Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Please respond to the following conern about Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I'm not as concerned about him playing under pressure as I am about our offensive line being good enough to even give the guy a chance to succeed. It's one thing to suck with a decent line and it's another to be good (or have potential) and be constantly harassed by defenses because the o-line can't block. This is was one of the biggest reasons as to why Marc Bulger's career declined. Like you guys said, you need a decent line to do anything as a QB. If the Rams can get solid performances by the o-line I'm not too worried about Bradford.
    All the more reason not to draft Bradford in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Well everything you said has been my concern too. But what convinced me was making a pro/con list.

PRO's
    leader
    humble
    tough
    accurate
    smart
    loves the game

CON's
    Limited experience under preassure
    Questionable durability

I dont think he is a franchise player yet. I think he has a ways to go. But there is nothing to suggest he doesn't have the work ethic, the tools, the talent, and the brains to overcome his obstacles. Every rookie at every position has to deal with the change of speed when coming into the NFL. Bradford will have to adapt like everyone else, and I believe he can. There have been worse QB's who have had to overcome more than Bradford will have too. And I dont think Bradford has any less heart than they did.

ps. There is no excuse though for not trying to get Bradford some protection. Thats a must!!!
    I think you forgot one con...the most important of all, which neutralizes all of the pros in my opinion.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Sounds like your opinion is harshly biased though..how is it because YOU question his durability it eliminates all his pros? yeah...

And against Nebraska, was Suh's hand in Bradford's face or not? Were they not still creating pressure on Bradford? regardless of how Nebraska's offense did, the defense still was good and kept the pressure on Bradford.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I think by now if the people don't want to believe Bradford is a potential franchise QB, they're going to question everything...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Sounds like your opinion is harshly biased though..how is it because YOU question his durability it eliminates all his pros? yeah...

And against Nebraska, was Suh's hand in Bradford's face or not? Were they not still creating pressure on Bradford? regardless of how Nebraska's offense did, the defense still was good and kept the pressure on Bradford.
    Well...funny you should mention that, but Bradford was only 19 for 27. Again, though, the mental pressure is low when you are up by 4 touchdowns with 9 minutes to go in the first against a mediocre offense like Nebraska's.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I think by now if the people don't want to believe Bradford is a potential franchise QB, they're going to question everything...
    I believe he is a possible "franchise" QB. One of that second tier who can be very successful in the right situation, but sub par anywhere else. Compare with Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Hasselbeck, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, and Donovan McNabb.

This is team is not the right situation.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Well regardless, hopefully you don't boo him when he's in blue and gold come April.

You may not think the team isn't in the right situation but i do, FO does, couts do, most mock drafters ive seen do, NFL analyst (for what its worth) do, I just think the Suh loves puts the blinders on people. I think Bradford is a top tier caliber guy but its all she says/he says. We'll see this fall...

Well regardless, hopefully you don't boo him when he's in blue and gold come April.

You may not think the team isn't in the right situation but i do, FO does, couts do, most mock drafters ive seen do, NFL analyst (for what its worth) do, I just think the Suh loves puts the blinders on people. I think Bradford is a top tier caliber guy but its all she says/he says. We'll see this fall...
    They also believed that having no veteran wide receivers last season was a good idea and that there would be about 200 more UFAs than there actually were. They also might believe in the Easter Bunny, but I haven't seen any evidence one way or the other.

It doesn't eliminate his pros. Neutralize doesn't mean eliminate, especially in this instance. I just think it's risky committing the amount of money needed to sign Bradford as the #1 overall pick when he may not hold up under the pounding that he could very well be subjected to this year.
    I think we will select him though and if so, no one will be hoping for him to succeed more than I will. But my opinion is still that we should select Suh and possibly a QB later in the draft or next year. We need a QB but we don't necessarily need to have him immediately if long term success is the goal.
    Last edited by harrydog; -04-05-2010 at 09:46 PM.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My answer to that is simple. What QB doesn't look mortal when under constant pressure?

Tom Brady has won 3 Super Bowls and was at the helm of an undefeated a couple of years ago, but under a heavy rush from the Giants, he looked pretty mortal.

Rich Gannon was the league MVP when his Raiders played the Bucs in the Super Bowl. He threw 5 interceptions in the game.

The great Jim Kelly, when faced with the Giants' defense in Super Bowl 25, was outplayed by Jeff Hostetler.

There are countless examples I could give.

The bottom line is, NO QB is immune to pressure.
    So defense wins championships is really what you're saying...or how about this, SF QB -Alex Smith, Ari QB - Matt L, Sea QB - Charlie W. Matt H. or some rookie...defense wins the NFC West. Put pressure on these QB's you can create turnovers. IMO the NFC West is up for grabs to whichever team can win 6 games first, and honestly I won't be surprised if only ONE teams wins 6 games or more.

People have made the argument with me that Bradford will help the rams win more games, but the question is when. I've said before that I do love Bradford, I think he's the best QB to come out of the draft in several years. Clausen personally worries me, and always has since I heard him talk about how he was going to go to ND and win a few national titles etc...I know that's the past, but when I look in his eye's there's something there that I just don't like and makes me want to say Ryan Leaf. When I look at Bradford's I see a person that has great character, will put in the work, and will demand himself to get better. He IS a franchise QB.

Regarding the DT's. I've said before that personally I feel that G. McCoy is the safer pick and Suh has a bigger bust potential. That said though, I think Suh has a ceiling that is a lot higher than G. McCoy's. I originally said that before the bowl games were played. After the Bowl games, and hearing him, seeing him workout, hearing reports the clear #1 DT is Suh...and based on how this team is today, we MUST draft him.

I've heard people use the WCO argument last year as well, which I was vehemently for the drafting of Crabtree and taking an OT in round 2. If that was done, I'd be 100% behind drafting Bradford right now. It wasn't, and there's still question on the o-line, as well as WR. This is not the place for a QB to be brought into. If we don't draft Bradford, then we sure as HELL should not draft Colt McCoy either.

People talk about the Rams needing a face of the franchise. Right now its Stephen Jackson, but how many more years does he have left vs how many before the Rams can turn around the offense? For all the people that loved getting James Laurinaitis (I'll admit I didn't like it and wished we went in a completely different direction the ENTIRE draft last year) the FO should make a move to making him the face of the franchise. Afterall, they did try to trade back into the first round to draft him. Suh will help him, and Long as well as Adam C. Get pressure on those QB's in our division and we can have a shot.

Some people will talk about our previous picks at the DT position not working out. First off to that I'll say, none of them were rated as the top DT player in their draft. Second off I'll say do you expect to get more out of a DT pick with Martz as your coach or Spags? Both are probable reasons why they didn't work out for us. And neither of them are reasons for us to stay away from drafting Suh #1. Like I've stated before, the only way I'd get Bradford would be is if I drafted Suh, and traded his rights for those of Bradford and picked up a third round pick....ideally 2nd. But with the holes on this team, if I had mapped out offensive target players that could come in and contribute I'd settle for a 3rd. Bradford would need a TE, as young QB's need a security blanket, and then I'd look for a guy like Jordan Shipley that is a possession like guy that IMO can go over the middle and make tough catches yet just seems to be a very heady player after that catch that safety's have to creep up a lil and keep an eye on. He might be the perfect compliment to Avery and our speedy WR's. That guy just reminds me a bit of Wes Welker. Normally I'm not fond of drafting mid round WR's as my philosophy is to take the best one, or none of them (as I'd rather invest picks at the time on the OL or DL) but something about that guy says he can create problems for defenses when paired with our WR's.

That's the only way I'd get Bradford in a Rams jersey. If we get him, we have to commit to him. IMO we should have committed to him last year. No matter what though, Suh should be drafted by the Rams, because the risk we'd be taking as an organization with what we have right now, we need to be compensated for. If no one is willing to compensate us, then we keep Suh and the defense can start looking dominate. So yeah, draft Suh with the option to trade him for Bradford with some compensation, otherwise keep him.
    Last edited by LongBlood; -04-06-2010 at 04:12 AM.

dave626 is offline Registered User

He didnt make any line calls, didnt have to read a defense his entire college career, all that was done from the sidelines, and THAT doesnt concern anyone?
    I think he is more accustomed to throw under pressure, than dealing with all the decisions to be made prior to the snap and shortly after, and THEN throw the ball accurately to the open, or in our case the least covered, WR.

Short drops, quick throws and playaction will all help the pressure issue but what's going to help him when he has NO idea what kind of defense hes looking at? Im on the Bradford wagon but he will need to sit awhile before being thrown in there and Feely isnt the guy to start while we are waiting imo.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    All the more reason not to draft Bradford in my opinion.
    It's tough...Personally I would draft him if you think he's the franchise's QB of the future. I'd solidify that line and see it gel together and have Feeley take the beating until its a more functional line. Unfortunately for us, we'll have to trust that (if Bradford is drafted) the coaches feel Smith is ready to be the LT of the future and that the rest of the line is capable of keeping the dude(s) alive.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

punahou is online now Registered User

Let us not forget all the other great QBs that led Stoops' Sooners to stellar records and performances throughout their college careers-- namely Josh Huepel and the

HEISMAN WINNING QB named Josh White-- who put up similar numbers to Bradford.

I am still shocked by the Bradwagon that is taking the Rams by storm.

How you pass up what many say is the best DT to come out in the last generation for a QB that is a product of Stoops' system? is beyond me.

This guy is another Colt Brennan, Josh Heupel, and Jason White.

For gods sake we pass up trading a 2nd round pick this year for a proven NFL commondity and signed AJ Feeley? This team has a penchant for signing ex giants and eagles, and why we pass on McNabb-- who has
    better stats than John Elway BTW-- and end up with Danny Amendola, that Gibson Guy, Fred Baskin Robbins, and AJ Feely- Good.

And for Gods sake-- McNabb grets traded to an in game rival? hows that make any sense at all?

Suh 1st round
    Mcnabb in lieu of 2nd round and 3rd round next year

that sounds great. Then next year we can take the fan boy hyped QB that will be just as good as Bradford.

HELP US!! Where is Dick Vermeil and Ray Malavasi when we need them?!
    Last edited by punahou; -04-06-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Let us not forget all the other great QBs that led Stoops' Sooners to stellar records and performances throughout their college careers-- namely Josh Huepel and the

HEISMAN WINNING QB named Josh White-- who put up similar numbers to Bradford.

I am still shocked by the Bradwagon that is taking the Rams by storm.

How you pass up what many say is the best DT to come out in the last generation for a QB that is a product of Stoops' system? is beyond me.

This guy is another Colt Brennan, Josh Heupel, and Jason White.

For gods sake we pass up trading a 2nd round pick this year for a proven NFL commondity and signed AJ Feeley? This team has a penchant for signing ex giants and eagles, and why we pass on McNabb-- who has
    better stats than John Elway BTW-- and end up with Danny Amendola, that Gibson Guy, Fred Baskin Robbins, and AJ Feely- Good.

And for Gods sake-- McNabb grets traded to an in game rival? hows that make any sense at all?

Suh 1st round
    Mcnabb in lieu of 2nd round and 3rd round next year

that sounds great. Then next year we can take the fan boy hyped QB that will be just as good as Bradford.

HELP US!! Where is Dick Vermeil and Ray Malavasi when we need them?!

Oh, and which QB would be that? Terrell Pryor?

You guys are acting as if we can draft Suh this year, and come back next year and draft the number 1 QB.

WAIT did I just hear that correctly?

So what is this implying?

That Suh won't make a significant enough impact on this team that we would still be in position to take the number 1 QB next year?

Hmmm. Interesting...

Maybe Suh isn't a savior...

And by the way, Bradford is not overhyped.

He's earned every single praise and compliment. The guy's accuracy and game is similar to Peyton Manning...

AND, I don't know why people are so satisfied with picking 2nd tier QBs instead of top tier ones. QB is the most important position on the field. If you pick a second tier QB, they're going to have a lot of problems with their game, and do you want a QB with a lot of problems in their game?

You take the best QB, or you wait. You don't settle for average when dealing with QBs.

There have been some great QBs come out of the middle rounds, but those are the exceptions, not the rule...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast