moves up (even ahead of Green), Green is not gonna fall past Washington at #10. We might as well focus on other needs in the 1st round now and grab a second rounder WR.

still, 5 weeks to go, Maybe Green will slip further down.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Stengthens my resoove to get a #1 WR is FA instead and get a good player with #14 pick. Stupid lockout....

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Stengthens my resoove to get a #1 WR is FA instead and get a good player with #14 pick. Stupid lockout....
    Um... What FA?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I was up untill recently 50/50 about the chances J.Jones fell to the Rams at 14. Ive almost given up the ghost on him with all this hype going on.
    T.Smith or Hankerson would still do nicely for me in the second round as a consolation.
    Whatever happens we must find the best players regardless of position. End of story.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Dez, Crabtree, and Desean Jackson's draft day "free falls" give me slight hope that one of the two are still there. Sure all of those guys had more question marks then Green and Jones, but a guy can dream.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Softli was on the radio here in St. Louis this morning discussing this exactly.

He warned against getting swept away in player stock after then end of their football season. He went on to elaborate but the gist of it being that Julio Jones ran fast at the combine, but A.J. Green played faster all year. He also commented that Jones hands were suspect and that he didnt run many (or maybe any) NFL WR routes.

He was also asked who he saw as the most likely bust of the season and named Torrey Smith, citing that he has great speed but terrible ball skills and uses his body to catch too often.

I see it this way, and this is just my opinion.

If Julio Jones is taken before A.J. Green i would feel much more comfortable with the Rams trading up to get Green than i would if they traded up to get Jones.
    ZiaRam likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=cfh128;382870]Um... What FA?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant whatever FA is present once a new CBA is achieved. He did say " stupid lockout"..

That being said, I dont know if I would touch any of the receivers in round 2 or beyond, as round2 has not been kind to us with Donnie Avery, and I'm not sure that those guys are that special. If we cant get Julio Jones we might as well pick for other positions that may have a greater impact.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Softli was on the radio here in St. Louis this morning discussing this exactly.

He warned against getting swept away in player stock after then end of their football season. He went on to elaborate but the gist of it being that Julio Jones ran fast at the combine, but A.J. Green played faster all year. He also commented that Jones hands were suspect and that he didnt run many (or maybe any) NFL WR routes.

He was also asked who he saw as the most likely bust of the season and named Torrey Smith, citing that he has great speed but terrible ball skills and uses his body to catch too often.

I see it this way, and this is just my opinion.

If Julio Jones is taken before A.J. Green i would feel much more comfortable with the Rams trading up to get Green than i would if they traded up to get Jones.
    After watching both of them Green is instant talent that will contribute right away. I'd love for him to fall to us but dont think teams draft day will believe the hoopla... He'll go first..
    [QUOTE=rNemesis;382886]
    Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Um... What FA?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant whatever FA is present once a new CBA is achieved. He did say " stupid lockout"..

That being said, I dont know if I would touch any of the receivers in round 2 or beyond, as round2 has not been kind to us with Donnie Avery, and I'm not sure that those guys are that special. If we cant get Julio Jones we might as well pick for other positions that may have a greater impact.
    Exactly my point... Nothing is going to happen to at least after April 6 with the CBA hearing in Minnesota so going to have to wait till then...
    When Fa does come around, because it will, I'd rather get our WR there since I'm thinking both Green and Jones will be gone anyhow, Better to cover your arse in FA first if we do have it before the draft....