throwback week

Thread: Phil Loadholt

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Phil Loadholt

This kid is massive and I think he could be a force in he running game from the right tackle spot. Of course the only problem is his character concerns. I think we need to have a good long discussion with Loadholt, make sure his head is on straight and that he realizes drinking and driving can not be tolerated. I believe the big boy would fit in perfectly for what our offensive plans are.

From what I can tell he was arrested on [I]suspicion[I] of DUI and an open container, can anyone elaborate on that, because if he didn't really get a DUI is it really big enough deal to drop him off our board?

Also for you draftniks, is it likely we can get him in the third?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Phil Loadholt

I'm quite undecided on this one. The one fact I know is that he probably won't slip to the third round, but maybe into the late second. Should we use our second round pick on him? Maybe.

I agree the guy is massive, (Can he even FIT in a car?) but how he fare against speed rushers off the edge?

If we decide to get this guy in the second, it would free up our first round pick for your man crush.....
    But, we could also go tackle-tackle back to back, but I don't think that it would be the best benefit of the team to do so.

Note: If we do grab this guy, I want to also get Herman Johnson. Can you imagine that? Loadholt, 6-8, 335lbs, and Herman Johnson 6-7, 355lbs. Next to each other.

Scary.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    I'm not a draftnik but, IMO i would say no way. Character issues are more important then ever in the league. Were rebuilding and you do that successfully with high character guys, not knuckle heads. Let somebody else take a chance on him.
    I'm not certain on the logistics behind his " DUI ", but i'm pretty sure there was another incident also.
    If the Rams were concern about alleged character issues then Faulk would of NEVER been a Ram...

Always investigate and if the guy does not learn from his mistakes then yes I would avoid drafting him.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    If the Rams were concern about alleged character issues then Faulk would of NEVER been a Ram...

Always investigate and if the guy does not learn from his mistakes then yes I would avoid drafting him.
    It's a different staff from back then and one reason that they look into character issues is because it can affect the player's performance on the field. Faulk had just come off a season of 2,000 yards from scrimmage and was not a rookie whose life was going through a huge change from college to the pros.

I also don't get fans online judging a person's character that they don't even know anything about. Suspicion of a DUI and the disorderly conduct thing might raise some red flags but if you don't know the person I don't see how you can judge their character. Maybe he has matured and learned from these mistakes or maybe they're a good reason not to draft him. That's for Billy and Spags to decide on when they talk to him and I'm sure their decision will be the right one.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's what NFL Draft Scout has on his off the field issues...

2006: Was charged with disorderly conduct while attending Garden City Community College.

2008: Loadholt was arrested on Saturday, June 22, on suspicion of driving under the influence and transporting an open container of beer. According to Norman Police, Loadholt was taken into custody by Oklahoma Highway Patrol at 2:35 a.m. in the vicinity of Interstate 35 and West Main Street in Norman. Kevin Finlay of the Cleveland Country District Attorney's Office reportedly said DUI and open container misdemeanor charges had been filed. Finlay confirmed that if convicted, Loadholt could face a fine of up to $1,000 and a jail sentence of between 10 days and a year for the DUI, and a $500 fine and/or a six-month sentence for the open container charge. The 22-year-old starting left tackle appeared in Cleveland County Court on July 8. Sooner head coach Bob Stoops suspended Loadholt for the 2008 season opener vs. Chattanooga for his team rules violation.
    Here is a short article from last June from the Dallas Morning News as they reported the incident...

NORMAN, Okla. Oklahoma offensive lineman Phil Loadholt faces a July court hearing on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and transporting an open container.

Loadholt, the Sooners' 6-foot-8, 350-pound starting left tackle, was pulled over at 2:35 a.m. Saturday after a state trooper saw his white Chevy Impala cross the center line and run onto the shoulder on Interstate 35 in Norman, according to an affidavit filed inCleveland County District Court.

The trooper reported in his affidavit that Loadholt, 22, had a blood-alcohol content of 0.15 percent or nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent on two separate tests. The trooper's affidavit also indicated that open containers of Busch Light beer and malt liquor were on the center console ofLoadholt's car.

An attorney for Loadholt appeared in court Wednesday to enter an innocent plea on his client's behalf. His next court date was set for July 8. Loadholt was released on bond.

Loadholt started all 14 of the Sooners' games last season after transferring from Garden City (Kan.) Community College.
    I can't find anything regarding how his court appearance turned out, but two arrests means a big NO from me, and I can't help but wonder if this is a Rams regime that now feels one arrest results in a big NO from them. The fact that Loadholt has shown poor decision making off the field on two separate occasions suggests a pattern or trend in his behavior rather than one mistake that he may have learned from. Maybe he has turned the corner, but someone else can take the risk and find out.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the current regime though...?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Character issues asside, Loadholt isn't seen as a good candidate for an NFL LT. The initial quickness just isn't there to move that massive frame fast enough to stop the speed rushers he'd be up against. The Rams need a solid, effective player at LT and unless you think Barron is the answer, Loadholt just does not make a lot of sense, especially with the baggage.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I think Barron will be the LT of the Rams next year, and if he performs to my expectations, and beyond. However with Nick's second article, I will agree that our FO will probably and unfortunately stay away from Loadholt. We want hard working Chris Long types, not guys in trouble with the law. It's a shame, because he is the prototypical run blocking right tackle IMHO. Perhaps their is a chance our FO did some researching and it turns out he is back on the right track, but I'll concede and say it doesn't look like he'll be wearing horns.

Dominating D Guest

The point was about character. You and some other poster brought up current regime not me????

Warner4prez Guest

I'm not sure if a disorderly conduct charge from when you're 19 years old raises a real big flag. At least I don't feel it should. As for drunk driving, I'm not a fan.
    I think the fact remains though, we've got a starting LT on our roster and drafting a RT with the 2nd overall pick is not great game management. I've read plenty of quotes stating that Loadholt it a great kid and has a great desire to play football. What more could we ask for?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The point was about character. You and some other poster brought up current regime not me????
    My apologies, I think I understand what you were getting at now. Yes, a strict emphasis for character can cause teams to miss out on some very good players. But I guess that's the risk you take when you emphasize something like that. I'd rather the Rams emphasize character and miss out on some players than not emphasize it and end up like the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I'm not sure if a disorderly conduct charge from when you're 19 years old raises a real big flag. At least I don't feel it should. As for drunk driving, I'm not a fan.
    I think the fact remains though, we've got a starting LT on our roster and drafting a RT with the 2nd overall pick is not great game management. I've read plenty of quotes stating that Loadholt it a great kid and has a great desire to play football. What more could we ask for?
    Enough maturity and smarts to not get in trouble with the law twice in three years? The disorderly conduct charge might not have been as big of a deal if it wasn't followed by another poor decision. You start to wonder if this indicates a trend, one he could slip back into depending on the circumstances.

As for our roster, what we have right now is one starting caliber tackle whom most agree has underachieved and whose contract is up after this season. This person has been the starter at right tackle for four years now; he's only a starting LT now because we say he is.

If the Rams spend a first round pick on Smith or Monroe, they could easily move Barron back to the side he's already been playing at for years now.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd rather the Rams emphasize character and miss out on some players than not emphasize it and end up like the Bengals.
    Good point Nick. If that doesn't put the whole character thing in perspective, nothing will.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

So, what you're saying is you're glad that our QB does not call himself Marc Uno Zero.