Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Peter King suggests Ram trade Jackson if they draft Richardson

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Peter King suggests Ram trade Jackson if they draft Richardson

From his latest article:
    Jeff Fisher loves Trent Richardson, and the impact of the Rams ending up with the Alabama running back would be huge. First, the Rams would presumably either trade or release Steve Jackson if this happens. I don't see them paying Jackson $7 million in 2012 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon. And that big number takes some logical teams (Steelers, Giants) out of the running for Jackson. Now, I view this scenario as unlikely anyway, because the Rams simply have to get receiver help for Sam Bradford. But if Justin Blackmon is gone here and Richardson's still there, he's logical for the Rams. Of course, Cleveland likes Richardson a lot, and rookie Tampa coach Greg Schiano does too, so I don't see Richardson making it to six.
    I can see where he is coming from, in that the salary is large. But at the same time, Jackson is a team captain. He can show Richardson the ropes, and the Rams would be foolish to dump their best offensive player. I just don't see it personally.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Peter King suggests Ram trade Jackson if they draft Richardson

I don't see that happening. First, I don't think Fisher would mind having both SJax and Richardson for a year or two. Second, as noted, SJax's contract make him virtually untradeable.

Of course, if you want to get really creative, you can come up with some sort of deal where the Rams send SJax to the Steelers and for Mike Wallace (and use SJax's cap $ to pay Wallace), but that sort of thing only happens in fantasy leagues.
    San Diego Ram likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Mike Martz loves Steven Jackson, and the impact of the Rams ending up with the Oregon St. running back would be huge. First, the Rams would presumably either trade or release Marshall Faulk if this happens. I don't see them paying Faulk's big salary in 2004 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Mike Martz loves Steven Jackson, and the impact of the Rams ending up with the Oregon St. running back would be huge. First, the Rams would presumably either trade or release Marshall Faulk if this happens. I don't see them paying Faulk's big salary in 2004 to share the job with a player certain to eclipse him soon.
    That response was so good I'm kicking myself for not coming up with it myself!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

And the truth of the matter is that Richardson is only a one year starter. Very talented, and can probably help right away, but most likely it would be best for him to play backup for a year or two, much like Jackson did, to get used to the NFL and the blocking schemes and learn from a true pro.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I really hope we dont take Richardson if hes available.

If Jackson has taught us anything over the past 5+ years, its that having a Top 5 running back on your team doesnt mean much if you cant get the ball downfield through the air.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

This is the only thing I took from this post:

However, King also believes the Rams would lean toward Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon if both he and Richardson were still on the board,

That is all...

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I really hope we dont take Richardson if hes available.

If Jackson has taught us anything over the past 5+ years, its that having a Top 5 running back on your team doesnt mean much if you cant get the ball downfield through the air.
    I'm not sure that being able to get the ball down field will mean much if you don't have a RB who makes the safety play in the box on occassion.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't see that happening. First, I don't think Fisher would mind having both SJax and Richardson for a year or two. Second, as noted, SJax's contract make him virtually untradeable.

Of course, if you want to get really creative, you can come up with some sort of deal where the Rams send SJax to the Steelers and for Mike Wallace (and use SJax's cap $ to pay Wallace), but that sort of thing only happens in fantasy leagues.
    This just in....The St.Louis Rams have opted out of their NFL contract to join a fantasy league.

I can only hope.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think what we have learned in the last few years is that top rb or not, if you dont have a functional offensive line, you cant run AND you cant throw. Sure, our receivers have been weak. Sure, jackson is a top back. Our offense stinks (and has stunk) more than any other reason because our offensive line has been terrible for years. People continue to believe that a top flight receiver is our biggest need. I agree its our single biggest individual need, but i dont care what playmakers we get, it isnt going to matter all that much if bradford is flat on his ass all the time and there are no holes for jackson/richardson to run through.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think what we have learned in the last few years is that top rb or not, if you dont have a functional offensive line, you cant run AND you cant throw. Sure, our receivers have been weak. Sure, jackson is a top back. Our offense stinks (and has stunk) more than any other reason because our offensive line has been terrible for years. People continue to believe that a top flight receiver is our biggest need. I agree its our single biggest individual need, but i dont care what playmakers we get, it isnt going to matter all that much if bradford is flat on his ass all the time and there are no holes for jackson/richardson to run through.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree general
    The o-line was hit with injuies last year. The Rams have no depth for any position on the o-line. That is why I want the Rams to draft OT/G Keleche Osemele in the second round.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Well of course it's not going to matter if Bradford is on his ass with the ball in his hands. But it might, if he's already hit Stephen Hill for an 80 yard TD.

And for those keeping score at home, I believe Jackson is the only back in the league to rush for 1,000 yards in seven consecutive seasons. Including two seasons where he only played in 12 games.

I don't think you can do that if there weren't at least a few holes to run through.

I do get your point GC, but I sure would like to get those playmakers and let the chips fall where they may.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

And for those keeping score at home, I believe Jackson is the only back in the league to rush for 1,000 yards in seven consecutive seasons.
    I get your point, and it's a good one. But Emmitt Smith (11), Barry Sanders (10), Curtis Martin (10), Tomlinson (8), Dickerson (7), and Thurmon Thomas (8) all have as long or longer streaks.

However, S-Jax is the only one still running.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Putting barry sanders aside, what do the rest of those guys all have in common? Do the words functional to outstanding offensive lines mean anything to anyone? Jackson has done more with less over the course of his career than just above any back you can name, with the possible exceptions of walter payton and barry sanders.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    sosa39rams likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That response was so good I'm kicking myself for not coming up with it myself!
    I Second that one!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast