Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pick #14 Puts Rams in Perfect Trading Position

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    NE picks at #17 and around #30, and #33. Makes no sense for them to trade up three sports to #14, if thats the case we could look at every nfl team as an option of hypotheticals.
    Makes no sense? You clearly don't understand how the draft works. For example, look up how many spots the Rams traded up to get Steven Jackson.

Again, not saying it will happen (NE's has typically been more likely to trade down than up), but you never know.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Makes no sense? You clearly don't understand how the draft works. For example, look up how many spots the Rams traded up to get Steven Jackson.

Again, not saying it will happen (NE's has typically been more likely to trade down than up), but you never know.

How does me disagreeing with you translate to a statement I dont know how the draft works??

Yes teams trade up and down a couple spots every year. So NE could be an option at #17.

But like I said, if we're talking about that then "we could talk about any team in a world of hypotheticals"

The point was that no team is going to give up their 2nd round pick (Just like Nick pointed out - yet he does understand the draft?) for the #14 overall.

There is no chance NE would trade their #17 and #30 for the #14. Makes no sense.

Yes the Rams could trade down a couple of spots and accumulate draft picks, I agree with you as do most that would be their best move, but in that scenario the best they could hope for is a 3rd and maybe get them to throw in a 5th-6th.

That in no way means I dont understand how the draft works.

There is no chance NE would trade their #17 and #30 for the #14. Makes no sense.
    I never suggested they would do that. I suggested they could trade their #30 and #33 picks for #14.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There's no reason to presume that Jones will be gone by the time the Rams make their selection. Last year, everyone thought Dez Bryant was going to be a top 10 pick. Then, after a lackluster offseason showing, he dropped into the 20s (and wasn't even the first WR taken).
    Well, the Bryant situation was a little different, because he was a guy who had some pretty significant character red flags emerge during the process. It's not as if he just had a bad workout and slipped into the 20s.

I agree, though, that it doesn't make sense to automatically assume Jones won't be there. Having said that, it's certainly not helping the Rams that the WR options in the draft are thinning, and I liked the chances of Jones being there more last week when Blackmon and Floyd were still in play.

The point was that no team is going to give up their 2nd round pick (Just like Nick pointed out - yet he does understand the draft?) for the #14 overall.
    Just to clarify, I never said it absolutely couldn't happen. I just don't think it's likely to happen unless it's part of a larger package.

One thing that could impact Jones' draft position is the extent to which there is an early run on QBs.

Interestingly, that issue could be impacted by the collective bargaining negotiations. If no deal is reached, and FA is delayed until after the draft, teams in need of a QB might be more inclined to select one early in the draft. If the free agent market is active before the draft, some of the teams looking for a new QB will likely fill the need through FA or trades for veterans.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

A side from AJ Green not getting past the top 4 picks, which I asume we could all agree upon.
    I see 3 possible spots for Julio Jones before us.
    #6 CLE
    #8 Tenn
    #10 Wash.

I'd say it is 50/50 he falls to us.
    In this case I think there are a lot of teams in the market for Julio after us as there is (to date) presumed to be a significant drop-off from the top 2 Wr to the next tier.

Could the scenario come down to us ultimatly trading out of #14 to give up Julio and gain picks later on?

Just a thought, but I dont think think the rams will like any of the FA Wr's enough other than Rice who i dont see leaving Minn, to spend money on.
    If Julio is there, i say reluctantly take him, but I would not be surprised to see us trade down and let someone else draft him at #14

thoughts?

If he's there at #14, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

One thing that could impact Jones' draft position is the extent to which there is an early run on QBs.

Interestingly, that issue could be impacted by the collective bargaining negotiations. If no deal is reached, and FA is delayed until after the draft, teams in need of a QB might be more inclined to select one early in the draft. If the free agent market is active before the draft, some of the teams looking for a new QB will likely fill the need through FA or trades for veterans.
    In that case, we're hurt by the decisions of players such as Luck to stay in school.

Personally I think trading up isn't the worst idea in the world right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12