NY Giants trade pick #31 to Chicago for picks #44 & 75
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    31. Chicago(f/NYG)- Joe Flacco QB Delaware

Here's a bonus two picks for my Rams brothers and sisters:

32. Miami- Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma***
    33. St. Louis- Pat Sims DT Auburn***

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: PossumMock 3.0

although i dont agree with either draftpicks, the mock was put together very well.

IMO: the order should be chris long( i know he was gone), Dorsey, jake long, then gholston as a last resort, mainly becuase im tired of hearing of his potential and he shot up the boards because of workouts.

If we dont go OT in the first, and Cherilus (sp?) is there in the 2nd and groves isnt there, we should take him before sims, although this is just my opinion
    Built RAM tough

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    then gholston as a last resort, mainly becuase im tired of hearing of his potential and he shot up the boards because of workouts.
    I'll maintain the "shooting up the board because of workouts" hasn't happened.

I've had him pretty high for a long time, myself. He is a player, not a workout warrior.

In a predictive mock, I do know the Rams pretty much always draft for need. A true pass-rush from the RDE spot is a critical "need".

Gholston is mainly a potential player, he's a risk to take, so why take a risk when you can have a safer pick with someone else.

Of course noone is garunteed to have a good career, so you can label them all risks, but gholston is a bigger risk than both longs or dorsey.

Correct me if im wrong, but didn't he get a majority of his sacks in like 2 or 3 games last season? Im not sure but I thought he did....

Either way I won't be too dissapointed if we took him, but would much rather have one of the safer bets.

also, to add to my other post, so your telling me that a 260+ pound DE that registered a 4.5 40 time didnt help his stock, also 37 bench press reps? sounds like a workout warrior to me
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    Built RAM tough

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

gholston is a bigger risk than both longs or dorsey.
    because? As you say every player has a risk factor to them, but to be fair, Gholston had the same amount of sacks as Chris Long, more than double Dorsey's, and is one of two players ever to record a sack against fellow "safe" candidate Jake Long.

Quote Originally Posted by RP16
    sounds like a workout warrior to me
    But the point is he's not solely that. His stock is a result of excellent play on field. He was already considered a potential pick at number 2 (Nick had him at number one overall in an earlier mock draft) before the combine solidified his status as not only a productive collegiate athlete, but a physical beast as well. That's what the combine's for. To confirm things we already knew aginst those things we didn't. My point is, just because he was physically successful at the combine doesn't mean he's an instantaneous risk for that reason.

i say hes a bigger risk than chris long because Gholston has a tendancy to dissapear at times, there was 6 games that he didnt register a sack. 6 games out of 13, in 4 of the games that he did register a sack, he had more than one 4,3, 2 and 2. so it seems he is kind of a streaky player.

you cant really complare hom to dorsey sack-wise because they play two different positions. and jake long allowed 2 sacks, i mean seriously, 2 sacks, thats good!

i apologize that if i inferred that soley due that he did well in workouts that he wouldent be good on the field, what i meant to say was that over the years we have seen many of these insanely strong physical players who seem better than they are because of their numbers, i understand he had 14 sacks last year but im just not sold on him, and i think the reason im not sold on him is because alot of people are sold on his pontential, which frankly, im tired of hearing about. i want a player that can come in and contirbute right away.
    Built RAM tough

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

i apologize
    For what? For having an opinion? Don't apologise for that. Voice it! That's what these boards are for.

Quote Originally Posted by RP16
    i think the reason im not sold on him is because alot of people are sold on his pontential...i want a player that can come in and contirbute right away.
    But isn't that what any draft prosect is, at this stage of their NFL career? Potential? There is no player to be guaranteed success. All players purport to play a certain way in the NFL, and it's up to teams and scouts and we fans to scrutinise and determine just how effective they project to be at doing what they purport to do. There's no player who's guaranteed to come in and contribute right away. What people see in first round prospects is how they project to do just that. Do you see what I'm trying to draw destinction between?

And as such, we see that many scouts/fans/teams/whoever recognise that Gholston, Long etc, are in among the top 4 or five players who purport to realise their potential in the NFL. And I daresay the reason you hear so much about Gholston's potential is because, according to everything either of us have read, he projects to be the type of NFL player than can reach and surpass it.

Hey, Possumboy, you really think a round 2 DT is the go? I think the time is right, there, to address another position. Perhaps OT, perhaps, WR.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-01-2008 at 04:53 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Nicely done but I have to say if Limas Sweed is available to Tennessee at their pick, they snag him. They don't wait the ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    For what? For having an opinion? Don't apologise for that. Voice it! That's what these boards are for.

But isn't that what any draft prosect is, at this stage of their NFL career? Potential? There is no player to be guaranteed success. All players purport to play a certain way in the NFL, and it's up to teams and scouts and we fans to scrutinise and determine just how effective they project to be at doing what they purport to do. There's no player who's guaranteed to come in and contribute right away. What people see in first round prospects is how they project to do just that. Do you see what I'm trying to draw destinction between?

And as such, we see that many scouts/fans/teams/whoever recognise that Gholston, Long etc, are in among the top 4 or five players who purport to realise their potential in the NFL. And I daresay the reason you hear so much about Gholston's potential is because, according to everything either of us have read, he projects to be the type of NFL player than can reach and surpass it.

Hey, Possumboy, you really think a round 2 DT is the go? I think the time is right, there, to address another position. Perhaps OT, perhaps, WR.

yeah i understand where your coming from, when i was talking about his potential though i was talking about how some believe he has a higher roof to improve, where i dont exactly buy that. like i said before, he had 11 of his sacks in a 4 game spand, to me that really doesnt cut it, because of how he was neutralized in the other games, i dunno man maybe its just me, but i dont buy in on him.
    Built RAM tough

Gholston is mainly a potential player, he's a risk to take, so why take a risk when you can have a safer pick with someone else.
    He's a "potential" player that already proven he's a better pass-rusher than Chris Long.

Who's safer? Honestly?

also, to add to my other post, so your telling me that a 260+ pound DE that registered a 4.5 40 time didnt help his stock, also 37 bench press reps? sounds like a workout warrior to me
    A "workout warrior" is a guy who didn't produce on the field, but tests well athletically.

Anybody that ever called Vernon Gholston a "workout warrior" doesn't know what they're talking about. He's certainly shown that he can play football.

His choice is kind of a no-brainer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Sims was the BPA, IMO.

I'll say this, if it's possible that Glenn Dorsey can go #2 overall to the Rams, it'd be insane to think Pat Sims couldn't go #33 to them.

There were times this past season where he looked more dominant that either Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis.

On a side note, my mocks are generally predictive and not based on what I'd do. I would make the Sims pick there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Nicely done but I have to say if Limas Sweed is available to Tennessee at their pick, they snag him. They don't wait the ten minutes.
    You could certainly be right, and he was considered there specifically.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    He's a "potential" player that already proven he's a better pass-rusher than Chris Long.

Who's safer? Honestly?
    so hes a better pass rusher than chris long, yet they had the same amount of sacks? and chris long is better against the run, where as gholston seems more one dimensional.

you can ask gholston if hes a workout warrior and he'll tell you he is. i know he has produced but it came in bunches!!! he dissappeard in many games and i dont want a player like that.
    Built RAM tough

so hes a better pass rusher than chris long, yet they had the same amount of sacks? and chris long is better against the run, where as gholston seems more one dimensional.
    Gholston has more sacks in his college career as a junior leaving early than Chris Long does as a senior.

There is probably no debate in the pass-rush category.

Gholston brings the element that the Rams need first and FOREMOST. That element is also what you pay big money for.

you can ask gholston if hes a workout warrior and he'll tell you he is. i know he has produced but it came in bunches!!! he dissappeard in many games and i dont want a player like that.
    The words "workout warrior" certainly have a diffrent context this time of year. Gholston's draft stock has everything to do with his ability on the field, though, not what he did at the Combine.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Fine with the Dorsey pick.

Don't like the Sims selection... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Gholston has more sacks in his college career as a junior leaving early than Chris Long does as a senior.

There is probably no debate in the pass-rush category.

Gholston brings the element that the Rams need first and FOREMOST. That element is also what you pay big money for.

The words "workout warrior" certainly have a diffrent context this time of year. Gholston's draft stock has everything to do with his ability on the field, though, not what he did at the Combine.
    chris long played in a 3-4 for his first 3 years so you cant really compare them like that, the only way you can compare them is when they both played in the same scheme, which was last year. if you want a one dimentional player, you can pick one up later in the draft, so why pay money for a player that doesnt defend the run as well, when you can pick up that same kind of player in another round.
    Built RAM tough

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Fine with the Dorsey pick.

Don't like the Sims selection... at all.
    I didn't pick Dorsey for the Rams. Did you mean Gholston?

Who would you picked instead of Sims? Hopefully, not a lesser player that fits a "need".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast