Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

*player To Cross Off Round 1*

Amobi Okoye measured in at 6'2" 287lbs! We all were speculating whether we could take him in Round 1 and have him play Nose Tackle. No way in gods name can a man of this size play Nose Tackle, let alone Defensive Tackler in the NFL.

Top 6 Picks for Rams:

Gaines Adams
    Jamaal Anderson
    Patrick Willis
    LaRon Landry
    Ted Ginn Jr.
    Lawrence Timmons

RamsFan16

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: *player To Cross Off Round 1*

I believe, RF16, that Okoye's usual playing weight was closer to 295#'s. But even at that weight your point remains valid: He is in no way even close to the size needed to play NT. Why are we even considering this guy when we already have a young developmental DT like C. Wroten? (er...who also is not suited to play nose)

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That's definitely a lot lower than what he was listed at, true. You have to wonder how much more weight he can pack on and still be effective. He's young and he'll likely grow some more, but 30 points lower than his listed weight is quite a bit.

As for your top six, I think it should read...

Alan Branch
    Jamaal Anderson
    Gaines Adams
    Lawrence Timmons
    Patrick Willis
    Ted Ginn Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Why are we even considering this guy when we already have a young developmental DT like C. Wroten?
    Well obviously the new information about his size brings up questions about whether or not we should still consider him, since we're looking for a bigger tackle to eat up some space for our LBs.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-22-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Just to follow this up, if we scratch Okoye off the list, you may be able to replace him with Tank Tyler out of NC State. Measured in at 6'2" 323 lbs and seems to be a late first round pick on many boards. But a good showing at practices and combine workouts could cause him to shoot up boards to the point where he could be an option @ 13.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Okoye is not the answer, We need a beast that has talent, & other than Branch I'm just not seeing anyone the gets me excited. So I would hope we go the free agent route on this one & pick up a D-end or LB that will make an impact. Nick, your top six looks great for me, but the top two just won't be there when we get to pick. But on the flip side would be real happy to see Adams, Timmons or Wills

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Nick, your top six looks great for me, but the top two just won't be there when we get to pick.
    Oh I agree, but I just figured I'd include them for the heck of it.

And to continue on Okoye, he'll likely continue to grow and add more weight. Again, he's only 19 years old, so no one should rule out the idea of him getting bigger. While I wasn't expecting him to weigh in at his listed 317 pounds, I also wasn't expecting him to be 287 either. Even if he adds about 15 pounds, you're still talking about a guy right around the 300 mark. If we're looking for a massive guy to stuff the run and take up space, is he really the guy we should look at? The weigh-in would suggest not.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

problem is we need a guy to come in and play soon. We dont really have the time to wait for Okoye to develop as a player and a man.

although all this speculation about who we draft at this stage in the proceedings is a bit pointless. Last year we were guarenteed to take either Vernon Davis or Jimmy Williams. Davis went 7th overall and Williams dropped out of the first round. Its still fun to do, but i dont think we can take much from it at this moment in time.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

If you just need a person to eat up space.

Draft a NT in the later rounds. Draft Okoye if he is the BPA when we draft.
    I don't mind a UT who can disrupt the opponents passing game or who makes the RB shift left or right into the waiting arm of Victor or Leonard.

A person like Paul Soliai DT Utah in the 5th round will eat up space and will require two blockers.

6'4 334 is a big boy.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh I agree, but I just figured I'd include them for the heck of it.

And to continue on Okoye, he'll likely continue to grow and add more weight. Again, he's only 19 years old, so no one should rule out the idea of him getting bigger. While I wasn't expecting him to weigh in at his listed 317 pounds, I also wasn't expecting him to be 287 either. Even if he adds about 15 pounds, you're still talking about a guy right around the 300 mark. If we're looking for a massive guy to stuff the run and take up space, is he really the guy we should look at? The weigh-in would suggest not.
    I understand that weight is a big factor but shouldn't strength, agility, intelligence, heart and character also be part of it? It's not impossible for a player that weighs 287 to have more strength and other attributes than a guy that out weighs him by 20 pounds or more.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

At 287, I almost wonder if he'd be a better DE, particularly in a 3-4 set.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

[A person like Paul Soliai DT Utah in the 5th round will eat up space and will require two blockers.

6'4 334 is a big boy.[/QUOTE]

Like his size but can he play at the NFL level. Would like to know about him

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

"The most impressive athlete after one practice is 19-year-old defensive tackle Amobi Okoye from Louisville. The first thing that jumped out at me during his pass-rush drills and the 9 on 7 live running game drill was his explosive quickness and excellent technique. It's hard to comprehend that a kid just 19 years old is graduating from college and looks like the next Warren Sapp. Okoye is 6-foot-2 and 312 pounds with the legs of a running back. Tampa defensive line coach Larry Coyer could hardly contain his emotions coaching the teenager that no one could block. "

Found this little tid bit in a Pat Kirwan column here:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9949399
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

Country is offline Registered User

1. Okoye looked very small and light in the practices yesterday and appears to be a penetrating type tackle at this point. Yes he is young and can add weight but he wouldn't be what we need this year.

2. I am always scared of Utah DTs they are all huge and some how do not do well in the NFL.

I think the guy that will pop up on the Rams radar is Tank Tyler from North Carolina State he came into the Senior Bowl at 6'2" 323lbs. and looked like a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I understand that weight is a big factor but shouldn't strength, agility, intelligence, heart and character also be part of it? It's not impossible for a player that weighs 287 to have more strength and other attributes than a guy that out weighs him by 20 pounds or more.
    Well, if we're basically looking for a massive tackle who is going to eat up space, take on blocks, and be an anchor at the LOS, then weight and size are pretty big factors, yeah. Obviously the others play a role as well, but at this point we really need the size up front.

Just some additional info, Scott Wright talked to Okoye about his weight today at the Senior Bowl practices, those comments can be viewed here.

Also, I've read reports that Seattle really liked what they saw in Okoye, though there's not much they can do about it without a first round pick this year.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Country is offline Registered User

Tank Tyler is what the doctor order and we can trade down to get him.

The only knock on him is that he needs some strong coaching, but if he is drafted he can learn from a real proffessional like Laroi Glover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast