Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Please don't traft Tyler Eifert

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Please don't traft Tyler Eifert

I think Tyler Eifert is a good player and could be a good tight end in the NFL but I would be very disappointed if the Rams decided to take him with one of their 1st round picks. The reason for this is that tight end is a luxury position that most teams rarely spend 1st round picks on. No tight ends were taken by any team in the first round of the last 2 drafts because the same value can be found in later rounds. Out of the first round tight ends drafted in the last 6 years, only 1 has made a pro bowl and that was Jermaine Gresham. Gresham only made the team in 2012 because of player drop outs and if you look at his and Lance Kendricks' stats for their first 2 years in the league then you will notice they are very similar. Gresham also looked like a special player coming out of college as the best playmaker on the one of the best offenses in college football history so his first round selection was defendable.

I could be talked into taking Eifert if he was a great can't miss future pro bowl prospect but he appears to be in the mold of a Coby Fleener or Kyle Rudolph who are good big target guys that come out every year and are available in the second round or later. I would be fine with it if the Rams took him in the second round but not the first because I would prefer higher value pick at a position of need with our day one picks.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Please don't traft Tyler Eifert

Well it all depends on if you feel that player is worth the selection. Safeties are rarely drafted in the top 10, but it happens when an exceptional talent comes around. OG and C are also positions that are usually seen as big no-no's in the first round, but a few exceptional talents have made the 1st.

Truth is, every position on offense and defense is important. If you have the chance to grab a true difference-maker, a player who will be one of the best at his position, you should probably go for it, and not bank on being able to fill the position with an average player later. Especially if, as in the Rams case, you go through players at that position like candy because even though you keep trying to pick them up in the rounds where they have the most value, they keep sucking.

I don't know much about the TE's in this year's draft, but if one turns out to be like Gronk or Gonzalez, I don't think anyone would deny that's worth a first round pick. if they are like Kendricks....meh, not even a 2nd.

Also, pro bowls aren't a good indicator, given the fact the KC chiefs, the worst team in the league, sent what 4 or 5 players to the pro bowl? Meanwhile the Rams sent none. That tells you all you need to know about the worth of pro bowl selections.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Have you watched the NFL lately? Tight end is probably the fast rising position in terms of value.

Have you seen what Rob Gronkowski has done?

If a tight end in this draft can even come close to Gronks production, I'd snatch him up before the second day.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Have you watched the NFL lately? Tight end is probably the fast rising position in terms of value.

Have you seen what Rob Gronkowski has done?

If a tight end in this draft can even come close to Gronks production, I'd snatch him up before the second day.
    Even though I don't agree with him, he has a point. Gronk was taken in the 2nd round..

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Even though I don't agree with him, he has a point. Gronk was taken in the 2nd round..
    Exactly what do you not agree with?

Comon, Im always right.

Exactly what do you not agree with?

Comon, Im always right.
    I don't agree with passing on Eifert and Ertz in the first because some other TE's have had success in later rounds. In my opinion that has 0 impact on whether I like the prospect, and whether I think he can succeed in our situation.

But, I said he had a point because most of the top TE's in the league were not first round picks

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Can the TE position be a luxury? Yes, of course. If you're running a 21 personnel set, have a 6'4" receiver who goes up for it like Megatron, and/or you are playing 1990's football.

Tight ends are Swiss Army Knives. They block in the run game, block in the pass game, are safety valves and can be down field, game changing threats. Teams are barely even carrying a fullback any more, thus destroying the 21 set. Teams are running with 12 personnel or spreading the ball out with 11 or even 10 or 01 personnel. The Rams dis't even carry a fullback last year, instead using Kendricks as a Swiss Army Knife, linng him up all over the field.

That in itself shows that a tight end is not a luxury pick for the Rams, as we don't have a strong enough receiver corps to run a ton of 11 personnel sets, so we need that 2nd TE whom we can play on a majority of the snaps. Having a game changer like Eifert, Ertz, or another tall, athletic, rebounding TE will do great things to our execution on third downs and in the red zone, while giving a Sam one of those targets we keep wanting him to have.

I say, bring on the Tight End at #22!!!
    ZiaRam likes this.
    I believe!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Let me mak one more point to you jmk. You brought up that no tight ends have been been drafted in the first round in the last two years. Ok, fine. What does that have to do with this year's crop? The last two years have been down years for TE's, though Kendricks and Rudolph have been solid enough starters for their teams from the 2011 class. Gronk was a 1st round TE who dropped due to injury concerns.

Comparing draft classes doesn't mean anything to me; this does: Here are teams in the 2012 playoffs who are known for using two TE sets as a main part of their offense.
    New England, duh.
    Houston used to run more, until they lost Joel Dressen to...
    Denver, and paired him up with Tamme.
    Indianapolis, call it the rookie triumverate.
    Washington, though it was better before Cooley got old and Davis got hurt.
    And then our Super Bowl participants:
    San Fran and
    Baltimore

Over half of the playoff field this year. I didn't include the Packers, but they run more TE sets when their WR's are hurt/tired. In a copycat league, this is clear enough signal to me that we should be looking at seriously running a 12 personnel base set with Kendricks continuing to be a wild card as he was last year.
    I believe!

I don't agree with passing on Eifert and Ertz in the first because some other TE's have had success in later rounds. In my opinion that has 0 impact on whether I like the prospect, and whether I think he can succeed in our situation.

But, I said he had a point because most of the top TE's in the league were not first round picks
    The fact that most bonafide TEs arent first round selections should have no bearing on this years draft.

