MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Is it possible we might trade Alex Barron?

It is unknown how our current staff (management & coaching) view Alex Barron. What is known, is that Alex is going to be playing in a contract year. My question to fellow Clannies is: All circumstances considered, does Alex have decent or better trade value?

Billy D. has stated that Barron will be moving to LT, but that could be smoke. Since we are picking at #2 overall, it may be that Billy and Spags already like both Munroe and Smith better than Alex. Would it be cheaper in the long run to trade Alex on draft day and sign up one of the two top OTs to a longer contract?

If we were to draft an OT and then solicit a trade for Alex, I would think the possibility of moving back into the first round wouldn't require selling the farm as far as giving up a host of draft choices .. I've been wondering about this as a possible scenario .. Thoughts ??

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Is it possible we might trade Alex Barron?

Maybe....I mean he's not a bad tackle he just has to many mental lapses. A team may be willing to give up a 4th rounder, maybe a 3rd it all just depends on the situation.

general counsel is offline Registered User

We are not going to trade barron. Even assuming we use a high pick on a tackle (ie round 1 or 2) we really dont have another guy on the roster that can play tackle. Bell is a smokescreen. We arent going to have two rookie tackle starters and goldberg is certainly not an answer.

We will play out the string with Barron and see if he is worth signing long term.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I agree with GC. Barron would still be a better option than Goldberg as a primary back-up but I really doubt the Bell to RT thing sticks so Barron will probably start on one side or the other.

With the big contract carrot dangling in front of him, I really think Alex will pull his slackadaisical finger out this year.Whether that makes him worth keeping is a question we can deal with next year,no?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If current management already feels Alex is not what they're looking for, what would his trade value be? He will have no trade value next year if we keep him as he'll be a free agent.

If he has a breakout year, then we'll have to either franchise him or fork over a huge signing bonus along with a new contract. (Which is fine if Spags and Billy love him I suppose). If the new regime views him as worth keeping long term then this is all moot. The possibility exists however, that Alex may not be the fit at left tackle that current management envisions. If this were to be the case, what is he worth now while still under contract?

jbell15 is offline Registered User

He is worth a million times m ore to us, this year, than he is to any other team.
    We need him at either LT or RT this year, hopefully the light finally turns on for the kid. He has played decent in his time, but we didn't draft him in the first round to be decent. Then again, i wish tye hill was decent.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

After exhaustive research, ie surfing sleepily around the net while doing laundry, I am happy to announce my hope that The Red flag Barron will darken our skies no longer and Elvis will enter the building.

Denver needs a RT. Both their options are undrafted FAs. They are possibly switching to a 3-4 defense(Nolan's style) & Elvis Dumervil is too small for a 3-4 DE , Denver has several other 4-3 DE options,and Elvis is a risky conversion to OLB (think Gholston).He may be expendable to them, as good a pass rusher as he is.

Given their weak options at RT & multiple needs on D, I don't think package of a durable experienced former first rounder OT like Barron with a late pick(5th-7th) would be laughed at. We draft the best OT and find, at worst, a stop gap option, probably at RT, from the Goldberg,Greco,Bell,lesser FA, lower pick pool(X. Fulton?).

I think with either Greco or Setterstrom at RG ( I say Cogs' tender gets rescinded & we pay him the 110% salary deal as a back-up.He really was very poor at times, never mind the penalties) and a better center plus a real FB, an unspectacular RT could suffice.

A risk worth taking for not watching our hopes get strained along with Little's hammie or stubbed like his toe? Mebbe, sez I. Any upgrades at LB, DT, CB, in personnel/performance would show up in the scoreline that much more quickly with Elvis at RDE and Long at LDE. Hall and Little as back-up/rotation.

The Abraham trade that Devaney was a big part of in Atlanta is my precedent. That is where the turnaround started for them,imo.Then 2 yrs of drafting a lot in the top 3 rounds-I think 10 picks, about half are already starters if not stars.BD didn't orchestrate that second part in Atlanta but it sounds like it is his preference as well. But there is evidence that he'll also pull the trigger on the right trade target. Spags isn't unfond of sacking the QB, either.

Barron at LT is the conventional/treading water answer but even if he's good this season, non-exclusive franchise tagging him to ensure it isn't a contract year blip, keep him relatively cap-friendly(average top 5 OT salary but no huge bonus) or getting an extra good chunk of the next 2 drafts ( 2 firsts or equiv.) if he left,means we can't tag another guy we are completely sure we want to keep.Or absorb the hit if someone has to go like Bulger or Bell.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Sorry, don't see it happening. Barron needs to be given an opportunity with new coaching. If you think Spags can turn the Rams around, why can't he turn Barron around? He's a fine player once the ball is snapped so maybe all he needs is some quality coaching, consistent oversight and some motivation. Linehan failed in a few of those categories so let's give Barron a chance.