• A tall WR

0 0%
  • Another DT

2 10.53%
  • Something else?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

At this point (October 2006) what is the Rams biggest need for the next draft?

Never too soon to ask!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: At this point (October 2006) what is the Rams biggest need for the next draft?

My Vote goes to a Big, Fast OLB.... Chillar isnt really doing much this season...... Pisa going through an injury and depth at Linebacker isnt really that good except for Coakley who is an ok Linebacker

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: At this point (October 2006) what is the Rams biggest need for the next draft?

The Rams are barely generating a pass rush from their D-line when you remove Leonard Little from the equation. A pass rushing DE is probably one of the most important players in the game, so I would rank that #1 right now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Gotta be the pass rusher, though its not clear to me why that person can't be an OLB too.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

It was a tought decision between OLB and G. But in the end guard won. With the loss of McCollum this season it's shown us that our o-line isn't getting any younger. Timmerman as much as I love him is on his last leg. I don't care how good you say Jackson or Bulger are. They aren't going to be able to do crap if we can't make some holes and keep our qb up right.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

A big, fast, athletic OLB = PATRICK WILLIS!
    RamsFan16

RamDodger is offline Registered User

If I had to make a wishlist it would be:
    1. OLB in the mold of Merriman in SD (OLB/DE) for pass rushing
    2. OL (possibly a G who can fill in quickly)
    3. RB (someone to compliment or backup Jackson, Davis is too old and banged up to continue much beyond this season)

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

You just HAD to open this particular can of worms, didn't you?

Well, since you asked...

Definitely a linebacker. A big, fast, 'hate to meet him in a dark alley' guy.

And an offensive guard. Somebody who can cover everything from Pace to Barron without having to work hard.

A nice, fast, DE. Somebody faster than Tye Hill, tougher than Pisa, and better than Little in his prime.

Lastly...a really fast, sure handed WR. Somebody just like Torry. Bruce is 33, and Torry is 30. We'll have Bruce for a couple of more years, and Torry for about five or six, but we need another HUGE playmaking WR. I'm not knocking Curtis, I just don't think he's adequate to fill Bruce's shoes. And, a young, fast, maneuverable RB the following year...like a Marshall clone.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Gotta be the pass rusher, though its not clear to me why that person can't be an OLB too.
    He can, though pressure from the front four is essential in any scheme, and avoiding a DE because we can get a LB who can rush the passer kind of defeats the purpose of improving a front four that needs a serious boost in the pass rush department.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    A big, fast, athletic OLB = PATRICK WILLIS!
    Again, in theory. I personally think he could shift outside, and I've read that others do as well, but that's a bit of a gamble since he's not a pure OLB. It may actually be more advantageous for the Rams to address another position early and draft a pure OLB later depending on who is available in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by RamDodger View Post
    1. OLB in the mold of Merriman in SD (OLB/DE) for pass rushing
    I've been saying this for a year or two: unless we're switching to San Diego's 3-4 system, then a player in Merriman's mold would likely not be used correctly or to his full potential in St. Louis. The reason Merriman is so effective is not simply because of his talent, but because he's a great fit in their scheme. The Rams would have to commit to quite a bit more use of the 3-4 before we should really look at a DE/OLB hybrid.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Pass rush is critical, but there wont be an impact player there at #32 when we pick. I agree that chillar is not a long term answer. Linebacker will be better value at #32 than whatever is left of the defensive ends. Meanwhile, if we dont resign leonard, the odds of us getting adequate help at that position in the draft are basically zero.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Pass rush is critical, but there wont be an impact player there at #32 when we pick. I agree that chillar is not a long term answer. Linebacker will be better value at #32 than whatever is left of the defensive ends. Meanwhile, if we dont resign leonard, the odds of us getting adequate help at that position in the draft are basically zero.
    Well, I don't think we're picking at 32, but I like your optimism.

As for LB being of better value at the end of the first than DE, I'm not so sure this will be the case. There are a number of talented defensive ends that rank from the top of the first through the second round - Moses and Adams should be competing for the top prize, but you've also got guys like Lamarr Woodley as a potential 4-3 end, and then you've got prospects like Victor Abiamiri, Adam Carriker, and Tim Crowder who could all grab some late first early second round attention.

Our need at linebacker is a bit more specific because we need at SAM linebacker. Posluszny will definitely be gone barring major changes in stock and Willis is an ILB prospect that could make the transition but I don't think he's around at the end of the first either. Then you've got guys like Earl Everett and Rufus Alexander who are likely better suited for the weak side. The only other potential first round LB on the radar right now is MLB Buster Davis or H.B. Blades, and as middle linebackers, neither fill a need. So unless Poz or Willis fall, I'm not sure I see the better value at linebacker here at this point of the year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, i completely defer to your well known draft expertise. At this point, i know nothing about next years draft, but i do like the idea of the rams adding a guy named Rufus. I also like the idea of adding another harvard guy given that we are collecting them at this point.

I leave the improvement through the draft to those more knowledgeable than myself, but i am generally of the view that quick fix in the draft is very tough and that resigning your own key guys is an underlooked issue. In the rams case, lord help us without leonard and his production. If we think we have needs at linebacker now, how are we going to feel if we dont sign pisa.

As for us picking #32, onward and upward my friend, keep the faith. I agree that its wishful thinking at this point, and i am sure you know that i was mainly kidding around, but i honestly believe that if we can get past seattle this weekend, the sky is the limit for this team if we stay healthy. we will continue to improve as the weeks go on.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramstiles is offline Registered User

we need pressure on the QB however we achieve it DE, DT or OLB

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

After watching yesterdays game I have been forced to change my draft position. We need a run stopper. End of story. The chargers exposed us for the defense that we are. You can't expect anyone to respect this defense let alone a great running team like the Chiefs or the Steelers.

We need our own Brian Urlacher/ Ray Lewis/Tedy Bruschi type player. So if he's around I say that we jump on Patrick Willis. I think he is exactly the type of big physical bruising lb that we lack. With him anchoring the middle we could move Witherspoon to the outside, his natural position. This would give him more roaming over to the field and allow him a better chance to attack the running back. He's a sideline to sideline player. Ontop of it we have him signed for the next couple of years. The same thing with Pisa.

The only thing is that I don't know if Patrick Willis will be around when we draft. So based on your knowledge Nick, who do you think that we should pursue if this beast isn't on the board when we pick. Do you think that if this trend or being gouged by running backs continues that it would validate moving up and selecting him sooner? We let AJ Hawk get by us. Should we let him get by us too?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    We need our own Brian Urlacher/ Ray Lewis/Tedy Bruschi type player. So if he's around I say that we jump on Patrick Willis. I think he is exactly the type of big physical bruising lb that we lack. With him anchoring the middle we could move Witherspoon to the outside, his natural position. This would give him more roaming over to the field and allow him a better chance to attack the running back. He's a sideline to sideline player. Ontop of it we have him signed for the next couple of years. The same thing with Pisa.
    Moving Witherspoon outside suddenly makes Pisa one of the highest paid back-up players in the league, because neither of them are going to be their most effective on the strong side IMO. So if you move Will outside, it's to the weak side where Pisa plays, and then Pisa is the odd mad out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    So based on your knowledge Nick, who do you think that we should pursue if this beast isn't on the board when we pick. Do you think that if this trend or being gouged by running backs continues that it would validate moving up and selecting him sooner? We let AJ Hawk get by us. Should we let him get by us too?
    Well, AJ Hawk didn't get by us. He was selected before we picked. It's not like we passed on him.

As for Willis, I'm not sure where he grades out or where we'll end up. Obviously a big part of the "Should we trade up" discussion is how much do you have to give to move where you need to move.

Overall I don't believe it's a very strong class for strong side linebackers, and I don't believe we need to be drafting a MLB to play MLB, so looking in free agency for our third LB might be the best solution. Some names that I believe are scheduled for free agency that we could look at include Lance Briggs, Chris Draft, Warrick Holdman, Adalius Thomas, and Demorrio Williams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast