Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Possible First Round Choices... and How I'd React If They Are Selected

Assuming the Rams don't trade down, here's how I'd react to the potential first selections.

The "All Right!" Group
    This group has three players: Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith and Aaron Curry. I'm on record as favoring Monroe but, believe me, it is by the slightest of margins. I could easily see Smith being the better OT of the two candidates, and Curry might be the best player in the draft. I would be happy with any of these three guys wearing horns next year.

The "Hmmmm..." Group
    This group has two players. B.J. Raji and Michael Crabtree. Raji (assuming the drug rumors are false) could be the player who would have the biggest immediate impact on the defense, as he could tie up blockers allowing others to make plays. Crabtree is a big question mark. He could be an elite talent, but I sure would have liked to have seen him run the 40 just once to make sure he's not a 4.7 guy. If the Rams were to go with either of these guys, I'd react with guarded optimism.

The "Wow!" Group
    This is reserved for one player: Mark Sanchez. I think he has the potential to be a franchise QB down the road, but selecting him would truly be a move for the future. With Bulger and Boller on the team, there is little chance he'd see much, if any, action as a rookie. If the Rams took him, I'd be shocked, a bit disappointed, but I'd hold out hope that it would be a move that would pay off in the long run.

The "Huh!?!?!?!?!" Group
    Everyone else.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Possible First Round Choices... and How I'd React If They Are Selected

Now now AV I am a bit ashamed that you would continue this draft talk, but ok I'll bite. In the best interest of the team I say with pride that I am a member of the "All Right" group, let's improve the team NOW! With that being said I am now a Monroe fan being in ACC country I've seen this guy maul down defenders for a while.

Now I believe its been well documented that I wanted us to draft Crabtree before we let go of T. Holt and Big "O", but now with those 2 changes I have to put my personal choices aside and think about what's best for the team I love. We don't have time for a "wow" guy nor a "Hmmmm" pick. We need to start finding solid starters who are going to be in place for year to come, not potential players who may or may not pan out in the pros.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ditto........with one exception. I would add (are you sitting down, tx) to the Hmm list, Orakpo. I know most like Orakpo as a 3-4 OLB, but IMO he will do better as a 4-3 DE. Little won't go on forever, and the idea of Orakpo and Long is intriguing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh HUb, I LOVE YOU MAN.

I think the addition of Orakpo on the D line would increase the pass rush so intensely that it would allow the Rams to focus on a run stuffing MLB only. If the Rams would go Orakpo in Round 1 and OT in Round 2 it would be an "All Right" for me.

However, being the unofficial Secretary of Defense for the Clan since 2001 I wouldn't mind Curry either. Going OT though.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Ditto........with one exception. I would add (are you sitting down, tx) to the Hmm list, Orakpo. I know most like Orakpo as a 3-4 OLB, but IMO he will do better as a 4-3 DE. Little won't go on forever, and the idea of Orakpo and Long is intriguing.
    I would agree but I've seen Orakpo disappear in big games time after time after time and he often plays down to his competition; to me this says something called "inconsistency". Now yes he is a beast and scary coming off the edge but he is very inconsistent. Orakpo fits into the dreaded "wow" group but he is not worth the #2 pick in the draft (sorry Tx).
    Last edited by ManofGod; -04-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I would agree but I've seen Orakpo disappear in big games time after time after time and he often plays down to his competition; to me this says something called "inconsistency". Now yes he is a beast and scary coming off the edge but he is very inconsistent.
    Huh? Sorry but I watched every UT game and I did not see that happen. Evidently, neither did voters who gave him the Lombardi for the top collegiate defensive player of the year and the Nagurski award given to the top defensive lineman of the year. He may not have had the best Fiesta Bowl but alot of players don't play up to their regular season stats because the dad gum bowl games are a month after their final regular season game.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Huh? Sorry but I watched every UT game and I did not see that happen. Evidently, neither did voters who gave him the Lombardi for the top collegiate defensive player of the year and the Nagurski award given to the top defensive lineman of the year. He may not have had the best Fiesta Bowl but alot of players don't play up to their regular season stats because the dad gum bowl games are a month after their final regular season game.
    Hey Tex, I simply gave both the positive and the negatives of taking Orakpo with the #2 pick. Its just not a smart move. Now almost all of the guys slated for the top 10 are litered with awards but that doesn't make them any more suitable for the Rams at #2. We are talking about the best fit for the team in all honesty not because they play for our hometown/area team.

Oh it wasn't just the Fiesta bowl, what about the Texas Tech game, and he was a no show for the Oklahoma game as well. On many levels the dude got handled and it appears that he struggles with OT's that are both strong & mobile....that's not a good look.

Oklahoma game he was a monster. Against OU he won the nations impact player of the week. Stat line for Orakpo against OU: notched seven tackles, two sacks, four TFL, two pressures and a forced fumble versus No. 1 Oklahoma. If that's not showing up what is? Against Tech, he got hurt in the first half because of having his knee rolled onto by one of Tech's O lineman and he missed the 2nd half of that game plus the Baylor game. Some would say because he got hurt the Longhorn defense didn't have enough pressure on Techs QB and that was one reason why Gilbert had so much time to throw to Crabtree.

Excerpt from Texassports.com:

SENIOR (2008)
    Won the Nagurski Trophy (nation's top defensive player), Lombardi Award (nation's top lineman) and Hendricks Award (nation's top defensive end) and was a finalist for the Lott Trophy (defensive IMPACT player of the year) ... tabbed first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association, Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, Sporting News and Walter Camp Football Foundation ... consensus Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year ... a unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection ... appeared in 12 games, starting 11 ... missed the second half of the Texas Tech game and the Baylor contest due to a knee injury ... also was limited at Kansas as a result of that injury ... still managed 42 tackles (31 solo) and led the team with 11.5 sacks (Sixth NCAA), 19 TFL (T-Seventh NCAA), 30 pressures and four forced fumbles (T-12th NCAA) ... helped UT rank first in the Big 12 in scoring defense (18.8 ppg/18th NCAA), total defense (342.9 ypg), rushing defense (83.5 ypg/third NCAA) and second in pass efficiency defense (124.2 rating) ... was named the Lott Trophy IMPACT Player of the week twice for his performances against Arkansas and No. 1 Oklahoma ... opened the season with three tackles, a TFL and three pressures versus FAU ... tallied five tackles, two sacks and three pressures at UTEP ... posted five takcles, two sacks, two pressures, two PBD and a forced fumble against Rice ... recorded four tackles, two sacks, three TFL, a pressure and a forced fumble versus Arkansas ... was named the Lott Trophy IMPACT Player of the Week for his performance ... tallied two tackles and five pressures at Colorado ... notched seven tackles, two sacks, four TFL, two pressures and a forced fumble versus No. 1 Oklahoma ... was named the Lott Trophy IMPACT Player of the Week for his performance against OU's preseason All-American Phil Loadholt ... added a tackle and three pressures, one of which forced an INT, against No. 11 Missouri ... added six tackles, a sack, two TFL and two pressures versus No. 7 Oklahoma State ... posted two tackles, a TFL and two pressures at No. 6 Texas Tech before missing most of the second half with a knee injury ... was held out of the Baylor game and played sparingly at Kansas ... returned against Texas A&M and posted five tackles, 1.5 sacks, three TFL, four pressures and a forced fumble ... added two tackles, three pressures and a sack on the second-to-last play from scrimmage to help Texas secure a 24-21 victory over No. 10 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Oklahoma game he was a monster. Against OU he won the nations impact player of the week. Stat line for Orakpo against OU: notched seven tackles, two sacks, four TFL, two pressures and a forced fumble versus No. 1 Oklahoma. If that's not showing up what is? Against Tech, he got hurt in the first half because of having his knee rolled onto by one of Tech's O lineman and he missed the 2nd half of that game plus the Baylor game. Some would say because he got hurt the Longhorn defense didn't have enough pressure on Techs QB and that was one reason why Gilbert had so much time to throw to Crabtree.
    I hear you on the stat line fam, but the guys that dominate a game like Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis (in his best days), etc. do not allow a team to score 35 pts. on them. They were that dominating so if I'm going to take a DE at #2 then he'd better be as disruptive as the guys mentioned earlier. If not then he does not make the grade (as the fact that that game was nationally televised helped hime win that weeks award, but hey I'm not hating).

Ok, whatever. The man has a monster game, OU scores 50 plus points the last 6 games of the year, Texas holds them to 35 but that's good enough? Alright. Gotchya.

Well, not to derail the thread but this is a good way of how everyone sees things. As my man Cartman says "screw you guys, I'm going home."

LOL
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-10-2009 at 02:32 PM.

35 points is not good fam and even Ray Charles (and he's dead) could see that, now 13-17pts that's good in anyones book.

I've been trying to post the recent scouting notes on him after watching him at his pro day but they won't post for some reason but I'll send them to you Tex if you'd like (in a PM).

Hey man, it's well documented that I don't even factor pro days or combine drills in who I think is good or not. I could care less about what a scout says someone ran a 40 in. I know how good he is, and I know he's a great person to the community because of all the things he's involved in here in Austin and I know he would be a great addition to any team. For the ones who do take these things into consideration, this is from Orakpo's UT pro day.

Orakpo did not disappoint, posting a 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a time of 4.45 in the short shuttle and 7.26 in the three-cone drill. Orakpo held the rest of his numbers from the Combine.
    Whoever gets him, the Rams won't because the position isn't quite that much of a need this year, will get a great player.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Whoever gets him, the Rams won't because the position isn't quite that much of a need this year, will get a great player.
    In that case ... let's hope it isn't the whiners !!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MoG
    I am now a Monroe fan
    Even though his offense was held to less than 18 points in 19 games over the past 3 seasons? And without a TD in 4 of them?

Less than 18 points is not good fam and even Ray Charles (and he's dead) could see that
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Even though his offense was held to less than 18 points in 19 games over the past 3 seasons? And without a TD in 4 of them?

Less than 18 points is not good fam and even Ray Charles (and he's dead) could see that
    Too bad he doesn't play QB, RB, WR, or TE right HU(lol)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast