AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which Positions Are The Biggest Buyer's Market and Seller's Market

Here are mine:

Buyer's Market: Safety
    I think there are a lot of very good safety prospects in this draft who could merit selection in the late first or second round. Included are Matt Elam, Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, D.J. Swearinger, Tony Jefferson, Phillip Thomas and Baccari Rambo. A "wild card" for this group could also be Xavier Rhodes who played CB at FSU, but has the size (6'2, 217) to play safety. I think there is a very good chance that the Rams could use one of their first three picks to acquire one of these players.

Seller's Market: Offensive Tackle
    Right now, there are only two Blue Chip LT prospects: Luke Joekel and Eric Fisher. The list could have been much longer, but Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews decided to return to school, and Chris Faulk was injured early in the year. As a result, I think there will likely be some reaches at the OT spot in the first round. D.J. Fluker is a very good prospect, but most view him as a RT (which he played at Alabama). Others like Lane Johnson and Dallas Thomas may sneak into the first round as well, though they strike me as Round 2 talents. My guess is that the Rams would not look beyond Joekel, Fisher and Fluker in Round 1, but could grab someone in Round 2 if there is not an early run on OTs.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: Which Positions Are The Biggest Buyer's Market and Seller's Market

D.J Swearinger** (You've got Swearington haha).

And I'd agree here, though I do like Lane Johnson as a late 1st round option (at LT).

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    D.J Swearinger** (You've got Swearington haha).
    Thank you. One day, with lots of hard work, you'll make a fine proofreader.

And I'd agree here, though I do like Lane Johnson as a late 1st round option (at LT).
    Are the Rams looking for a LT, though?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Thank you. One day, with lots of hard work, you'll make a fine proofreader.

Are the Rams looking for a LT, though?
    I dont believe they are, but who knows. If the values right, you pounce on it. I think that Joeckel goes top 5, and after this week Fisher probably drops NO lower than 12. I could imagine the Rams taking Fisher if he were to drop (the guy is looking dominant, slide Saffold to RT, improve 2 positions with 1 guy). I wouldn't take Johnson as of right now in our position in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go anywhere from 25-35. LT's aren't easy to find in this league, and Johnson fits the mold!

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

If we're talking about the draft in general, I think buyers has to be D-Line.

One particular mock has 5 going in the top 10 and 14 in the first round. That's a lot of beef.

It's a good year to be in the market, that's for sure. I'm not convinced that we skip over the position ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    If we're talking about the draft in general, I think buyers has to be D-Line.

One particular mock has 5 going in the top 10 and 14 in the first round. That's a lot of beef.

It's a good year to be in the market, that's for sure. I'm not convinced that we skip over the position ourselves.
    DL is not a position.

If you are talking about DEs, there is a pretty good list of prospects, though many are more suited for the OLB position in a 3-4.

At DT, I'd say its a decent sized group.

If we're talking the Rams' three Top 50 selections (16, 22, 47), I'd say DE is pretty much out of the question, particularly if Hayes is re-signed. DT could be considered, though it would surprise me if the Rams devoted such a high selection to the position after selecting Brockers and signing Langford last year.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

AV, while I agree that DL in of itself is not a position, between odd and even fronts and guys who are inbetween classic prototype sizes, DL as a group can be a position. Ends will become OLB in a 3-4. Tackles will become ends in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. Same with OL being a "position," where tackles will shift in to guard.

I think that beers is correct to say that the first round is looking to be pretty stacked with players who will play defensive line. There are few skill players who are shining and looking to be first rounders(my guess will be 4 WR/RB), few QB(3, because of trading up at the bottom of the round), and not many CB's either. As you said, Off Tackles are a bit rare, and only one or two guards will be selected. I'm definitely seeing a very heavy defensive line first round.

All that said, I don't think that we'll be one of those teams buying a defensive lineman early unless the value screams at us or we lose someone between then and now. In the middle rounds I can definitely see it, however, as you can never have too many pass rushers. I agree with you Av that if we grab an OT, it'll probably be one in the 2nd round if he drops.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -01-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    I believe!

shower beers is offline Registered User

I am well aware that DL is not a position.

I used that term because both positions are well represented, and the entire unit looks to have plenty of talent available. And as Teke mentioned, they have the potential to move around a lot and switch positions more than most others.

I agree that we probably won't use an early pick on one, but even in rounds 3 and 4 there is still plenty of talent projected to be available. I think Hayes staying or leaving will have an impact on the decision.