Everyone knows the NFL is becoming very pass happy. Tight ends are starting to become game changers more now than ever. Two tight end sets can be deadly if you have the right talent at both positions. Eifert and Kendricks would make a great duo.

If we miss out or pass up on Patterson and Allen, I really hope we dont pass on Eifert as well.
    sosa39rams likes this.

The fact that most bonafide TEs arent first round selections should have no bearing on this years draft.

Everyone knows the NFL is becoming very pass happy. Tight ends are starting to become game changers more now than ever. Two tight end sets can be deadly if you have the right talent at both positions. Eifert and Kendricks would make a great duo.

If we miss out or pass up on Patterson and Allen, I really hope we dont pass on Eifert as well.
    I agree wholeheartedly. A good TE is just as important as any other position in football at this point. I prefer Ertz to Eifert but I'd be ecstatic with either.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Can the TE position be a luxury? Yes, of course. If you're running a 21 personnel set, have a 6'4" receiver who goes up for it like Megatron, and/or you are playing 1990's football.

Tight ends are Swiss Army Knives. They block in the run game, block in the pass game, are safety valves and can be down field, game changing threats. Teams are barely even carrying a fullback any more, thus destroying the 21 set. Teams are running with 12 personnel or spreading the ball out with 11 or even 10 or 01 personnel. The Rams dis't even carry a fullback last year, instead using Kendricks as a Swiss Army Knife, linng him up all over the field.

That in itself shows that a tight end is not a luxury pick for the Rams, as we don't have a strong enough receiver corps to run a ton of 11 personnel sets, so we need that 2nd TE whom we can play on a majority of the snaps. Having a game changer like Eifert, Ertz, or another tall, athletic, rebounding TE will do great things to our execution on third downs and in the red zone, while giving a Sam one of those targets we keep wanting him to have.

I say, bring on the Tight End at #22!!!
    Imagine running 21 personnel with Kendricks and Eifert/Ertz? Matchup nightmares all over the field. I agree with the bring on a TE. The magical thing being Kendricks is the H-Back so he can like up as a FB in 21 personnel. He is the versatile "swiss army knife" as you said (perfectly put), and the other can be the matchup nightmare.

THE DREAM TEAM

RosieJones is offline Registered User

In the current NFL having two effective tight ends is almost becoming a necessity. The good thing about this years draft is that it's pretty deep at tight end.
    So if you subscribe to the idea that Ertz or Eifert have first round value (which I do) then it's no big deal if the Rams select one of them at 22.
    On the other hand, if you think waiting until round 2 and later is a better value then you'll probably still have a player like Gavin Escobar or Vance McDonald (either of whom I'd be happy with as well) on the board when the Rams pick.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Out of the first round tight ends drafted in the last 6 years, only 1 has made a pro bowl
    The only thing I'd like to point out is if your grading players solely on making the Pro Bowl then anything you say on a player is poo. Pro Bowl selections is a joke and has ZERO reflection on a player for that season since its mostly a popularity and name recognition contest. Chris Long, J Lau and others are worthless and cant contribute since they didn't make the PB team right??? Not trying to attack you but anything PB now a days is a joke...

I agree wholeheartedly. A good TE is just as important as any other position in football at this point. I prefer Ertz to Eifert but I'd be ecstatic with either.
    I like Erts as well, but Eifert is my choice.

Why? Because Bradford has never had a pass catcher who he can throw at even when they're covered and still have faith in them to come up with it. Eiferts a MONSTER at catching in traffic and wins jump balls all the time. Bradfords never had a guy like this. Imagine the connection they would have if Bradford trusted him enough to zing it in there in tight coverage.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Let me mak one more point to you jmk. You brought up that no tight ends have been been drafted in the first round in the last two years. Ok, fine. What does that have to do with this year's crop? The last two years have been down years for TE's, though Kendricks and Rudolph have been solid enough starters for their teams from the 2011 class. Gronk was a 1st round TE who dropped due to injury concerns.

Comparing draft classes doesn't mean anything to me; this does: Here are teams in the 2012 playoffs who are known for using two TE sets as a main part of their offense.
    New England, duh.
    Houston used to run more, until they lost Joel Dressen to...
    Denver, and paired him up with Tamme.
    Indianapolis, call it the rookie triumverate.
    Washington, though it was better before Cooley got old and Davis got hurt.
    And then our Super Bowl participants:
    San Fran and
    Baltimore

Over half of the playoff field this year. I didn't include the Packers, but they run more TE sets when their WR's are hurt/tired. In a copycat league, this is clear enough signal to me that we should be looking at seriously running a 12 personnel base set with Kendricks continuing to be a wild card as he was last year.
    All of those teams do have good tight ends but only one of them has any TE's taken in the first round with Vernon Davis in San Fransisco and he was a rare physical specimen who was a consensus first round pick unlike Eifert.

Everyone is citing examples of teams that have had success with tight ends but you are ignoring that all of these players were taken outside of the first round. This post was no an anti Tight End post but was simply advocating against taking such players in the first round unless they are a rare prospect like Vernon Davis or Jermain Gresham and based on everything I've seen from Eifert, he is not this type of player.

In the last decade the hit to miss ratio on first round picks at Tight End has not been very good, especially when you consider that later round players are dominating the league at the position. I would rather not spend a first round pick reaching for a player when similar talent can be picked up later in the draft. I am all for taking Eifert or Ertz with a second rounder but I would rather use first round picks on playmakers that can only be found on day one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast