• Aldon Smith

7 10.94%
  • Robert Quinn

7 10.94%
  • Akeem Ayers

10 15.63%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Poll: If Julio Jones and AJ Green gone, who would you like to see the Rams take

[QUOTE=Shan the Ram Man;381219]I went with Marcel Dareus.

The only player that might still be there is LB Akeem Ayers on the list.

Agreed... Not a very realistic poll...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Poll: If Julio Jones and AJ Green gone, who would you like to see the Rams take

I look at it like this...

If Jones isn't there at 14, it's because we traded up to get him earlier if that's the player we really covet.

I'm a huge fan of doing whatever is necessary to secure the guy you really want (within reason, of course) instead of settling for less. Particularly in this case where a number one caliber WR is definitely our biggest need and potentially the piece of the puzzle that could put us in Superbowl contention for years to come.

I know someone is thinking I'm thinking, ala Mike Ditka a few years back, when he traded his entire draft to get Rickey Williams.

Well of course not. That was ridiculous. Certainly Jones can be had for far less than something as ridiculous as that, and the Rams need to find out what that price is if Jones is the guy they really want.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Really? Really? You think that we're one Julio Jones away from going to the super bowl?

You don't think that we need OG's to push the pile to actually create a balanced offense?

You don't think we need, now, two starting safeties?

You don't think we need two starting OLB's?

And you said in contention for years to come... admittedly their would be other drafts, but who's playing DE opposite Long? What about DT?

We have serious needs on the defensive side of the ball that need to be addressed. We are not just one Julio Jones away from topping the NFC.

If Jones is who we want, and he's not there at 14... trade down and grab another 2nd rounder. Lord knows we could use it.
    I believe!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If I'm not mistaken the word "contention" means, "in the hunt". Does not mean anything is guaranteed. Does not mean we'll necessarily sit atop the NFC. Does not mean we'll be in the Superbowl anytime soon. Simply means we'll be a team other teams will have to contend with if they plan to be in the Superbowl. And I chose the word on purpose.

It also wasn't just happenstance that I used the word "potentially", in my post.

Of course we need a lot more than just a number one reciever. I just happen to believe a number one caliber receiver is our most glaring need. And I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one of that opinion.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-02-2011 at 11:25 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Do the people that voted for ayers want to change their votes now that he ran a 4.8 at the combine? It sure hurts him a lot in my book. I think people often lose sight of the fact that in the cap era, no team, including the super bowl winner, is without flaws. The lesson of the packers this season is that depth (and of course stellar qb play) is absolutely critical because teams are all going to get hurt. You cant expect to have excellent players at all positions. The key is to get into contention, and then get hot at the right time, stay relatively healthy, and get a bit lucky.

When i look at the rams, i see plenty of areas to improve. But in my view, if we dont dramatically improve the receiver position, we can not get into contention. Our current players may improve at that spot, but a top receiver can help us more than anything else. I am not talking per se about contending in a very weak division, because i think that a game changing receiver would make us the best team in the division. I am talking about the playoffs. Is julio jones that guy? Maybe. Is he the best potentially available guy? Probably. Alas, we are not going to get a shot at calvin johnson or larry fitzgerald.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User

No doubt a playmaker at WR is the obvious need. However, I wouldn't be opposed to stocking up on 2nd rounders ala New England. Say what you want about those *expletives* but they know how to run a draft.

The only drawback to that strategy is obviously the gamble. Of course not all 1st rounders pan out either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12