Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Please, make Everson Griffen the pick!

Quote Originally Posted by rams_man13 View Post
    The fact is, the Pats are the best at evaluating talent through all rounds which is why they are a consistently good team and why they can plug and play depth players and have great results.

If the Pats were interested enough to call, and we can grab him later, we need to make that pick. Not only is he BPA, he fits a HUGE need.
    Plug and play worked when their backup talent was surrounded by other great talents. The team has slowly declined the last two years as they have lost talent, relying on the 4th and 5th rounds to re-stock the pro bowlers who used to be there. I think you are going to see them continue to regress as their core gets older, and the players they picked just aren't as talented as the ones they replace.

I like everson griffen, but picking him because the pats want him is poor drafting. Pick him because the scouts and GM and head coach like him, not cause the pats do.

rams_man13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Plug and play worked when their backup talent was surrounded by other great talents. The team has slowly declined the last two years as they have lost talent, relying on the 4th and 5th rounds to re-stock the pro bowlers who used to be there. I think you are going to see them continue to regress as their core gets older, and the players they picked just aren't as talented as the ones they replace.

I like everson griffen, but picking him because the pats want him is poor drafting. Pick him because the scouts and GM and head coach like him, not cause the pats do.
    We'll see how quickly they decline after next year with their 2 firsts and 2 seconds. I think they will reload and draft well enough to never have to rebuild, just keep reloading.

I agree though, you don't take a player because other teams like him, I was just using the Pats to show that some very successful teams are starting to like his return relative to risk now.

This is a quote from twitter regarding why Griffen is falling:

mortreport

RT @jeremyhiler: @mortreport What happened to Everson Griffen >> character, talented, underachiever & worries he will tank w money.#nfldraft
    I really think Spags can light a fire under this guy, especially if he comes in with a chip on his shoulder after being passed up by all these teams. People who don't put effort in sometimes just don't feel challenged. He's been the best all his life, now he's just average, let's select him and see how he responds.

rams_man13 Guest

Sorry, accidental double post.

We'll see how quickly they decline after next year with their 2 firsts and 2 seconds. I think they will reload and draft well enough to never have to rebuild, just keep reloading.
    You know they are trying to trading back on every single one of those picks. They hate paying first round money, and often trade back even from the 2nd. It actually really irritates one of my friends who is a pats fan. Every time their pick comes up and he gets excited, they trade back.

I really think Spags can light a fire under this guy, especially if he comes in with a chip on his shoulder after being passed up by all these teams. People who don't put effort in sometimes just don't feel challenged. He's been the best all his life, now he's just average, let's select him and see how he responds.
    I don't know. I have a lot of faith in Spags, but when a player just doesn't care, you can't do anything but bench him. Look at Claude Wroten for example, there was no one that was going to make him care enough to play football in the NFL. Some guys for whatever reason just don't have that fire, and if they don't, then I don't want them.

Also, the Pats must not have been that sold on him if they were willing to pick up an extra late pick instead of drafting him. And then they had another pick right after 89 (the 90th) and passed on him there for a WR. If they were that high on him, he'd be a Pat by now.

JimmyG37 Guest

I'd like to see us take Griffen with our first pick in the morning. I've made this comparison with other players before since it's one of Spags' coaching success stories, but Griffen and Justin Tuck are roughly the same size. Actually, Griffen's combine numbers might be better than Tuck's. Tuck became an absolute stud while Spags was with the Giants, and I'd like to see Spags sit Griffen down after drafting him and show him highlights of Tuck, while relaying the message to Griffen that he thinks Griffen can be that type of player for the Rams if he fully commits.

rams_man13 Guest

You know they are trying to trading back on every single one of those picks. They hate paying first round money, and often trade back even from the 2nd. It actually really irritates one of my friends who is a pats fan. Every time their pick comes up and he gets excited, they trade back.

I don't know. I have a lot of faith in Spags, but when a player just doesn't care, you can't do anything but bench him. Look at Claude Wroten for example, there was no one that was going to make him care enough to play football in the NFL. Some guys for whatever reason just don't have that fire, and if they don't, then I don't want them.

Also, the Pats must not have been that sold on him if they were willing to pick up an extra late pick instead of drafting him. And then they had another pick right after 89 (the 90th) and passed on him there for a WR. If they were that high on him, he'd be a Pat by now.
    I know about the trading back thing, I watched the first 4 rounds with a Pats fan and he was loving it. They got great value in the trade and already submitted the Taylor Price pick when on the phone with Griffen. That's why Griffen is still on the board... I think Spags should buy the Panthers GM a case of beer.

I know what you are saying about unmotivated players, but again, I'm willing to take that risk on a talented player like Griffen in the fourth. Most of these picks won't be more than special teamers, if you see a potential starter at a position of need, you snap him up and find a way to motivate him. If he's motivated by money, he'll need to play well to get a contract of a great player (as opposed to a 4th round contract). If he's motivated because he's no longer the most talented guy in his world, he should come in pooping bricks. A good leader can motivate all of his subordinates and I believe Spags is one of the best leaders in team history. Not to mention, James L is looking like an excellent peer leader, showing up at press conferences and leading by example on the field.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

I hope we take Griffen, but I like that giant Wooten, he's a biggin at 4-3 DE.

rams_man13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    I hope we take Griffen, but I like that giant Wooten, he's a biggin at 4-3 DE.

I don't see him as a speed rusher though, I think he's a similar style to Long.

Griffen is 273 pounds and runs a 4.59... that's a great start to a dominant DE.

I know about the trading back thing, I watched the first 4 rounds with a Pats fan and he was loving it. They got great value in the trade and already submitted the Taylor Price pick when on the phone with Griffen. That's why Griffen is still on the board... I think Spags should buy the Panthers GM a case of beer.
    Since when could you put in a pick before the drafting team did? The Pat's selection was most certainly changeable until after the Panther's selected, and they could not have put their 90th pick in before the 89th. Why would they select Taylor Price with the 90th, then call Griffen to tell them he was being selected, then trade the pick? They would have put in the Griffen pick first, as that was the first pick, if that is actually the case.

Rules of the draft say that Price could not have been selected at 90 before the Panthers picked at 89, so I have to say bogus to the idea they had already selected Price at 90 then traded out of the pick before that. I'll say it again, if they wanted Griffen that badly, Griffen would be a pat, not Price.

rams_man13 Guest

Since when could you put in a pick before the drafting team did? The Pat's selection was most certainly changeable until after the Panther's selected, and they could not have put their 90th pick in before the 89th. Why would they select Taylor Price with the 90th, then call Griffen to tell them he was being selected, then trade the pick? They would have put in the Griffen pick first, as that was the first pick, if that is actually the case.

Rules of the draft say that Price could not have been selected at 90 before the Panthers picked at 89, so I have to say bogus to the idea they had already selected Price at 90 then traded out of the pick before that. I'll say it again, if they wanted Griffen that badly, Griffen would be a pat, not Price.
    No, but it's possible that they talked to Price first, said, we are picking you, then got the call from the panthers while calling Griffen.

Price would have been 89, Griffen would have been 90.

Then, trade with the Panthers who take Edwards. Price is number one of their board and Griffen is number two, they take Price at 90 and Griffen is left in the cold.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Out of the players still available I hope Rams draft one of these players. In order of my likes.
    1 TE Dennis Pitta (A great pass catcher)
    2 DE Austen Lane (not Everson Griffen "No Heart" way overated, Check out what Walters football says)
    3 OT Bruce Campbell (BPA) Potential to be best OT in this draft in a couple years. A. Barron gone now.
    4 OLB Dekoda Watson (WLB)
    5 DT Geno Atkins (pass rushing DT on passing downs)
    6 RB Deji Karim (hope he is there in 5th, great change of pace back)

#39 Fan Guest

Griffen would be fantastic value/need indeed

#39 Fan Guest

6'4", 273lb 4.65 40', 32 bench reps, projected 1st-2nd, and is still available. Pretty insane

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Out of the players still available I hope Rams draft one of these players. In order of my likes.
    1 TE Dennis Pitta (A great pass catcher)
    2 DE Austen Lane (not Everson Griffen "No Heart" way overated, Check out what Walters football says)
    3 OT Bruce Campbell (BPA) Potential to be best OT in this draft in a couple years. A. Barron gone now.
    4 OLB Dekoda Watson (WLB)
    5 DT Geno Atkins (pass rushing DT on passing downs)
    6 RB Deji Karim (hope he is there in 5th, great change of pace back)
    After the Saffold pick id take Campbell off that list, the others i wouldnt mind

bigtiger737 Guest

I like griffen... I don't care what analyst tell me.. not even a day after round 1 the analyst have now said clausen is the Qb of the draft.. they get paid to keep talk going and make drama.. and a very large majority of you eat it up, and think you have a grasp because someone who was told what to say by a college intern who was told to tell him that by a writer or director 5 min before that.. said blah blah blah after they heard it from a columnist who did the exact same thing.. Is it really that hard to see?? I mean honestly.. I like this Board the most infact this is the only board I take time to look at.. but seriously.. How many times can you rely on people who change there story everyday??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast