Re: Pick three players in 2013

Free Agent:
    Randy Starks

Picks
    Taylor Lewan
    Justin Hunter

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Pick three players in 2013

So much for the run D being an issue! That whole defense played lights out tonight.

I'd love to pick up Jake Long, get Reid (S) and Allen (WR) in the draft (or defer to best OLB)

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    So much for the run D being an issue! That whole defense played lights out tonight.

I'd love to pick up Jake Long, get Reid (S) and Allen (WR) in the draft (or defer to best OLB)
    Dont get excited about the run D. Arizona has had problems running all year, and Quinn is a liability on the run.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Draft - Keenan Allen and the BOLA (one of the A&M guys, or one of the 'Bama guys)

FA - I want to say Jake Long, but I assume the fins will throw out all stops to bring him back. So I will go with the Texans' Duane Brown, as they are going to have to spend big dollars to keep Schaub in house.

But HUb, that's 2 OTs you've picked up there. Isn't that overkill?

Maybe we should ask our starting OTs, Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson........you know, the OT dynamic duo. Or rather let's ask Sam Bradford who keeps getting up close and personal with opposing defenders.
    The Texans signed Duane Brown to a big contract not too long ago.

THE DREAM TEAM

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Pick three players in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Dont get excited about the run D. Arizona has had problems running all year, and Quinn is a liability on the run.
    Oh I hear you man, it's definitely something they need to work on, but they did their job against Arizona. Whether they are bad at the run or not, we literally phased that entire part of the offense out of their gameplan. To me that's progress.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The Texans signed Duane Brown to a big contract not too long ago.
    Without checking with me first?! How dare they?!
    Rambos and ManofGod like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Well since no here has said these names all go ahead and do it:

Free Agent: Brian Urlacher LB

Analysis: i now im going to draw heat that J-lau is our MLB but Urlacher can play even at his age...He covers TEs well and makes tackles all over the field...Just think about having 2 J-lau on the field at one time...This team is winning with a strong defense lets build on that by killing (not just stopping) the run.

Draft:

Chance Warmack G, Alabama

Ananysis: I dont care about what anyone says about drafting a guard in the top 10 (redskins pick)...If I was the GM and i think my biggest weakness is interior line and Warmack would solidify my biggest weakness im taking him because i think he imporves the team most...Like the Blackmon is not a fitz or megatron debate last year i think this whole early pick position value thing is BS...U take the person that u feel will help ur team most

Marcus Lattimore RB, South Carolina

I know we took Pead in the 2nd but as of now he hasnt done anything for us not draft a top flight RB...The NFC West is a running division...If jax does depart (I hope not) we need to replace him and fish has no problem taking a RB in the first like he did with CJ0K; lendale white was a 1000 yard rusher the season before...DOnt worry guy the WR will come via 2nd round pick trade (hoping for andre johnson or someone)

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've got to say, I don't really understand this one myself, and I see more than a few Rams fans talking Star up. I just don't see the Rams pushing Brockers or Langford out of the starting line-up so quickly after one season, and that's what another first round defensive tackle does, IMO.

As for my choices...

Free Agent: Louis Delmas (S, Detroit)
    -Delmas could be a contender for the franchise tag in Detroit, but he's had success under Schwartz, who coached under Fisher, so the transition may not be that large. He certainly fills an area of need, and at his age if he checks out healthy, could be a Ram for a while. Everyone the Rams are counting on now at the position - Mikell, Stewart, and Dahl - are holdovers from the Spags regime and really haven't done much to show that they're locked into their job. There's a reason the LSU safety is projected often to the Rams in mock drafts at this stage of the game.

Draft: Keenan Allen (WR, Cal) and Luke Joeckel (OT, Texas A&M)
    -It was tempting to go with a free agent receiver and add a veteran presence to a young group. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I went this direction. The top receiver varies depending on whom you talk to, but I'm going with Allen at the moment. As for Joeckel, we need offensive line help, and the two guys projected to start for the Rams this season are not starting, due to injury and not being with the team anymore respectively. Unless Saffold blazes back to outstanding play this season, I think we have to at least investigate some alternatives.
    Well to answer your question, the reason so many experts are throwing Star's name out there is b/c of Fishers desire to have a tough, hard nosed DT & the fact that the CBA is friendlier now. What we have currently is an unproven rookie DT who has potential, but plays the run much better than the pass. Consequently he may never become a stellar pass rusher. Next we have a solid DT, but not a spectacular DT, who plays the pass better than the run (which is obvious if you study game film, teams run at him). In star you have a DT that plays both the run & pass excellently. He projects to be the next Ngata (which is saying a great deal). As we've seen with other teams (ex. the Giants), you can draft multiple DE's and DT's and have success.

At this stage of the game, our biggest needs are OT, G, OLB, S, DT, RB(which could change, depending on S. Jackson situation).

Now with that being said my picks are:

Free agent:
    Dwayne Bowe, WR Chiefs
    *This guy is consistent, demands double teams from the opposing defense, and is a proven vet, with so many young receivers already on the team, I am not sure that we need to draft Allen & bring him into the mix. This guy can do what our other WR's can't which is get constant separation & make spectacular catches seemingly at will.

Draft:
    Eric Reid, FS, LSU
    *Game changing safeties as we all know are rare & can set your defense up for success for years to come (ex. Ed Reed). This Reid is special as well, and can substantiate our defense for a long time.

Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    *I would love to go B. Jones (C, G, OT) from Alabama here, but guards don't make sense high in the draft as tackles are valued more. In addition, I'm not sure that Jones could play OT in the NFL. This gives us the ability to move Saffold to RT. Joeckel has experience dealing with fast, powerful speed rushers & has more than held his own.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Well since no here has said these names all go ahead and do it:

Free Agent: Brian Urlacher LB

Analysis: i now im going to draw heat that J-lau is our MLB but Urlacher can play even at his age...He covers TEs well and makes tackles all over the field...Just think about having 2 J-lau on the field at one time...This team is winning with a strong defense lets build on that by killing (not just stopping) the run.

Draft:

Chance Warmack G, Alabama

Ananysis: I dont care about what anyone says about drafting a guard in the top 10 (redskins pick)...If I was the GM and i think my biggest weakness is interior line and Warmack would solidify my biggest weakness im taking him because i think he imporves the team most...Like the Blackmon is not a fitz or megatron debate last year i think this whole early pick position value thing is BS...U take the person that u feel will help ur team most

Marcus Lattimore RB, South Carolina

I know we took Pead in the 2nd but as of now he hasnt done anything for us not draft a top flight RB...The NFC West is a running division...If jax does depart (I hope not) we need to replace him and fish has no problem taking a RB in the first like he did with CJ0K; lendale white was a 1000 yard rusher the season before...DOnt worry guy the WR will come via 2nd round pick trade (hoping for andre johnson or someone)
    lol at the Texans trading us Andre Johnson for a 2nd round pick.

Also Lattimore is likely the first rb off the board but doesn't project to be anything more than a late firs rounder. With both our picks likely in the upper 15 we would be way overdrafting if we pick a running back.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think a RB is a definite possibility if Jackson departs, but right now I agree that the crop looks a bit on the weak side. Perhaps it would be a Round 2-3 target as the Rams move to more of a "RB by Committee" approach.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-05-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Well to answer your question, the reason so many experts are throwing Star's name out there is b/c of Fishers desire to have a tough, hard nosed DT & the fact that the CBA is friendlier now. What we have currently is an unproven rookie DT who has potential, but plays the run much better than the pass. Consequently he may never become a stellar pass rusher. Next we have a solid DT, but not a spectacular DT, who plays the pass better than the run (which is obvious if you study game film, teams run at him). In star you have a DT that plays both the run & pass excellently. He projects to be the next Ngata (which is saying a great deal). As we've seen with other teams (ex. the Giants), you can draft multiple DE's and DT's and have success.
    I've not read any "experts" matching Star and the Rams up. Maybe you could link to some of those comments.

As for the Giants, they are irrelevant to the discussion. Big difference between spending multiple first round picks on pass rushers and multiple first round picks on defensive tackles. A better example would be the Lions, but as they're still waiting on Nick Fairley to show up, they don't really help the argument IMO.

Furthermore, I think you're underselling Brockers and Langford quite a bit. We're five games into the season; we've barely seen Brockers and we didn't give Langford $12 million in guarantees to make him a situational guy after one season, even if you think our return hasn't been as great as we've expected.

Look, the guy is an absolute stud. But unless you're in a position where Star is overwhelmingly the best player on the board (certainly possible) and you're receiving no trade offers (unlikely, given this regime's first draft), then I don't think projecting him to the Rams makes much sense at this point in the process due to the existing personnel.

Maybe that changes by season's end if the defense falters, Langford becomes an actual liability, or Brockers underwhelms. But without a glaring hole there and considering the play of the defensive unit as a whole, it's a tough projection to make, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    lol at the Texans trading us Andre Johnson for a 2nd round pick.

Also Lattimore is likely the first rb off the board but doesn't project to be anything more than a late firs rounder. With both our picks likely in the upper 15 we would be way overdrafting if we pick a running back.
    Just a hope about Johnson its unlikely but if for any reason what so ever they need money to sign other positions and see johnson declining

OMGGGG...i cannot stand this value system!!!!! at all

I dont understand how a RB is not a top 15 pick or even lattimore for that matter...Please tell me the difference of "an upper top 15 pick" and a "late first rounder" what is it like 5 or 10 picks later...I understand if the graded value is like 2 or 3 rounds off but 5-10 picks later u do know those 5-10 picks later can be traded for?

Idk how many times i gotta say but u just gotta take the guy that is going to make your team winn

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think a RB is a definite possibility if Jackson departs, but right now I agree that the crop looks a bit on the weak side. Perhaps it would be a Round 2-3 target as the Rams move to more of a "RB by Committee" approach.
    I feel like the "RB by committe" will just come back to haunt us...This team is building well defensively but fishers teams in the past have shined when he has good contributions in the run game...even shotty last year the Jets running attack was awful which drove him out of town...

THe division we play in is a huge factor as well...good defenses that can cover and get to the QB we cannot have a weak RB unit whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I feel like the "RB by committe" will just come back to haunt us...This team is building well defensively but fishers teams in the past have shined when he has good contributions in the run game...even shotty last year the Jets running attack was awful which drove him out of town...

THe division we play in is a huge factor as well...good defenses that can cover and get to the QB we cannot have a weak RB unit whatsoever
    Say it to the two teams in the SB last year... Giants were dead last in rushing yards, and Patriots in 2nd last. So whatever point your trying to make here, doesn't really make sense.

THE DREAM TEAM

Here are my 3:

Free Agent:

1 - Ryan Clady(LT Broncos), Jake Long (LT Dolphins), Brandon Albert (LT Chiefs)

Draft:

1 - Barrett Jones (OT/OG/C - I'd prefer him at LG)
    2 - Tyler Eifert (TE - only if he cuts his damn hair )

Wanted to switch it up. This will definitely change as the season goes on, but it looks cool for now. I still definitely think we could use a #1 WR though.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast