Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: PossumMock 3.0

  1. #16
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    I like it, and I honestly see the top 4 picks going that way.

    As much as I want Chris Long, I believe the Phins snag him. They will probably end up getting a OL in the second round. Similar to us.


  2. #17
    PossumBoy9's Avatar
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    chris long played in a 3-4 for his first 3 years so you cant really compare them like that, the only way you can compare them is when they both played in the same scheme, which was last year. if you want a one dimentional player, you can pick one up later in the draft, so why pay money for a player that doesnt defend the run as well, when you can pick up that same kind of player in another round.
    Somehow I think people are getting confused that his "one dimension" is less valuable than a jack of all trades, master of none. His "one dimension" is premium and more valuable.

    It's ALL ABOUT THE PASS RUSH. First and foremost, the player must cover that, particularly at #2 overall money. Gholston is not terrible against the run by any means, anyway.

    As far Chris Long and the 3-4, he was never a typical "3-4 DE". Had Vernon Gholston gone to Virginia, he'd have seen plenty of action as a "3-4 DE" too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I like it, and I honestly see the top 4 picks going that way.

    As much as I want Chris Long, I believe the Phins snag him. They will probably end up getting a OL in the second round. Similar to us.
    I don't think the draft is going to fall in a way that makes any OL pick desirable at pick #33, so I hope they don't force a pick....as the Rams are apt to do. And we all know, the Rams are apt to blow a draft.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

  3. #18
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,824
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Somehow I think people are getting confused that his "one dimension" is less valuable than a jack of all trades, master of none. His "one dimension" is premium and more valuable.
    And that's the truth. Look at Shawne Merriman's one dimension, and what it has done for San Diego.

    By the by, that's not to say that Chris Long is a master of no particular trade. I like him as a "complete package" RDE.

  4. #19
    PossumBoy9's Avatar
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    And that's the truth. Look at Shawne Merriman's one dimension, and what it has done for San Diego.
    A pass rush is everything.

    As a dome team, the Rams need to be built to succeed in the passing game. They also need to be equipped to defend it.

    With the "elite" LTs getting old, and Joe Thomas playing in the AFC, Gholston should be entering an era in the league he can feast on.

    I don't see any "elite" LTs on the horizon. Jake Long is a notch below. Besides, the whole civilized world knows Gholston has no problem with Jake Long anyway.

    I mean no disrespect to Chris Long, but I'm just not sure he'll wreak havoc as a pass-rusher. The opposing coaches will think about Gholston much more.

    I prefer Gholston at RDE and C. Long at LDE in a 4-3. As far as "need" goes, the Rams need a RDE.

  5. #20
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    We do need a pash rush. Dorsey wont give us that like Chris Long and Gholston will. I know it. We need a pass rush bad, and we need that DE in the first round no doubt.

    Who knows, with a good pass rush and pressure on the QB, Tye Hill may be good, and TX may finally have respect for him.

  6. #21
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Hey moose, read my post in Rams Talk...the one about Wroten. You may get a chuckle.


  7. #22
    PossumBoy9's Avatar
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    We do need a pash rush. Dorsey wont give us that like Chris Long and Gholston will. I know it. We need a pass rush bad, and we need that DE in the first round no doubt.
    I don't really want to compare Gholston to Dorsey or S. Ellis, because they play different positions.

    I think those two DTs will certainly provide a good inside pass rush, particularly Ellis.

  8. #23
    ramsplaya16's Avatar
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    coral springs. Florida
    Age
    22
    Posts
    881
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    And that's the truth. Look at Shawne Merriman's one dimension, and what it has done for San Diego.

    By the by, that's not to say that Chris Long is a master of no particular trade. I like him as a "complete package" RDE.
    Okay, you brought up merriman, but I don't believe merriman would be nearly as effective for us unless we switched to a 3-4.

    Im pretty sure merriman plays the rushing outside backer in a 3-4 scheme, so therefore his job first and foremost is to get to the QB. His job isn't to stop the run, its to get sacks. I can see gholston absolutly tearing it up as a 3-4 olb, where he can focus on his pass rush skills.

    But possomboy, I understand he's not terrible against the run, but he specializes in pass rush, so your paying a lot of money to shore up the pass rush, yet our run defense was by no means great, I know pass rush is a WAY bigger need than run defense, but I remember 2 years ago when teams were putting up 200 yards rushing on us constantly. I just don't see the value in gholston when you can get that kind of player in a player like quentin groves in rd 2 or another pass rush specialist

    Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post

    As far Chris Long and the 3-4, he was never a typical "3-4 DE". Had Vernon Gholston gone to Virginia, he'd have seen plenty of action as a "3-4 DE" too.
    i dont exactly understand what your trying to say here? i said that because a 3-4 DE isnt expected to get many sacks, but he was very effective once he switched to the 3-4 if Gholston was a 3-4 DE, he probably wouldent have gotten many sacks either.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    Built RAM tough

  9. #24
    PossumBoy9's Avatar
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    I just don't see the value in gholston when you can get that kind of player in a player like quentin groves in rd 2 or another pass rush specialist
    If I had a crystal ball and knew who I could get in later rounds, it'd make drafting much easier.

    Gholston is the type of player that I could see being a Defensive Player of the Year in his career sometime. I'm not saying it will happen, but I do like him....perhaps more than most.

    I appreciate your input, BTW.

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    i dont exactly understand what your trying to say here? i said that because a 3-4 DE isnt expected to get many sacks, but he was very effective once he switched to the 3-4 if Gholston was a 3-4 DE, he probably wouldent have gotten many sacks either.
    I'm simply saying that Chris Long really didn't play all that much "inside". He moved all around. He played more like an OLB for the most part in the Gator Bowl.

    I was just suggesting Virginia would move Gholston around too.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

  10. #25
    ramsplaya16's Avatar
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    coral springs. Florida
    Age
    22
    Posts
    881
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    If I had a crystal ball and knew who I could get in later rounds, it'd make drafting much easier.

    Gholston is the type of player that I could see being a Defensive Player of the Year in his career sometime. I'm not saying it will happen, but I do like him....perhaps more than most.

    I appreciate your input, BTW.
    very true, he could become one of those players like peppers or another great DE, as i said before though, i wont be too dissapointed if we pick him, i mean as you said, it does fill a need, i just think there are more effective ways to do so, but he who knows? i guess we will just have to wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    I'm simply saying that Chris Long really didn't play all that much "inside". He moved all around. He played more like an OLB for the most part in the Gator Bowl.

    I was just suggesting Virginia would move Gholston around too.
    i wasnt aware that long moved around alot in that 3-4 scheme, as i only saw one of his games against miami, okay i see where your coming from though, i think gholston is a better rushing/ outside LB than long, no doubht about that, just that long seems to be the all around DE. well find out though, one way or another, i too am enjoying this conversation lol.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-01-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    Built RAM tough

  11. #26
    PossumBoy9's Avatar
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    i wasnt aware that long moved around alot in that 3-4 scheme, as i only saw one of his games against miami
    I only saw Virginia play twice this past season. Once was against my favorite team, Texas Tech, in the Gator Bowl.

    I've seen much more of Gholston, since I live in the Midwest.

    I know the Big Ten & Big 12 prospects very well.

  12. #27
    ramsplaya16's Avatar
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    coral springs. Florida
    Age
    22
    Posts
    881
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    I only saw Virginia play twice this past season. Once was against my favorite team, Texas Tech, in the Gator Bowl.

    I've seen much more of Gholston, since I live in the Midwest.

    I know the Big Ten & Big 12 prospects very well.
    just because i kno youve seen them now i i believe your statements much more, so you think you could sell me on him?

    i know some acc prospects, but i know all the Miami prospects. i focus mostly on my team, dont really care about the otehrs in the division, lol
    Built RAM tough

  13. #28
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,824
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    Okay, you brought up merriman, but I don't believe merriman would be nearly as effective for us unless we switched to a 3-4.
    Sure, but Merriman was a 'tweener' in college, who played primarily the role you describe. It's just an example of how a player who is well suited to your system can thrive in it. Merriman's one dimension has impacted significantly on the Chargers, as Gholston's one dimension purports to do as a pass rushing defensive end.

    I think, for what it's worth, Gholston is the better rusher, but Chris Long is still my pick for the reason that he's a great all around prospect. I think the signing of James Hall will be a very valuable one if we happen to select Gholston, as he was more of a run-stopping specialist last year.

  14. #29
    PossumBoy9's Avatar
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Texas
    Age
    39
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile Keep posting, Playa !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    just because i kno youve seen them now i i believe your statements much more, so you think you could sell me on him?
    Yeah, I think I can....particularly relative to the players at the top of this draft. I think the buzz of him "taking plays off" is way overblown and not accurate. I'm sure you could look at film of the "high motor" Chris Long and find plays that he "took off".

    If I was 100% confident that Glenn Dorsey was healthy, he'd be my #1 choice. Luckily, I still have a month to get confident about that.

    i know some acc prospects, but i know all the Miami prospects. i focus mostly on my team, dont really care about the otehrs in the division, lol
    There have been some years that the 'Canes prospects are the only ones worth knowing.

    Hey, I noticed your age. It's cool you're stepping up and offering your opinions. Don't ever let anybody tell you anything because you're young, as if they know more than you.

    I was something like 20 when I became PossumBoy9.

  15. #30
    rams_fan81's Avatar
    rams_fan81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    21
    Posts
    520
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: PossumMock 3.0

    Ramsplaya16 you bought up that Gholston had been shut down in many games but Ohio State was a good team and they were winning by a lot in many of their games so Gholston wasn't playing as many minutes per game whereas Virginia played a lot of closer games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PossumMock 0.5
    By PossumBoy9 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: -12-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •