Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pick three players in 2013

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Re: Pick three players in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    OK after watching games this Sat... I will go in a new direction.

Free agent
    Greg Jennings WR from Packers

Draft
    Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
    Eric Reid FS LSU

This could make our defense one of the best...
    I would love to have that dominant top 3 defense, don't get me wrong. I just feel that if the options are 1 free agent and 2 1st round picks, its hard for me to not pick an O-lineman in the draft or free agency. I just feel before we add to our already very good defense we need to address our weakest positions and fix them first. O-line and WR. You chose Greg Jennings in free agency and I'm totally fine with that pick up. I just think if that's the free agent choice then at least one of the draft picks has to be an O-lineman. Our O-line hasn't been that great to begin with and has been injury plagued.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Still looking like week in and week out offensive line, safeties and receivers are our biggest weaknesses.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2834 View Post
    I would love to have that dominant top 3 defense, don't get me wrong. I just feel that if the options are 1 free agent and 2 1st round picks, its hard for me to not pick an O-lineman in the draft or free agency. I just feel before we add to our already very good defense we need to address our weakest positions and fix them first. O-line and WR. You chose Greg Jennings in free agency and I'm totally fine with that pick up. I just think if that's the free agent choice then at least one of the draft picks has to be an O-lineman. Our O-line hasn't been that great to begin with and has been injury plagued.
    We have:

Wells
    Turner
    Saffold
    Roc
    Dahl

Lets see where our O line is in the second half of the season after the bye week. We will have all of our starters back except at LG. Slide Turner into the guard spot and lets see how they look. We have not had our O line play together all year. I want to see what that looks like before I panic.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

We have:

Wells
    Turner
    Saffold
    Roc
    Dahl

Lets see where our O line is in the second half of the season after the bye week. We will have all of our starters back except at LG. Slide Turner into the guard spot and lets see how they look. We have not had our O line play together all year. I want to see what that looks like before I panic.
    What are you going to see? Saffold get injured again for the third time in 2 years? Rokevious Watkins come into the season as an overweight mediocre run blocker and horrendous pass blocker? This offensive line is the achilles heel for anything we plan to do next year. We want to run? Go get a real LG or RT.

Im sick of spending all these picks on lineman, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd like to see 1 WR thru FA (1st tier player), if we can land a solid LT I'd do that too, and then you can draft a LG (Barrett Jones) and anything else.

I hope one of the 3 premier LT's that are all FA's this year actually hit the market (Brandon Albert, Ryan Clady, Jake Long), because if they do, we should go HARD for them. We've got lots of cap space, you place the guy at LT and move Saffold over to RT. Then our only hole is LG, which we could roll with, or go fill that in too.
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    What are you going to see? Saffold get injured again for the third time in 2 years?
    I'm not going to write off Saffold but I guess you have, well see about that one.

Rokevious Watkins come into the season as an overweight mediocre run blocker and horrendous pass blocker?
    Roc made a mistake he worked hard and got to start a game... but I have Turner as the starting guard. Once Wells gets back after the bye week he will move to LG. Turner has played well...

This offensive line is the achilles heel for anything we plan to do next year. We want to run? Go get a real LG or RT.
    So you don't think we can find a starting LG and or OT in the second, third round of the draft?

Im sick of spending all these picks on lineman, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd like to see 1 WR thru FA (1st tier player), if we can land a solid LT I'd do that too, and then you can draft a LG (Barrett Jones) and anything else.
    That may be a way to go.

I hope one of the 3 premier LT's that are all FA's this year actually hit the market (Brandon Albert, Ryan Clady, Jake Long), because if they do, we should go HARD for them. We've got lots of cap space, you place the guy at LT and move Saffold over to RT. Then our only hole is LG, which we could roll with, or go fill that in too.
    Why would you move Saffold when you stated he is doomed to get hurt again... you lost me...
    What are you going to see? Saffold get injured again for the third time in 2 years?
    Do you think he is not as likely to get hurt at RT?

This thread is about many ways to go forward there is no right our wrong way. We will see what the FO does. That being said Fisher does not used high draft picks on linemen.

Here is what has changed for me... If you go back to last year I was saying fix the O line, draft Kalil at two.

We have added new players to this O line but injuries have kept the starters off the field. Before I want to spend a first round pick on the O line, I want to see what an O line that consist of:

Wells
    Turner
    Saffold
    Dahl
    Hunter
    Richardson

I want to see what they can do.

Caoch Boudreau has taken two of the worst OT's and the worst LG in the NFL and has done a great job period! We ran all over the Fins on Sunday like no one has done all year.

What this tells me, is when he gets his starters back he will get these guys playing at a high level. At the end of the year maybe we need one or two new linemen, we don't know yet as we have not seen them play.

Bottom line I want to fix the O line like all of us. I'm not as worried about it having this coaching staff, they actually can coach and developed talent. They will get it done.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not going to write off Saffold but I guess you have, well see about that one.

Roc made a mistake he worked hard and got to start a game... but I have Turner as the starting guard. Once Wells gets back after the bye week he will move to LG. Turner has played well...

So you don't think we can find a starting LG and or OT in the second, third round of the draft?

That may be a way to go.

Why would you move Saffold when you stated he is doomed to get hurt again... you lost me...

Do you think he is not as likely to get hurt at RT?

This thread is about many ways to go forward there is no right our wrong way. We will see what the FO does. That being said Fisher does not used high draft picks on linemen.

Here is what has changed for me... If you go back to last year I was saying fix the O line, draft Kalil at two.

We have added new players to this O line but injuries have kept the starters off the field. Before I want to spend a first round pick on the O line, I want to see what an O line that consist of:

Wells
    Turner
    Saffold
    Dahl
    Hunter
    Richardson

I want to see what they can do.

Caoch Boudreau has taken two of the worst OT's and the worst LG in the NFL and has done a great job period! We ran all over the Fins on Sunday like no one has done all year.

What this tells me, is when he gets his starters back he will get these guys playing at a high level. At the end of the year maybe we need one or two new linemen, we don't know yet as we have not seen them play.

Bottom line I want to fix the O line like all of us. I'm not as worried about it having this coaching staff, they actually can coach and developed talent. They will get it done.
    I wasn't saying Saffold was doomed to get hurt.. It was an analogy. Its a pretty serious deal when you are banking on your LT to stay healthy. You can't have to "ride" on him to be healthy. I think it was a freak accident, and definitely could have been avoided, but I prefer Saffold to stay healthy obviously. I wouldn't be mad with him being the LT next year because he has shown some good stuff, but I would definitely like it if we would go after a premier LT in FA.

I still think we need a #1 WR too. I'd prefer to snag one in FA (Jennings, Bowe, Wallace). Then we grab an LT in FA too, some back-up players, and in the draft we can take a combo of OG, S, OLB, or even TE.

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Te'o plays ILB in the 3-4 at Notre Dame and he doesn't have OLB type speed. Highly unlikely a team drafts him to play OLB. JMO.

Rams will likely go forward with a committee approach at RB like most teams are doing. Richardson is a premier prospect, they'll match him with Pead and maybe a Chris Thompson (Florida State) 3rd down back prospect in the 5th round. Speed Speed Speed.

Back to the OP
    veteran = Dwayne Bowe (I'd doubt the Packers let Jennings walk, KC is struggling with resigning Bowe)
    Draft = I have no idea who will be available. I hope the Rams get the best talent available regardless of position.

Saffold may end up moving to LG next season. He struggled a little in preseason, guard was always slated as his dominant position. If you could draft a LT or get one in free agency, do it. You can use some stop gaps at RT but Barrett Jones would be a very nice option via the draft.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Te'o plays ILB in the 3-4 at Notre Dame and he doesn't have OLB type speed. Highly unlikely a team drafts him to play OLB. JMO.

Rams will likely go forward with a committee approach at RB like most teams are doing. Richardson is a premier prospect, they'll match him with Pead and maybe a Chris Thompson (Florida State) 3rd down back prospect in the 5th round. Speed Speed Speed.

Back to the OP
    veteran = Dwayne Bowe (I'd doubt the Packers let Jennings walk, KC is struggling with resigning Bowe)
    Draft = I have no idea who will be available. I hope the Rams get the best talent available regardless of position.

Saffold may end up moving to LG next season. He struggled a little in preseason, guard was always slated as his dominant position. If you could draft a LT or get one in free agency, do it. You can use some stop gaps at RT but Barrett Jones would be a very nice option via the draft.
    I disagree on Te'o

Jennings , Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji needing new deals... they are deep at WR... they had 6 TD last night and he is out with a hamstring.

Greg Jennings’s agent probably wasn’t thrilled about the performance of the Green Bay Packers offense without his star client in Week 6 against the Houston Texans. He likely lost a lot of leverage from a statistical standpoint.

Aaron Rodgers and company lit up the Texans defense to the tune of six aerial touchdowns and no interceptions.
    Jennings was not on the field.

Houston’s defense is respected across the league, but the Packers offense essentially toyed with it, sending three different pass-catchers into the end zone. That number includes James Jones’s third straight outing with two touchdown receptions.

Second-year wide receiver Randall Cobb has also been doing his part to make the Packers offense hum. He didn’t record a touchdown catch like Jones, Jordy Nelson and Tom Crabtree on Sunday night, but he did come up with seven catches and his first career 100-yard game.

Nelson was the one who cashed in the points for the Pack. He brought in nine balls for 121 yards and three touchdowns, leading the team in each category.

All of these things took place with the requisite drops from Jermichael Finley and no running game to speak of.

Running back Alex Green had 65 rushing yards, but it took him 22 carries to do it.

Rodgers himself had the longest run on the night for Green Bay.

If Green Bay’s offense continues to produce nights like this with Jennings on the shelf, he’ll likely be allowed to walk in the offseason if he finds himself too far apart from the team in contract negotiations.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Just to be different I'll give another name to look out for in free agency although I think he'll probably reach an extension before then:

G Andy Levitre

Started over 50 consecutive games since coming into the league and the Bills have one of the better running attacks. I don't think he'd command the price tag of the other O line free agents as well.

If he is locked up I wouldn't mind another run at Jason Jones who may look elsewhere for more playing time next year.

Draft
    I don't (can't) watch college football so I'll just have to go with what I read in mock drafts and on this board:
    WR Keenan Allen
    OT Luke Joeckel
    Rambos likes this.

I have thought about this a lot and taken many things into consideration. I believe we will most likely be able to sign 2 big free agents considering our cap space, but sticking with the theme of the thread I will choose one.

Free Agent: Dwayne Bowe WR Kansas City Chiefs. Young, big body guy that has been very productive and could be a #1 for us for the next 4-5 years. I chose a WR for free agency because as others have stated, WR's typically take longer to develop and we need immediate impact.

2013 Draft

Pick #1: Luke Joeckel LT Texas A & M. He has been talked about a lot and I am currently watching him manhandle LSU, including one of the drafts top players in DE Sam Montgomery from LSU. Arguably the best LT in the draft. Plays in the best conference in College ball and dominates.

Pick #2: Chance Warmack G Alabama. Arguably the best guard in college. Plug him in at LG and he would be an immediate impact.

Analysis: As I said before, I chose to upgrade the line in the draft and receiver in FA because of the fact WR's take longer to develop, where offensive lineman in the first round can typically play well right away. This should shore up bothe the receiving corps as well as the O-Line. I believe there is probably a decent safety in the 2nd round as well as an OLB we can groom in the 3rd round.

LT- Luke Joeckel LG- Chance Warmack C-Scott Wells RG- Harvey Dahl RT- Rodger Saffold

WR1- Dwayne Bowe WR2- Brian Quick (hopefully) Slot- Danny Amendola Deep threat- Chris Givens

3rd down Possesion- Austin Pettis. We could also re-sign Brandon Gibson for depth.

I Like It! This should give us a pretty complete team and just think, we still have 2 more 1st rounders in 2014!
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2834 View Post
    I have thought about this a lot and taken many things into consideration. I believe we will most likely be able to sign 2 big free agents considering our cap space, but sticking with the theme of the thread I will choose one.

Free Agent: Dwayne Bowe WR Kansas City Chiefs. Young, big body guy that has been very productive and could be a #1 for us for the next 4-5 years. I chose a WR for free agency because as others have stated, WR's typically take longer to develop and we need immediate impact.

2013 Draft

Pick #1: Luke Joeckel LT Texas A & M. He has been talked about a lot and I am currently watching him manhandle LSU, including one of the drafts top players in DE Sam Montgomery from LSU. Arguably the best LT in the draft. Plays in the best conference in College ball and dominates.

Pick #2: Chance Warmack G Alabama. Arguably the best guard in college. Plug him in at LG and he would be an immediate impact.

Analysis: As I said before, I chose to upgrade the line in the draft and receiver in FA because of the fact WR's take longer to develop, where offensive lineman in the first round can typically play well right away. This should shore up bothe the receiving corps as well as the O-Line. I believe there is probably a decent safety in the 2nd round as well as an OLB we can groom in the 3rd round.

LT- Luke Joeckel LG- Chance Warmack C-Scott Wells RG- Harvey Dahl RT- Rodger Saffold

WR1- Dwayne Bowe WR2- Brian Quick (hopefully) Slot- Danny Amendola Deep threat- Chris Givens

3rd down Possesion- Austin Pettis. We could also re-sign Brandon Gibson for depth.

I Like It! This should give us a pretty complete team and just think, we still have 2 more 1st rounders in 2014!
    If this happened I would not complain about it. The way this staff has coached up Hunter and Richardson, I want to see what they can do with better talent.
    After the bye week lets evaluate the O line.

I want to see what Saffold looks like at RT and can he stay healthy the rest of the way. Barksdale at LT can he be the answer long term. Before we spend a number one draft pick on the O line next year, lets get a good look at what we have. We also can play Turner at LG he has played very well at center. We also have Shelley to look at.

LT Barksdale
    LG Shelley / Turner
    C Wells
    RG Dahl
    RT Saffold

Spending a high draft pick on Luke Joeckel works for me, not sure I would spend another one on a guard. I would prefer safety. We play the Pats this weekend and have yet to play the whiners. Both these teams will expose our safety play IMO.

I do agree whatever it takes to fix the O line is the best way to go.
    Just fix it.

If this happened I would not complain about it. The way this staff has coached up Hunter and Richardson, I want to see what they can do with better talent.
    After the bye week lets evaluate the O line.

I want to see what Saffold looks like at RT and can he stay healthy the rest of the way. Barksdale at LT can he be the answer long term. Before we spend a number one draft pick on the O line next year, lets get a good look at what we have. We also can play Turner at LG he has played very well at center. We also have Shelley to look at.

LT Barksdale
    LG Shelley / Turner
    C Wells
    RG Dahl
    RT Saffold

Spending a high draft pick on Luke Joeckel works for me, not sure I would spend another one on a guard. I would prefer safety. We play the Pats this weekend and have yet to play the whiners. Both these teams will expose our safety play IMO.

I do agree whatever it takes to fix the O line is the best way to go.
    Just fix it.
    I definitely hear you on the safety play. Wouldn't mind using one of the first rounders on Eric Reid. Two first round O-Line players probably does sound a bit extreme, I guess I am just anxious because of our history the last few years of not only having a line that isn't that great to begin with, but being so injury plagued. I want not only a great line, but depth! Like you said, we will see how things go and how bad of a need it is after we have a season under our belt.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

TRADE for Dwayne Bowe (3rd or 4th rounder) and then resign him

FA Sign a stud OL, either Jake Long or Duane Brown (preferably Brown since he'll be a bit cheaper)

RESIGN Danny Amendola to a reasonable contract

DRAFT The way both the Rams and Redskins are playing I'm pretty sure that both our picks will be in the top 10, so I'd try to trade down with one of our picks and use the other on the best available position of need. If we don't trade down, my two picks would go as follows:

Manti T'eo from Notre Dame: Even though he's not exactly an OLB, he's so darn good that I'm sure
    he can excel at that position. He just seems to always be around the ball, and he'd strengthen both our rush and pass defense.

Eric Reid from LSU: He hasn't really played as well as I'd hope but he's still the best available safety and would be the athletic playmaker our secondary desperately needs.

Darkhouse pick - Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame: He's tall, runs great routes, and has excellent hands. With him and Lance Kendricks, it gives the Rams the chance to run more 2-TE sets and would also improve our running game.
    Last edited by Vinnie25; -10-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    TRADE for Dwayne Bowe (3rd or 4th rounder) and then resign him

FA Sign a stud OL, either Jake Long or Duane Brown (preferably Brown since he'll be a bit cheaper)

RESIGN Danny Amendola to a reasonable contract

DRAFT The way both the Rams and Redskins are playing I'm pretty sure that both our picks will be in the top 10, so I'd try to trade down with one of our picks and use the other on the best available position of need. If we don't trade down, my two picks would go as follows:

Manti T'eo from Notre Dame: Even though he's not exactly an OLB, he's so darn good that I'm sure
    he can excel at that position. He just seems to always be around the ball, and he'd strengthen both our rush and pass defense.

Eric Reid from LSU: He hasn't really played as well as I'd hope but he's still the best available safety and would be the athletic playmaker our secondary desperately needs.

Darkhouse pick - Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame: He's tall, runs great routes, and has excellent hands. With him and Lance Kendricks, it gives the Rams the chance to run more 2-TE sets and would also improve our running game.
    Trying to slip that extra pick in there nice!

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Luke Joeckel (OT, Texas A&M)
    Chance Warmack (OG Alabama)

Mike Wallace WR
    Resign Amendola and have him play slot with Givens as the #2

Then in the 2nd i would pick
    Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia 1st round talent with some baggage.
    Last edited by lostsoul; -10-29-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast