ramhard is offline Registered User

Pickett's Price is reasonably set now with signings

Trevor Price's and Kampman DE deals of 5 years at $25M, coupled with DT Clancy's (39 tackles and 2 sacks) 4 year $8.1 deal with $3.5M in the first year has put some bounds on what Pickett will get. DT are not as valuable as DE, so he will get less than $5M per, but he will get at least the $4M per figure. I'm guessing something that averages around $4.25M per year.

I predict a 5 yr $21M deal with $9M in guarantees... wanna pay that?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Pickett's Price is reasonably set now with signings

i would, but i would have done it before we signed glover. i think that pickett is better. I also dont think de's are more valuable than dt's. stopping the run is critical to success and that starts with the dts.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Sack bring premium

GS, in the overall scheme of things you might be right, but sacks get a premium, and I'm talking about what the market is for the positions.. let's go to some data. Here are the Franchise and Transition amounts for the two positions:

Defensive end $8.33 million $7.08 million

Defensive tackle $5.66 million $4.46 million

Even if you discount a bit for the top end, this is a significant difference, and while it might be smaller as you move down, it is still significant. DE's cost more than DT's.

eating crow

I just saw this signing and I have to bow to GC, I may have underestimated the market for DT's.

Defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu, one of the hottest players in the unrestricted market, on Saturday agreed to a five-year contract with the Carolina Panthers.

The four-year veteran, who had played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens, will earn $23 million over the course of the 5 year contract, which includes $8 million in guarantees.

[so about $4.6M a year]
    Last edited by ramhard; -03-12-2006 at 02:48 AM.

bruce_wannabe2 Guest

i think pickett is going to team up with larry triplett up in buffalo...

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Resigning Big Grease would really make our D strong especially with the CB/S we draft at #11

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The four-year veteran, who had played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens, will earn $23 million over the course of the 5 year contract, which includes $8 million in guarantees.
    This should be just about where Pickett winds up. If another team like Cleveland or Buffalo are willing to pony up significantly more, then let him walk. I'd gladly spend this kind of money for Pickett, but not a whole lot more.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

zyggy has put on the table an offer of 5 yrs for 16 mil to pickett, according to jim thomas.... don't know what the guaranteed portions are

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    zyggy has put on the table an offer of 5 yrs for 16 mil to pickett, according to jim thomas.... don't know what the guaranteed portions are
    Unless most or all of that is guaranteed, I can't see Pickett signing it. Kemeaotu got $23 mil ($8 mil guaranteed) for the same amount of time. I'd be surprised if Pickett signed for $7 mil less than MK.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod