Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pick #16 Talent or need?

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Pick #16 Talent or need?

I see that most mock drafts are based on filling areas of need. This year seems to have an abundance of good D-linemen. The Rams seem pretty well set on the D-line but if a Damontre Moore or Star Lotulelei were to be available would you take one of them? Would it make a difference to you (as the imaginary GM) if the top three OT's and the top safety were off of the board. If a couple of QB's go before the Rams pick, there could be some pretty interesting talent at #16.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pick #16 Talent or need?

I think its a combination of need and talent.

Given the Rams' current roster, I see no reason to use a first round pick on a QB, RB (if Jackson returns), C (unless its a C/OG), DE or MLB. I would also only consider a DT or CB if the player available was viewed as head and shoulders above the other players still left on the board.

That leaves several positions (OG, OT, WR, TE, OLB, S) from which to select the BPA.
    Nick and mde8352gorams like this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I guess I need 10 characters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick #16 Talent or need?-whynotboth.jpg  

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think its a combination of need and talent.

Given the Rams' current roster, I see no reason to use a first round pick on a QB, RB (if Jackson returns), C (unless its a C/OG), DE or MLB. I would also only consider a DT or CB if the player available was viewed as head and shoulders above the other players still left on the board.

That leaves several positions (OG, OT, WR, TE, OLB, S) from which to select the BPA.
    Nailed it.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

There is no or, it's both and since this draft is deep interior linemen, WR, S and OLB we will be able to get talent and need.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    I see that most mock drafts are based on filling areas of need. This year seems to have an abundance of good D-linemen. The Rams seem pretty well set on the D-line but if a Damontre Moore or Star Lotulelei were to be available would you take one of them? Would it make a difference to you (as the imaginary GM) if the top three OT's and the top safety were off of the board. If a couple of QB's go before the Rams pick, there could be some pretty interesting talent at #16.
    Just for the record, there is about a 3% chance that Moore or Lotulelei are available at our pick.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Just for the record, there is about a 3% chance that Moore or Lotulelei are available at our pick.
    According to my Mel Kiper Super Decoder Ring, its actually 2.834%, but I presume you were rounding up.
    sosa39rams likes this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

That was kind of the point. If a real talent just happened to fall to the Rams and it isn't a QB or punter or something would you take them for depth and the future or are you just filling roster spots. I liked AV's answer except that I don't think that you can have too much talent at some positions like D-line and CB.

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    That was kind of the point. If a real talent just happened to fall to the Rams and it isn't a QB or punter or something would you take them for depth and the future or are you just filling roster spots. I liked AV's answer except that I don't think that you can have too much talent at some positions like D-line and CB.
    Alright. And yeah, I would take someone (depends) that I dont really need. I think BPA is how to build a team. If Moore, Jarvis Jones, Werner, or even Joeckel/Fisher fell to me, I'd take em in a heartbeat. Would I take Dee Milliner? Nope. Depends on how good the player is, how deep and what the position is.
    fearsome foursome likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Alright. And yeah, I would take someone (depends) that I dont really need. I think BPA is how to build a team. If Moore, Jarvis Jones, Werner, or even Joeckel/Fisher fell to me, I'd take em in a heartbeat. Would I take Dee Milliner? Nope. Depends on how good the player is, how deep and what the position is.
    Idk, a Jenkins-Milliner duo does sound pretty tempting, especially with Cortland Finnegan playing so well as our nickel CB. With two potential lock-down corners and a defense that can generate pressure using only its front four, the Rams would be a tough team to score on.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

16: OL, 22: S
    or
    16: S, 22: OL

fill the holes in our roster this year. go for talent next year
    Last edited by SportsDude; -02-05-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Idk, a Jenkins-Milliner duo does sound pretty tempting, especially with Cortland Finnegan playing so well as our nickel CB. With two potential lock-down corners and a defense that can generate pressure using only its front four, the Rams would be a tough team to score on.
    I'm not high on Milliner. I think he'll be over-drafted due to 1) his size, and 2) the lack of CB's in this draft. I'd MUCH rather wait for a guy like Desmond Trufant in the late 1st/2nd or even a Jordan Poyer a bit later.

I think when we look back in a few years, Trufant will establish himself as the #1 CB from this draft.

THE DREAM TEAM

I like Milliner a lot as a prospect. The thought has occurred to me that, if a CB is the top player on the board when we make our first round selections, perhaps Cortland Finnegan might consider moving to FS. He is already playing most snaps in the middle of the field, so it might be an easy transition for him.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

From what I've read Milliner is a bit overrated but perhaps because the draft isn't as deep at CB he's being pushed up. He played in a great program so he should be disciplined.

Go Rams!

thoey is offline Registered User

I don't remember seeing anything last year that would lead me to want to pull Cortland off the field for certain plays. Now, unless we plan to run the nickle all the time, he'd either have to change positions or this new rookie better be MUCH better than he is...
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast