smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Potential FA Offensive Linemen

The Free Agent Offensive Linemen class this year is mediocre at best, and with Alan Faneca signing his deal with the Jets, it's looking thinner and thinner.

There are, however, a few names on the market, guys I think we should take a look at:

Jacob Bell, G, Titans
    6'4, 295 lbs, 26 years old.

Was valued by the Titans, apparent due to the fact that they tried to resign him before he walked. According to Rotoworld, the Rams are looking to pursue him now that Faneca is locked up. I like this move more as Bell brings starting experience as well as youth to the table, unlike the (almost) 32 year old Faneca.

Rex Hadnot, C, Dolphins
    6'2, 325 lbs, 26 years old.

Started every game in the past 3 years for the Dolphins Offensive Line, the only real brightspot on that Dolphins team last year.

Shane Olivea, T, Chargers
    6'4, 312 lbs, 26 years old.

A solid tackle on a solid Chargers OL.

Any of these guys would provide upgrades and depth and all bring youth and starting experience to the table, without busting the bank for overpriced vets.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Potential FA Offensive Linemen

Does anyone know anymore about why Olivea lost his starting job? Was it more of, his backup was better, or more of, he fell off the wagon?

Anyway, I'd take Bell for sure. I'm unsure on Hadnot, however. Don't know much about him.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'd be OK with any of these guys I suppose, but my preference is to not spend a lot of money on a tackle. I'd much rather see us draft a guy there and sign someone like a Steussie (if not him) as a depth player.

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Does anyone know anymore about why Olivea lost his starting job? Was it more of, his backup was better, or more of, he fell off the wagon?

Anyway, I'd take Bell for sure. I'm unsure on Hadnot, however. Don't know much about him.
    If you've got the money the preference is probably to just ante up for Bell. Hadnot is a pretty decent fall back. Olivea was a later round pick and got a decent contract a year or two ago. I've heard that Olivea got a little complacent with the big deal, but he's also got back issues. It's also possible that he didn't fit in with Norv's staff/style as well as Schottenheimer.

The Jets are supposedly interested. He's a NY native, but Brian Schottenheimer (OC) coached him so that is a good sign.

A guy the Jets are hard after is Damien Woody. Woody was a C and lost his job as starting G in Detroit, but started the last few games at RT and had some positive reviews. Good versatility and presumably won't break the bank.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    All three, knowing their roles here were either going to be diminished or extinguished, had asked to be released.

Olivea had quietly made known he was unhappy as a Charger in recent months. But it was thought the team would keep him at least through training camp, in part because of the big contract he signed in 2006.

Olivea lost his starting job at right tackle to Jeromey Clary in the middle of last season and fell out of favor with coaches over his work ethic and commitment.

Olivea was given a six-year contract a month before the 2006 season that already has paid him $9.5 million. The quick release signals the first glaring misstep by Smith in his awarding of long-term contracts to the Chargers' young players.

“For the Chargers, it didn't work out,” Smith said. “It's not 100 percent . . . He lost his fire.”
    From the San Diego Union Tribune.

Sounds like he struggled a bit after returning from injury early in the season, and then when he was benched, the Chargers didn't really lose a step. His size and skills might make him a better fit at guard, to be honest.