Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pick #16 Talent or need?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pick #16 Talent or need?

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    I don't remember seeing anything last year that would lead me to want to pull Cortland off the field for certain plays. Now, unless we plan to run the nickle all the time, he'd either have to change positions or this new rookie better be MUCH better than he is...
    Who said anything about taking Cortland off the field?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Who said anything about taking Cortland off the field?
    In a 4-3 base defense, there's only 2 corners and 2 safety's; with Jenkins & Milliner playing corner full-time, that means that Finnegan would either have to convert to safety or play as our nickel CB on passing downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    In a 4-3 base defense, there's only 2 corners and 2 safety's; with Jenkins & Milliner playing corner full-time, that means that Finnegan would either have to convert to safety or play as our nickel CB on passing downs.
    That's why (if you actually read my post) I suggested that he might be willing to play FS.

That's why (if you actually read my post) I suggested that he might be willing to play FS.
    Well if you had read Thoey's original comment, he wasn't disagreeing with you, just like I'm not. He was just saying that unless Finnegan wants to sit on the bench and only play in our nickel package, he'd have to convert to free safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Well if you had read Thoey's original comment, he wasn't disagreeing with you, just like I'm not. He was just saying that unless Finnegan wants to sit on the bench and only play in our nickel package, he'd have to convert to free safety.
    So the two of you wish to discuss why something that I never suggested would be a bad idea?

What do you want to discuss next... why Cortland Finnegan shouldn't play OT?

So the two of you wish to discuss why something that I never suggested would be a bad idea?

What do you want to discuss next... why Cortland Finnegan shouldn't play OT?
    Give it a break guy, no one was responding to your post. I was just saying that unless Milliner is a huge upgrade over Finnegan, I'd pass on drafting him and keep things the same. Now if Milliner dazzles at the combine and is available at 16, I like your idea of having Finnegan play some free safety. Look back at your original post, I actually gave it a like.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

First off, "base" defenses using only four secondary players is becoming more rare as the league embraces the spread offense with three WR sets, four WR sets, TE's split wide or in the slot, etc.

That is why I've felt that getting a Sam linebacker is one of our lowest priorities, though we do need a good 3rd LB for general use backing up Dunbar and Laurinaitis.

To take that 3rd LB's place, defenses have been playing nickel and strong nickel(2 CB, 3 S) defenses as their base package if only because they need to use it so often based on the offensive personnel. As such, I wouldn't at all be opposed to Millner if he dropped, and even more so if Cortland would be willing to play FS/Slot Safety/Back.

Now, our division is a bit more run oriented than the league as a whole, so we play more base 4-3 packages, but to combat the running threats of Kapernick and Wilson, getting more speed on the field through more safeties wouldn't be bad by any means.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    I believe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12