throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Post-Combine Media Mocks: Very Little Consensus

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Post-Combine Media Mocks: Very Little Consensus

Here's a survey of some of the Mocks out there in the media. As you can see, while there is certainly a trend toward OL, WR and S, there are still many viewpoints out there as to how the Rams will use their selections:

Gil Brant (NFL.com): Cordarrelle Patterson/Menelik Watson

Josh Norris (RotoWorld): Cordarrelle Patterson/Jonathan Cooper

Bucky Brooks (NFL.com): Kenny Vaccaro/Keenan Allen

WalterFootball: Jonathan Cooper/Alec Ogletree

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report): Chance Warmack/Jonathan Cyprien

Don Banks (CNNSI): Kenny Vaccaro/Tavon Austin

Peter Schrager (FoxSports): Keenan Allen/Kyle Long

Pete Prisco (CBSSports): Lane Johnson/Jonathan Cooper

Doug Farrar (Yahoo): Cordarrelle Patterson/Kenny Vaccaro

Pat Kirwin (CBSSports): D.J. Fluker/Keenan Allen

Clark Judge (CBSSports): Tavon Austin/Jonathan Cooper

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Post-Combine Media Mocks: Very Little Consensus

An interesting list to be sure, but I really can't see Cordarelle Patterson or Lane Johnson anywhere available at pick 16.

And I also don't see Kyle Long as the 22nd best player in this draft at all at this point.

Things might change a bit after the pro days so we'll have to wait and see.

Still I am hoping that the Rams are ready to pick up some needed talent and fill some holes.

Go Rams!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Twelve different names for just two spots!

It's a position the Rams just aren't used to. When you're picking in the top 5, everything is a little more cut and dry. But two spots in the back half? Things get hairy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The only ones I fully reject are Cyprien (second round prospect), Ogletree (not even on my boards) and Long (probably a 3rd round guy). I also think Watson is very questionable as a first round pick.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only ones I fully reject are Cyprien (second round prospect), Ogletree (not even on my boards) and Long (probably a 3rd round guy). I also think Watson is very questionable as a first round pick.
    I like Cyprien and think he's in contention for being the #1 S spot (as well as Vaccaro and Elam), but I agree with the other two.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I like Cyprien and think he's in contention for being the #1 S spot (as well as Vaccaro and Elam), but I agree with the other two.
    Before the Senior Bowl, Cyprien was regarded as a mid-round pick. While he certainly had a good week, I think its premature to put him in the category of the top safeties in the draft. Let's not forget, he played against mediocre competition in college.

Right now, I'm in a wait-and-see mode on Cyprien, pending his Pro Day. If he runs well, I will almost certainly put him on my Day 2 watch list but, absent a truly eye-popping workout, I doubt I'll consider him as a first round propspect.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Good post AV, the mocks are all over the place and as HUB states middle of the round it gets hairy. I personally think we will go offense for the 2 first round picks, assuming the value is there. This will be a critical year for Sam Bradford, not make or break, but important in his ascendency. For that reason I see Jeff and Les making certain he gets the protection and receiving help he needs. Last season they were playing with "house money", this year the expectations will be higher and they need to make certain the improvements are made. Our defense is very good and there will be some improvements, probably in free agency. I'm hoping William Moore at Safety of Atlanta can be signed for realistic money.

Having said all that I'm on board with Pete Schrager of FOX with Keenan Allen and Kyle Long. Allen will give us a physical WR who probably can make contested catches (a la Anquan Boldin). This assumes his injury is healed and he's fine for the long-term. In the event he's not fine then Tyler Eifert would be my choice.

I will disagree with you AV about Long being a 3rd rounder. After his good Combine performance he was moving up. There will also be a surge for OL that will push talented players higher than they would normally go. Long also offers versatility to play OG and OT, adding to his value. Imagine the practices with Long at RT vs Long at LDE. I think he's the type of OL Jeff would like cause he's got a nasty streak and good bloodlines. I just don't envision Jeff making his first OL pick be a guy with weight issues, namely DJ Fluker. I don't care how highly rated he is.

Now I must add that I could see us taking Long at a later spot than #22 because there could be a trade if Geno Smith is still on the Board. Don't think I'm crazy, but one of the early 2nd round teams might want to get back into the first round to grab him. That may apply to other players too. I think Les is shrewd enough to pull it off and get us a few extra picks in round 2 or 3 (depending on the point value of #22). My hunch is that there isn't such great value for players that we may want after our first pick at #16. The value in this draft in my mind lies in rounds 2-5. Its tough to forecast trades because you need a partner, but I'm sensing that we'll see one for us.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -02-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Before the Senior Bowl, Cyprien was regarded as a mid-round pick. While he certainly had a good week, I think its premature to put him in the category of the top safeties in the draft. Let's not forget, he played against mediocre competition in college.

Right now, I'm in a wait-and-see mode on Cyprien, pending his Pro Day. If he runs well, I will almost certainly put him on my Day 2 watch list but, absent a truly eye-popping workout, I doubt I'll consider him as a first round propspect.
    Understandable. To me he is just as talented as Vaccaro, so if Vaccaro is widely regarded as a top 15 prospect I've got to have my guy Cyprien around there. He'll probably end up going between 25-35 though. I'm interested to see if any of these guys can separate from each other in their pro days. I do really like the value in Swearinger in the 2nd though.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I prefer any combination that gives the Rams a WR and OL in the first round... the safety class is pretty deep and I'm sure that we'll be able to pick up a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round. I forgot what website it was from, but my fave mock had the Rams picking up Tavon Austin and Jonathan Cooper in the 1st round, Cyprien in the 2nd, and Kyle Long in the 3rd. I doubt that Cyprien and Long will drop that far, but anything can happen right?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I'm not that into Cyprien. Admittedly I didn't watch any FIU games so I have to rely on scouting reports, but everything I've read says he fits the mold of a run supporting strong safety. Unless we send Mikell packing, I think we are more in need of a center fielder type.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I'm not that into Cyprien. Admittedly I didn't watch any FIU games so I have to rely on scouting reports, but everything I've read says he fits the mold of a run supporting strong safety. Unless we send Mikell packing, I think we are more in need of a center fielder type.
    I like Phillip Thomas, probably one of the better safeties in coverage, plus he has some of the best hands I've ever seen from the Safety position

citr92 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I like Phillip Thomas, probably one of the better safeties in coverage, plus he has some of the best hands I've ever seen from the Safety position

oo, totally forgot about him, seen him play a while ago

wouldn't mind having him, actually, looks like one of the better safeties, especially from a ball hawk standpoint

could be a steal

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Still rather have Elam over Vaccaro... And Jonathan Cyprien? Third round and give me Bacarri Rambo all day over him...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Not too big a fan of any of them, but that's just because I continue to think that the Rams would be better served by grabbing Eifert(I think now the consensus top rated TE) and letting our rookie WR's develop into what our coaches and front office saw in them. If we had to grab a WR, I think Allen at #22 is my favored, because he just seems so much in the Fitzgerald/Boldin mold where he's not a burner, but he'll get anything to throw at him.

Brooks and Kirwin are my favored of the set, with Vaccaro and Allen and then my much more favored one of Fluker and Allen I think the OT's are sliding up the board and #16 is a fine spot for a top RT. Allen(If we have to go WR) or Eifert at #22 would make me quite happy.
    I believe!

A couple more from NFL.com:

Albert Breer: Justin Hunter/D.J. Fluker

Daniel Jeramiah: Chance Warmack/Tavon Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast