• A tall WR

0 0%
  • Another DT

2 10.53%
  • Something else?

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Re: At this point (October 2006) what is the Rams biggest need for the next draft?

Am I missing something here? A lot of posts talk about our perceived weakness at SAM linebacker; but my question is has B. Chillar really been playing that badly to want to use a FIRST rounder to replace him? Granted we all want to upgrade the defense, but is SAM LB a priority at this point or what? Seems to me other positions (DT, DE, DB) need more help at this time, anyway.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: At this point (October 2006) what is the Rams biggest need for the next draft?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Am I missing something here? A lot of posts talk about our perceived weakness at SAM linebacker; but my question is has B. Chillar really been playing that badly to want to use a FIRST rounder to replace him? Granted we all want to upgrade the defense, but is SAM LB a priority at this point or what? Seems to me other positions (DT, DE, DB) need more help at this time, anyway.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I'm not convinced Chillar has been playing that badly, but I'm not convinced he's been playing exceptionally well either. I think the argument to get a SAM linebacker early in the draft is because of the possibility of landing a guy like Patrick Willis. I think you could make a strong case that if Adams and Moses are off the board, there's currently not a DE candidate that ranks higher at his position than Willis does as a LB. This class doesn't exactly scream "lots of SAM prospects" either, so that plays into it as well.

That being said, drafting Willis who plays MLB in college and trying to move him to the SAM position is giving me partial flashbacks of what we tried to do to Robert Thomas by moving him outside. I think the Rams may be better served making a run at a free agent SAM linebacker and spending the first round pick on a DE, OG, or even a S if a good one is available and of good value.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I was thinking about what you said about Witherspoon moving over to play weakside LB which would make Pisa sit on the bench nick. Now I was thinking, why can't we do that? He played weakside and middle in the nfl so why not move him over to strong side? Well I was looking at his information on the rams website. This is what I found.

"Three-year starter at Georgia…finished Bulldogs’ career with 211 tackles, one fumble recovery, one forced fumble, 3.5 sacks, 14 tackles for losses, seven passes defensed, and 15 quarterback pressures…showed versatility, starting at middle linebacker as sophomore, strongside linebacker as junior, and weakside linebacker as senior…started nine games at weakside linebacker as senior, posting 43 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, one pass defensed, and six quarterback pressures…started 10 games at strongside linebacker as junior in 2000, finishing third on team with career-high 85 tackles…added two sacks, one fumble recovery, four passes defensed, three quarterback pressures, and team-high 10 special teams stops…played in eight games, starting five at middle linebacker as sophomore…played in all 11 games as true freshman, finishing with 50 tackles…agricultural engineering major."

After reading that do you think that it might be possible to move him to the strong side might be plausable. I mean all his stats execpt for qb pressures and FF which he tied, are better at strong side. Or is it that you think that his college playing days at that position won't transfer over to the nfl?

bigredman is offline Registered User

Their biggest need? To lose as many games (hopefully all) between now and the end of the season to move up in the draft order for the first round. We are kidding ourselves if we think this team is going anywhere this year, so might as well improve our position in the first round as best we can. Coming in the middle of the pack again isn't going to get us back to where we need to be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chiguy is offline Registered User

Pisa at WS and 'Spoon at SS would be a pretty small LB corp.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Their biggest need? To lose as many games (hopefully all) between now and the end of the season to move up in the draft order for the first round. We are kidding ourselves if we think this team is going anywhere this year, so might as well improve our position in the first round as best we can. Coming in the middle of the pack again isn't going to get us back to where we need to be.
    I would never shoot for a loss...but yeah we aren't going anywhere this season...lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Ya know what's kinda sad? I read this post about a week ago and was preparing to fire off a response to box BigRed's ears!! However, upon further review-yesterday's game (ahem), it is unfortunately apparent that Mr. BigRed's statement is probably more accurate than we would like to admit. I will state for the record that this week's game against the Kool Aid Drinkers from the NW is a must win or we can then proceed to Biggie's plan whether we like it or not.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12