Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Pick #14 Puts Rams in Perfect Trading Position

As of now, my "Plan A" for the first round of the draft remains the same. A.J. Green will be gone, but if either Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon (if he declares) is available, I think the Rams can fill their biggest need while also adhering to a BPA philosophy.

But what if Blackmon returns to OSU (seems to be leaning that way) and Jones is already gone?

"Plan B" may very well be a trade down for extra picks.

There are a couple of reasons why this would make sense.

First, unlike the last three years, when the Rams selected 2nd, 2nd and 1st, the 14th pick is an attractive trade target. It is high enough to obtain a potentially elite player (though perhaps not at a position the Rams might need, i.e. QB, OT), but low enough that it would not force a team to pay outrageous (i.e. Top 10) money to a rookie.

Second, if the Rams can't get one of the "Big 3" WRs, the next tier at that position will likely be rated as players who should go in the pick 25-50 range (i.e. Jonathan Baldwin, Leonard Hankerson, Greg Little).

Possible trade partners?

There's New England, which has their first pick (which will be between 29-32) and the first pick in the second round.

There's also Denver, which has the 4th and 14th picks of the second round.

Either of these teams could offer a package that would be fairly even under the "Trade Value Chart." In fact, any team willing to offer a late first round pick and a second round (perhaps enhanced by a "day 3" pick) could offer a reasonable package.

This will be new territory for Devaney and Co., as they have not made any major draft day trades.

This could be the year it happens.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Pick #14 Puts Rams in Perfect Trading Position

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Either of these teams could offer a package that would be fairly even under the "Trade Value Chart." In fact, any team willing to offer a late first round pick and a second round (perhaps enhanced by a "day 3" pick) could offer a reasonable package.
    I agree with your overall premise, but you don't see many draft-day trades that are swaps of Team A's first round pick for Team B's first and second round pick. Usually if those picks are involved, it's part of a larger package (Miami/SD last year; Browns/Jets year before). I think teams value those second round picks and are hesitant to part with them just to move up for one player in the first, unless it's a big move or part of a larger package where they're getting something else back as well.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree with your overall premise, but you don't see many draft-day trades that are swaps of Team A's first round pick for Team B's first and second round pick. Usually if those picks are involved, it's part of a larger package (Miami/SD last year; Browns/Jets year before). I think teams value those second round picks and are hesitant to part with them just to move up for one player in the first, unless it's a big move or part of a larger package where they're getting something else back as well.
    True enough, but all it takes is one desperate team. Ironically, Seattle could fit that mold. Right now, they have the 25th pick. That might be too late for a QB (which I think they need). If, say... Jake Locker were there at #14, would Seattle call the Rams? Would the Rams take the call?

The Denver scenario is intriguing to me. If the "Big 3" WRs are gone, the idea of having the 36th, 46th and 47th picks in the draft sounds pretty good to me, particularly given the recent 2nd round hits (Laurinaitis, Saffold).

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Definitely an intriguing possibility. I'd trade with Seattle only if they promise to pick Locker but in all seriousness, I trust this front office with their ability to scout and draft players.

The whole concept of trading down assumes (obviously) the player the Rams were targeting isn't there, like one of the big 3 WR's. IF the Rams can't land a target free agent WR, would that affect your feelings on trading down Avenger? Do you start looking to trade up instead?

Sorry if thats a bit off topic, just curious of your opinion since every mock assumes we don't get a FA WR, yet no one wants to go into next year without a new #1.

I'm not a big fan of the "trade up" option. Too costly.

As for the impact of signing a FA WR, if its a "Number 1" guy (i.e. Sidney Rice, Vincent Jackson), then I'd still take a WR in the draft, but perhaps not until Round 2 or 3. If not, there are still only 3 WRs I'd consider at #14 (Green, Jones, Blackmon).

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I say get as many 2nd round picks as you can get. We can use some more players like Saffold and JLau...

Go Rams

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Not to knit pick but i would take NE off that list since they also have the Raiders first round pick.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

lets trade our 14 pick for their 1st and 2nd ! i hope we draft like... Mike Pouncey and Jonathan Baldwin. then free agency pick up a elite Receiver

itsguud is offline Registered User

Wow.. I can't believe how excited draft talk is making me and its still Jan 12 and potentially a lockout year.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    Not to knit pick but i would take NE off that list since they also have the Raiders first round pick.
    So? How does that prevent them from trading up for the 14th pick if there is a player there they covet? Not saying it would happen, but it certainly is possible.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

With Blackmon out, i dont rate our chances of landing AJ or jones without treading up maybe to the #10 spot, trading up always costs more imo. But getting Aj Green, would you think it pays off 4 or 5 years down the track ... " WILY VETERAN PRO BOWLER Bradford wins 2nd superbowl MVP on the back of Greens sure hands" .... sounds pretty sweet.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If the "Big 3" WRs are gone, the idea of having the 36th, 46th and 47th picks in the draft sounds pretty good to me
    I'm not sure how I feel about that scenario, to be honest. Guess it depends on who is on the board. I just don't get the sense someone is going to be packaging their first and second round picks for the 14th overall pick, but that's what the build-up to the draft is for - debating all the different possible scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    With Blackmon out, i dont rate our chances of landing AJ or jones without treading up maybe to the #10 spot, trading up always costs more imo. But getting Aj Green, would you think it pays off 4 or 5 years down the track ... " WILY VETERAN PRO BOWLER Bradford wins 2nd superbowl MVP on the back of Greens sure hands" .... sounds pretty sweet.
    Try to #6 spot, at the latest (IMO). You could make a strong case for him for at least two if not three of the top six teams in the selection order. I doubt he gets by Cincy, but should the Bengals pass, I'd be floored if Cleveland did.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.

There's no reason to presume that Jones will be gone by the time the Rams make their selection. Last year, everyone thought Dez Bryant was going to be a top 10 pick. Then, after a lackluster offseason showing, he dropped into the 20s (and wasn't even the first WR taken).

Alec22 is offline Registered User

So? How does that prevent them from trading up for the 14th pick if there is a player there they covet? Not saying it would happen, but it certainly is possible.
    NE picks at #17 and around #30, and #33. Makes no sense for them to trade up three sports to #14, if thats the case we could look at every nfl team as an option of hypotheticals.

I dont think you will find any team that would trade its #1, and #2 pick for our #14 overall. It's always possible, but unrealisitc.

I agree with you, that I would love to trade down.

Getting someone like Pouncey around #23, along with our #2 pick (for ex OLB) plus 2 picks in the 3rd round (for ex. backup rb, and saftey), I think would really strengthen this team for years to come.

Would mean sticking with what we have at WR, (obvi signing clayton, and avery back at full health).

I just dont see us signing Rice or V-Jax, the only WR imo that would make any difference.

I mentioned this a week ago, and was subsequently killed for it, but I think that esp with blackmon gone and most likely jones and green as well, I think this helps out or team the most.

We could also use our #2 on a WR, say for ex. hankerson

Stud RG - Pouncey
    Hankerson
    rd 3 OLB
    rd3 RB/or saftey.

Also would mean some money to spend in FA on defense (OLB/DB)

Alec22 is offline Registered User

There's no reason to presume that Jones will be gone by the time the Rams make their selection. Last year, everyone thought Dez Bryant was going to be a top 10 pick. Then, after a lackluster offseason showing, he dropped into the 20s (and wasn't even the first WR taken).
    Dez also had huge character red flags and was suspended for the season. Julio has mainly just some drops.

Jones could certainly be there at #14, but even in this scenario I might prefer a trade down into the 20's if it meant adding a pick within the top #90.

That said, i dont know jones well enough to say I would or wouldnt want him specificily over a trade down, thankfully i have billy d and spags for that haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast