Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: PFT: "Jeff Fisher calls Browns a potential draft day trade partner"

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

PFT: "Jeff Fisher calls Browns a potential draft day trade partner"

After Mike Holmgren blew his stack about the Rams dealing the second overall pick to the Redskins, you wouldn’t think the Browns and Rams would be making any deals this offseason.
    Things can change pretty quickly in the NFL, though, and there’s a chance that the teams could make a deal of their own involving first round draft picks. Speaking at the owners meetings on Wednesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he had no hard feelings about Holmgren’s comments and that he sees the Browns’ fourth overall pick as a potential trade target.
    “Yeah, I would think so,” Fisher said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. “I don’t know if we’d consider going that high. Those conversations aren’t going to take place until draft day because your guy’s got to be there. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of compensation they want. We’re very happy with the compensation we’ve got right now over the next couple of years.”
    If the Rams did move back up to the fourth pick, it would likely be a bid to get Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon. Assuming they like him, the Browns could then take Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill with the sixth pick while picking up something extra for their trouble. That whole scenario could get complicated if the Dolphins were to move up for their own shot at Tannehill, but we’ll try to keep the wild speculation about something that will happen a month from now at a minimum.
    Fisher said there’s a good chance the Rams will move up or move down from the sixth spot come draft day. He also said that the team fielded trade offers for Sam Bradford. It’s not known if the Browns were one of the bidders, although Pat Shurmur’s history with Bradford suggests that they might have thrown the idea in the Rams’ direction at some point.
    Looks like a lot of smoke to me

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: PFT: "Jeff Fisher calls Browns a potential draft day trade partner"

What does "fielded trade offers" mean. Does that mean people asked, and he said "okay... what are you offering," or does it mean people asked and he said "not interested." I'm guessing its the latter.

As for the Rams trading up to No. 4, I'm not buying it. If the Rams felt they needed to be at that spot to get the guy they want, they would have traded the No. 2 pick to Cleveland. To trade with Washington, only to trade back up to No. 4 makes no sense.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

My guess is they fielded offers for Bradford before they traded the #2 pick to see what they could get more for, and if they felt that RGIII would actually be an upgrade. I doubt they are fielding them now.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Before I read this, I thought they where considering moving up with one of our second round picks. I don't see us moving up and losing picks when we can get an elite players..

Fisher said there’s a good chance the Rams will move up or move down from the sixth spot come draft day.
    The Rams are just letting everyone know we would still move back if our guy is not their. If Blackmon was off the board and we moved back and picked up a third and Floyd that would work, we still need a ton of players.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Report: Browns inquired about Sam Bradford

Rams coach Jeff Fisher revealed at this week’s league meetings that St. Louis has received phone calls about the availability of quarterback Sam Bradford in a possible trade. Alper speculated this morning that the Cleveland Browns may have been one of the teams calling the Rams.
    Per Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com, Alper’s speculation was dead on.
    Citing multiple sources, Grossi reports that the Browns indeed made inquiries about Bradford, before unsuccessfully trying to trade up for the No. 2 spot in the draft.
    The Browns’ overtures fell on deaf ears in St. Louis.
    “Clubs inquired,” Fisher said. “But there was no consideration whatsoever on our part [to trade Bradford].”
    Fisher didn’t specifically out the Browns as one of the teams interested in Bradford, but Grossi confirms they were. Cleveland head coach Pat Shurmur was St. Louis’ offensive coordinator during Bradford’s rookie season. So far, that has been the best year of Bradford’s career.
    So while the Browns publicly claim they’re “fine” with Colt McCoy as a starting quarterback, their actions certainly suggest otherwise.
    Looks like AV was right. (Don't you just hate that )

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Looks like AV was right. (Don't you just hate that )
    Don't worry... I won't gloat.

Much.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What does "fielded trade offers" mean. Does that mean people asked, and he said "okay... what are you offering," or does it mean people asked and he said "not interested." I'm guessing its the latter.

As for the Rams trading up to No. 4, I'm not buying it. If the Rams felt they needed to be at that spot to get the guy they want, they would have traded the No. 2 pick to Cleveland. To trade with Washington, only to trade back up to No. 4 makes no sense.

im pretty sure it just meant they received calls for his services, but they didn't discuss any trade packages because they had no intention on trading him.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

No point in trading with the Browns.

If we basically trade down just to trade back up and are using our picks we got from trading down as ammunition, we might as well have not traded down in the first place.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are foolish on both accounts. There would be no way I as a new GM or Head Coach, wouldn't at least listen to what teams may be offering, I don't care who the player is or how much I like him.

IMO, Bradford has a price with which he'd be on the first plane out of town, just like any other player in the NFL.

He, nor the fanbase may not like it, but the job of a GM or Head Coach having sayso in player personel is to look for ways to upgrade the team, and if someone offered the moon for Bradford, sobeit.

As for trading back up with the Browns, I am another who believes it would make no sense. I am however, all for trading back an accumulating more picks.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

One more smoke screen created!

It also lets other teams know that if they want the sixth pick bad enough give Snead and Fisher a call.

I wouldn't mind dropping down to Philly's fifteen pick and both of there second round picks. Eagles have alot of picks maybe they want to move down.