Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Playing it safe?

I can see the Rams playing it safe and taking Chris Long tomorrow because old habits die hard. In 2006, we took the safer Hill and passed on Cromartie who was more of a boom or bust type of player and he even had some injury concerns (I think he only player one season at FSU?). Two years later, Cromartie has already established himself as a Top 10 CB and is certainly better than Hill.

Linehan much more power in that draft, but he still has say in this one, which is why I feel he is in Chris Long's corner. Haslett likes Dorsey but would accept Chris if they take him and that is what I envision happening as of now. Atleast to me, history speaks for itself and I can definitely see the Rams going the safe route again.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Playing it safe?

Better safe than sorry. I am confident Chris Long can be double digit sack guy in 2 or 3 years. He will also stuff the run, the only bad thing about him in the future is we will have to sign him to a mondo deal in 5 or 6 years. I think he is more of a smart pick than safe pick

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I think he is more of a smart pick than safe pick
    That's an absolutely great point.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I think he is more of a smart pick than safe pick

Completetly true 100%

And were we not safe on the 2nd round pick with Avery? I literally threw my wallet across the room when I heard it. We could've got him at the top of the 3rd round, and although I am coming around on him, I am still not that pleased. DeSean Jackson had work ethic issues, Kelly had knee concerns and Hardy had character concerns. We went the safe route again and it is really killing me. I find it funny how Haslett went out of his way to mention Dorsey in the Chris Long press conference. I like the Long pick, but I don't really like the Avery pick. Once again we went the safe route and took a player with less to lose on and not only that but we reached on him by about 35 players. There is a reason why the draft is an inexact science and sometimes you have to take more talent to compensate with the risk because there is still a risk involved of not panning out at your spot. Hopefully Avery makes me eat my words on sundays but I can't help but be a little frustrated.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    And were we not safe on the 2nd round pick with Avery? I literally threw my wallet across the room when I heard it. We could've got him at the top of the 3rd round, and although I am coming around on him, I am still not that pleased. DeSean Jackson had work ethic issues, Kelly had knee concerns and Hardy had character concerns. We went the safe route again and it is really killing me. I find it funny how Haslett went out of his way to mention Dorsey in the Chris Long press conference. I like the Long pick, but I don't really like the Avery pick. Once again we went the safe route and took a player with less to lose on and not only that but we reached on him by about 35 players. There is a reason why the draft is an inexact science and sometimes you have to take more talent to compensate with the risk because there is still a risk involved of not panning out at your spot. Hopefully Avery makes me eat my words on sundays but I can't help but be a little frustrated.
    Reach I think not, Avery was considered a top 40 prospect. Once again he is smart pick not a safe pick. You say it is a reach, then call it a safe pick. Huh? does that make sense? Once again this is the smart pick not the safe pick and IMO it is even a little on the risky side. Avery is the perfect fit for our system and fills a big need. We need that dynamic slot guy who will stretch the field for SJ and everyone else. He also has upside to do more in the future as a dynamic WR. He is probably the fastest and most agile WR in the draft and he is just what the doctor ordered for this team.

You say it is a reach, then call it a safe pick. Huh? does that make sense?
    So if we took Keith Rivers at #2 over Chris Long would that not be a safe pick yet still a reach? How does it not make sense?

I was even more aggrevated when Mayock didn't even have Avery listed as a Top 10 WR available, but according to you he is a Top 40 prospect which is laughable. The fact is we reached and could've atleast got some value by trading back into round two and selecting him in the 40's, where the Eagles evidently got DeSean Jackson. If we get Dan Connor tomorrow I will be much happier and it would be a nice start to the day, if we pass on him for an OT I will tear my house down to say the least.